Home | About | Donate

Data Privacy Is a Human Right. Europe Is Moving Toward Recognizing That.

Data Privacy Is a Human Right. Europe Is Moving Toward Recognizing That.

Sarah St. Vincent

During Mark Zuckerberg’s testimony before the House of Representatives, Representative Anna Eshoo (D-CA) asked the Facebook CEO bluntly if he would be willing to change the company’s business model “in the interest of protecting individual privacy.”

Zuckerberg responded, “I’m not sure what that means.”

“Data Privacy Is a Human Right. Europe Is Moving Toward Recognizing That.”

While in the USA we just let them piss the fourth amendment away, and nobody cared. This country is surely filled with some stupid stupid people.

Between Bush II, Trump, and now Zuckerberg’s “I’m not sure what that means”, it’s a billboard telling you don’t waste you’re money sending you’re kids to a Ivy League School.

The beast won, awaiting my special orders to stfu. The opposition is pitiful and laughed off as easily controlled peons.

I have a hunch that, in those long almost unreadable documents you must approve of before using almost anything available on the net contains some sort of approval for unrestricted use by the program of any information you have been asked to give them before you can use it.
;-})

Look, there’s a really simple solution if you don’t want Facebook to make money off of you. Just don’t use their service! Even if you never put any “personal information” in your profile, every time you like (or, now, react) to anyone else’s posts, share an article, add a friend or follow a site, or even read a post - every time you click a mouse or tap your screen, they are recording and analyzing that information to better target ads. They’ve been doing that for ages, and no one cared. The tempest in a teapot now going on is purely the result of information getting into the hands of folks targeting ads to help President Trump get elected. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama did the same thing and were actually praised for their innovative approach to using social media.

But let’s not deceive ourselves. By the terms of the user agreement every Facebook user signs (you DID read the user agreement, right?) all of your behavioral data belongs to them, not you. They are selling THEIR data, not yours. Calm down or log off.

And since Facebook obtains data even about people who don’t use the social network, this is an issue for all of us.

I guess you missed this part…

Can you explain the mechanism by which they do that? Or are you simply accepting an unproven assertion? If you’ve never had an account, and have never accessed Facebook without an account, the only way Facebook would know you exist is if you were mentioned in someone else’s pst or in an article someone else shared.

I’m just quoting from the article.

I would highly suggest that you not just accept at face value any assertion you hear, regardless of the source. Even highly reputable outlets get things wrong from time to time. Facebook does not traffic in your specific personal information. They don’t sell your family photos to a wire service, and they don’t take your Aunt Martha’s recipe for pickled okra and sell it to a cookbook company. They sell your behavioral information, what you click on and what you like and what you pay attention to. And if you never use their service in any way, they can’t gather that information about you and therefore you are useless to them.

Be alert. Be vigilant. Check and double check all assertions before accepting them as fact. The more sensational the assertion, the less likely it is to be grounded in truth. Blind acceptance of blatant assertion is exactly the behavior the Russians and the Chinese count on with their disinformation campaigns.

Clueless.

Yes. It would appear that you are.