Home | About | Donate

Days of Miracle and Wonder

Days of Miracle and Wonder

Tom Hayden

We are living in a time of miracles and wonder
Don't cry baby, don't cry
It was a dry wind and it swept across the desert and it curled into the circle of birth
and the dead sand falling on the children and the mothers and the fathers
—Paul Simon

The Boy in the Bubble (Paul Simon-1986)
It was a slow day
And the sun was beating
On the soldiers by the side of the road
There was a bright light
A shattering of shopwindows
The bomb in the baby carriage
Was wired to the radio

These are the days of miracle and wonder
This is the long-distance call
The way the camera follows us in slo-mo
The way we look to us all
The way we look to a distant constellation
That’s dying in a corner of the sky
And don’t cry baby don’t cry
Don’t cry

It was a dry wind
And it swept across the desert
And it curled into the circle of birth
And the dead sand
Falling on the children
The mothers and the fathers
And the automatic earth

The way we look to us all
That’s dying in the corner of the sky
Don’t cry

It’s a turnaround jump shot
It’s everybody jumpstart
It’s every generation throws a hero up the pop charts
Medicine is magical and magical is art
Thinking of the Boy in the Bubble
And the baby with the baboon heart

And I believe
These are the days of lasers in the jungle
Lasers in the jungle somewhere
Staccato signals of constant information
a loose affiliation of millionaires
And billionaires, and baby

The way we look to us all, oh yeah
That’s dying in a corner of the sky
Don’t cry, don’t cry

Since this comment section is Amelia Bedelia land, let me say explicitly that everything this author has said is good. It is what neither he nor the Pope says that needs to be pointed out. He asks no one to retire from or reduce meat consumption even though the animal slaughter industry accounts for over half of all greenhouse gas emissions. No one will mention that 500 pound gorilla in the room. Urging solar panel installation and other such measures is good, but it overlooks the number one source of greenhouse gases and that is inexcusable. The meat industry, with the cooperation of the big environmental groups, has kept itself out of the spotlight, shifting the public's attention to solar panels and other remedies other than reduction and eventual elimination of the animal slaughter industry, the industry that is killing the earth and all of its inhabitants more than all other industries combined. Those who vigorously attack my comments, insisting that cars are the number one problem, or power plants, and so on, need to educate themselves. They have drunk the meat industry kool-aid and will not listen to scientific facts. So they call me a hater, a poor spokesman for vegetarianism, a poor practitioner of Zen (they are right on that one) and so on. Then they deny that the meat industry contributes more than half of all greenhouse gases which denial ranks right up there with the flat earthers. I am looking forward to the day when CD starts publishing articles on the agribusiness industry which is the number one enemy of mankind and all other earthlings. The silence and mis-direction has to come to an end if we are to survive. And since this is Amelia Bedilia land, I have to explicitly state that I understand that the earth will survive even if people don't. And I also have to say that I know people have eaten animals for thousands of years. Pointing out the obvious does not refute what I am saying. And saying "I love my beef yummy yummy" is not exactly an intelligent response but it currently ranks as the number one response, just barely ahead of "You are a bad spokesman for vegetarianism." Could someone please make a comment on the merits? Why is the number one cause of environmental catastrophe being ignored? A paper saying "reduce meat consumption" falls pathetically short of identifying agribusiness as public enemy number one.

Dear reader. This comment is largely directed at me.

I have come to the defense of people that zenpractice consistently attacks, and will continue to do so. His latest attacks have been against Greenpeace, calling them "phonies" for supposedly being "silent" on the issue of the impact the meat industry has on greenhouse gasses. He charges that Greenpeace takes money from Big Ag meat producing corporations yet Greenpeace takes ZERO corporate dollars.

I can't sit idly by and let such bullshit persist unchallenged.

Zenpractice then plays the victim, as if he is unfairly attacked. It's rich indeed!

Zenpractice, I suggest you join forces with Greenpeace, and those other environmental groups that are engaging in activism in their communities. They are out front and center every single day and are actively engaged in getting people to do many things including reducing meat consumption, not purchasing food from Big Ag, and even actively engaged in strategies to close down such facilities.

Have you taken my suggestion of going to that event hosted by the San Francisco Veg Society? As stated on the promotion Greenpeace members get in free. You know, those Greenpeace members that are considered "phonies" by that society of vegetarians. You still have time to make it to the 16th Annual World Veg Festival if you hurry. Please remember, your chance to cavort with vegetarians from Greenpeace (after you join), and their friends in San Francisco is going to end soon unless you act now! FYI the event is the 3rd, and the 4th of October.

Practice more Zen, and be kind to your meat eating Zen practitioners because they are out there.

one hamburger requires 550 GALLONS OF WATER! Enuf said. my cutting back my showers, watering, use of grey water is a pittance compared to the raising of cattle in this country and how much water is required let alone the pollution in methane that comes from cattle being fed products their bodies cannot tolerate.

Look, I agree with you that meat eating is a problem, but anyone who would compare the meat industry with the MIC is delusional. And as I've mentioned to you before, rather than giving these anti-life entities ranking or setting up a "which is worse" scenario, it makes sense to speak out about the various entities that are compromising life across the spectrum.

