Home | About | Donate

David Graeber, 1961-2020: History is a Living Weapon

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/09/04/david-graeber-1961-2020-history-living-weapon

3 Likes

My best to David Graeber’s memory. His work changed perspectives.

3 Likes

A dream we need to awaken to

Thank you as I now have a new author to read : David Graeber.

1 Like

Eskow is so on point that Graeber is “a soulful cat” – it’s all about enjoying life, goddam it, and he never forgot it. I might have read everything Graeber wrote, he’s been my guru of practical anarchism (filling that role for OWS as a whole, to some extent). My deepest debt to Graeber is for the healing I experienced upon hungrily devouring his masterpiece Bullshit Jobs. Anyone who has experienced aftereffects from coping for decades with cubicle-land, full-time mental mutilation, needs this book, as a life-preserver.

8 Likes

Beautiful tribute - and was taken by Graeber’s observations. Thanks.

1 Like

Well-put.

1 Like

Thanks, Richard Eskow for testament to an engaged progressive mind and a life lived - and to CD thread commentators.

Good example of one of my brothers saying he learned about public figures by following the obituaries - I’ll check out Graeber, now.

1 Like

More appreciation of anthropologist and activist Graeber in latest New York Review of Books:

h ttps://www.nybooks.com/daily/2020/09/05/david-graeber-1961-2020/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NYR%20Ferrante%20Graeber%20Trumps&utm_content=NYR%20Ferrante%20Graeber%20Trumps+CID_5a2899df3ee55bdb441459d141872e35&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_term=David%20Graeber