Home | About | Donate

Daniel Berrigan Dead at 94

Daniel Berrigan Dead at 94

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

'We live in a culture of death — and it is up to us to resist it.'

May this blessed man rest in peace....as it was written, the world was indeed better for his beliefs and actions..He is among the few who really tried to make a difference .....

RIP Father Dan. Justice bows her head in sorrow today.

"May the last sound you hear be the wailing of the poor who mourn your passing." an Irish proverb

A long life lived for peace and justice, and an example for all of what is important.

Godspeed, Daniel, on your journey.

"Asked in the interview with America magazine for an inscription for his
gravestone, Berrigan said: 'It was never dull. Alleluia.' " http://tinyurl.com/z974rza (Telesur)

It is rare times when the forces of society and religion don't destroy what's good in a man but rather forge greatness. He was one, along with his brother Phillip.

RIP

Too bad he never became President. He would be much better than the 2 Bushes, Clintons, Obama, Reagan etc.

Too bad there wasn’t a thousand more like him.

Fr. Berrigan - the radical priest.

Dan reopened the door on faith for many of us 60s revolutionaries, radicals and rebels! He was the anti Vietnam War priest (who traveled to Vietnam along with his friend the historian Howard Zinn in the cause of peace during the war), the civil disobedience priest (who spent years in jail), the priest who reminded us of Jesus the revolutionary killed by empire! He was the priest of protesters...our priest. It mattered so much that he and his brother Phillip who came from the establishment world of our parents (how much more establishment can you get than Roman Catholic priests ?) to a generation of long haired, pot smoking, protesting, peace and love rock and rollers! Hippies got arrested not priests for godsakes! :innocent:

Without out doubt the government hated the radical religious folk. The Rev. Martin Luther Kings, the Berrigans and all those whom they couldn't easily smear and slander and write off as freaks, potheads and drop outs. In Dan there was an iron will and phenomenal courage to step forward in acts of nonviolent civil disobedience when he knew a vengeful government and spiteful judges and prosecutors would likely send him to prison for years of his life. We saw that courage and it gave us the strength to know our cause was just. It is different now when the 60s are over and are a permanent part of the historical record and our anti war protesting is an established part of our culture. Back then it was different. Back then... We were amazed and inspired by the courage of a radical priest.

I hope Dan enjoyed seeing the arrival of Pope Francis. Fr. Berrigan once told me that he chose to work for change from within the church as a priest while his brother would marry and challenge those rules. Hearing Pope Francis I can only smile when I think that Dan finally saw that change begin to happen as he knew it should. Other popes suppressed Liberation Theology, this pope embraces it.

God blessed us with the radical priests (and nuns) back in the 60s. It was the priests and nuns and the civil rights ministers and pastors who couldn't be easily dismissed by cynicism and hate who led us. They were the peaceful warriors whose courage was matched only by their love of justice and peace. You'll never know what a thrill it was unless you were there back then when Fr. Daniel Berrigan went underground to escape arrest. The 60s!

He was our radical priest come to get us released!

Thank you Fr. Berrigan for all your help.

He was a believer who was loved and respected by people of all faiths and non-faiths as well...

And Henry (war criminal) Kissinger gets the Nobel Peace Prize.

Daniel, rest in L.V.X.

I agree with you sentiment but not on Lakota stolen land of the Black Hills. What Whites did and continue to do on Mount Rushmore is an affront to the Sioux.

Dan Berrigan was remarkable in so many ways. A truly good priest in an era when so many of his fellow clerics betrayed the trust of innocents. A man of unbending courage who did not bow to any kind of pressure, either from the church hierarchy or federal prosecutors. I met him in the course of campaigns in three different decades and was struck each time by his great modesty and the attention he paid to each human being.

In an age when everyone was bent on gaining wealth and celebrity, he was completely unimpressed by both. Dan was accessible to any person who sought his help or advice. When I expressed to him my surprise that he had a listed phone number, it was his turn to be surprised. "But why wouldn't I want my number in the phone book? How else would people call me?"

And all that he did was founded on the simple words of the Sermon on the Mount - "Blessed are the peacemakers for they hall be called the children of God."

One curious thing about protesters: they may not live high on the hog while they're alive, but they seem to outlive their persecutors. In some ways we should feel sorry for the other guys.

I first learned about Daniel Berrigan when I was a child in elementary school. I thought he sounded like a hero. Now I'm in my 60s, two grandchildren. I still think he sounded like a hero.

Human history is a very long record of war and conquest. If we blame every white person for every sin committed by white people, we must likewise blame every black person, red person, brown person, and yellow person for all the sins of their ancestors.

I only read recently about this added travesty in the collected works of Lame Deer--so, no. Crazy Horse, according to the Sioux, would not allow any whites to photograph him and the Sioux are not happy with this latest insult.

Who is blaming every "white" person for the sins of so many whites--or rather---those who think themselves white as this is more to the point? Dan Berrigan, Dorothy Day certainly rejected the white privileges that have passed on to so many "whites" here in the US. I had the good fortune to have worked in their sphere of influence many decades ago at the Catholic Worker in NYC and they inspired me certainly to work directly where I lived with a 24 hour food and clothing bank. It was a magical place that brought people of many and no faiths together whose bond was not color but humanity.

Thanks for the link but check out Lame Deer Seeker of Visions. Yes this project was started long ago, the collected works of Lame Deer go back too but he does tell a different view from the perspective of the natives. "The monument has been in progress since 1948 and is far from completion": this does not surprise me after reading Lame Deer--the Sioux, according to him, believe that Crazy Horse himself does not want this statue built.