Since a global financial collapse has begun, it's pretty clear that like our ancestors who only ate meat when it was available, the beef trade will be radically cut back and along with it, meat consumption.

Still, there's no comparison between raising cattle and razing cities. Both do harm, but one does so with an INTENT to destroy; for the other, it's an externalized cost of doing business.

As you and I have both noted, a number of posters are single-issue commentators and they repeat the same message all the time.

I think "Zen" has a point; but not if he primarily uses it to bludgeon the Green Organizations as so many in this forum use the idea that flying on planes does so much harm that attending conferences "proves" that Naomi Klein and Bill McKibben (for starters) are hypocrites.

This "holier than thou" purity test or "one-item line veto" used to decimate the character, reputation, and motives of those persons on the front line of agitating for wiser changes in national and international policy smacks of that same intolerance shown for Bernie Sanders. This "not radical enough" or "not committed enough" to the single issue held up as sacrosanct by Message Shapers seem like Trojan Horse strategies deployed to damage the witness, worth, and credibility of often noteworthy individuals.

In other words, some operation (corporate, likely) is utilizing stealth to ensure that said entity would not lose its "right to profit" were the individual being attacked to otherwise gain political prominence.

How much water do you think the military uses in supplying killer materials to soldiers at 1000 bases around the world?

At "I worry about Hillary's chances," you lost me. Good luck with supporting HRC for a better world.

I know kikiki5, that's a lot of water just for a cheese burger. However the gallon of gasoline one burns in the car to get to McBurger and home again cost 5,000,000 (that's million) gallons of water per frack times about 10 fracks per lifetime of the well times 50,000 wells here in Colorado alone. That's an ocean of water just to get a burger, or a new outfit, or impress someone with, or to manufacture high tech. On and on it goes. It's the entire culture of this civilization with its machismo and high fives that have put us in the boat we're in. It just simply has to change and that is what Hayden is trying to convey in this piece. If we can somehow come out the other side of this horror story everything will most certainly be different. What it will be is up to us alive now to fashion from ourselves while we join with many others for the effort. It's a lot of work and we need workers in the field, committed to a vision of justice for the living force that is in us and around us.

Been saying that for decades. Regardless, keep in mind that to today's poor, our better-off look stunningly clueless, oblivious to the storm on the horizon. Liberals maintain their pep rally for middle class consumers and campaign donors, and that cosmic wheel keeps turning.

Still, water doesn't disappear. It doesn't escape from the Earth's atmosphere. A more critical issue, I think, is the distribution of water over the planet in connection with the profound disruptions of natural weather systems due to the excessive burning of fossil fuels (heating the Earth's surface, filling the air with soot and oil particles, etc.). Very complex issue, but we're in a sound-byte era.

From an American perspective, the "good news" is that as a result of the politics and policies we've chosen since the 1980s, Americans have grown poorer, and real poverty continues to grow as we ignore it. Far fewer consumers, consuming fewer products.

For 10000 years and more the First Nations peoples of our far North and of the prairies and plains lived on diets cantered around meat.

It took 100 hundred years of growing corn and grains to visit more destruction on our environment than those First Nations people did in 10000 .

When those 60 million bison roaming the plains , the water from the wells was still pure and the fish caught from rivers and lakes edible. The issue is not eating meat. It is turning all of nature into an industrial process and of seeing all of nature as little more than feedstock for that industry so as to produce "profits " for the few.

When someone claims "it takes 550 gallons to produce one pound of meat" they are doing nothing more than trying to categorize nature as an industrial process.

A moose in the wild that is never hunted or killed by man or beast and that lives out its entire life span will consume more then 550 gallons per pound of its weight. That is life.

Correct! At 550 gallons (absent reabsorption into the cycle of things...) that one pound of meat would have to weigh 4,400 pounds (absent its protein and fat content, of course). The sniping that occurs over (largely) one-issue activists detracts from what I believe to be a higher goal--BALANCE.

As may ways and places as Hayden has compromised, I think we can assume there's some irony here. He'll support Clinton against a Republican, but he's not supporting her candidacy but rejoicing that she may actually have blown what looked like a sure thing.

Whey the hell are you responding to me AS IF I'm arguing for the mass production of meat?

Let's hope so! :O)

Sorry to hear you had a stroke Tom. Hope you are doing well.

More evidence of general decency: when a horse transport broke down on the M5 just outside of Taunton, England on the afternoon of the 12th, a Saturday, it caused a miles-long tailback.

But a string quartet, returning from a gig in Devon, decided to tune up their instruments and play Pachelbel's Canon, to the great delight of everyone within earshot.

You can see and hear the concert here:

https://www.upworthy.com/a-string-quartet-found-themselves-caught-in-a-traffic-jam-then-decided-to-do-something-about-it-jj10-9e-2?c=reccon3

Bingo! And how much fuel does the Military burn every single day- And how much fuel is spent on building the Aircraft, carriers, tanks, combat vehicles, ordinance etc. for said military-
I see the MIC as the biggest Carbon footprint on this planet- And that doesn't even get into all of the arable land it is poisoning with radioactive isotopes...