Home | About | Donate

Danny Glover Supports Landmark Reparations Fund in Chicago Suburb

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/12/14/danny-glover-supports-landmark-reparations-fund-chicago-suburb

1 Like

Doesn’t reparative justice require that assessing the reparations has to actually cause pain of sacrifice to the people paying the reparations? Otherwise the people paying the reparations are “getting off too easily.” ? ?

I do not believe that reparations are owed for slavery. Those reparations were paid in blood, the dearest coin of all, by the 600,000 people who lost their lives in the Civil War.

However, I believe with all my heart that reparations are owed to every black person in America, but especially to those living in lower class neighborhoods, for the crap they have had to go through every day of their lives. I would happily see my taxes go up to have every black person in the U.S. pocket $1000/mo in reparation for the systematic racism that has denied them economic opportunities, that targets them with unfair laws, unfair sentencing, and grossly unfair policing. It would not make up for what they have gone through and still go through. But it would be a start to both balance the playing field, and admit that what has been done is wrong.

1 Like

Reparations to living native American Indians - all of them. Far more ancestors were murdered in the centuries of genocide against them than black slaves.
Reparations to children of cottonbalers from desert storm
Reparations to the 4 million grandparents raising their grandchildren, usually without any additional income.