Home | About | Donate

Decoding Super Tuesday: Why Sanders Is Still on Track to Win and Why the Democrats Need Him To

Decoding Super Tuesday: Why Sanders Is Still on Track to Win and Why the Democrats Need Him To

John Atcheson

As usual, the mainstream media is confused by the results from Super Tuesday. To hear them tell it, Hillary has all but sewed up the nomination. In reality, Sanders had a good day, and Tuesday’s results suggest he’s set to surprise the pundits yet again.

More importantly, he’s still the best candidate the Democrats can field to defeat Trump.

Here’s why:

Another thing that you will never hear from the "mainstream" media analysis on elect-ability:
Eight years ago after Super Tuesday, Hilliary Clinton was ahead of Barack Obama in the popular vote. So if we had listened to the Hillary camp, Obama had no chance back then. But somehow, Obama eventually won the nomination. (In fairness, Obama in 2008 was doing better with the delegate count.)

The only hope for the Democratic Party is if Bernie secures the nomination. Otherwise, we will have someone like Trump as our next president.

If the nightmare of Trump – or Cruz or Rubio – is to be avoided,it’s up to the young, the alienated and the disaffected to get out and vote for Sanders. (emphasis added)

Not sure if I'm alienated or disaffected, but I'm on it. :wink:

Atcheson makes a good argument but if the polls mean anything then Sanders is in big trouble as some many pundits claim. Most importantly, Michigan is coming on Tuesday and a poll released yesterday has him trailing by 28 points. Florida comes up March 15 and he trailing in the latest poll there by 26 points. That is not on track to win. In Pennsylvania and New Jersey he is trailing by similar margins. If he moves up in the polls in such key states then I will start believing that he hasn't fallen off the winning track.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Bernie made an important stop today at Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville. Southern Illinois is a needy depressed section of Illinois. His appearance was a first at SIUE, no other presidential candidate has ever campaigned there. The place was packed to overflow, as per usual, and I am hoping the young people at SIUE use their energy and help to get out the vote in southern Illinois for Bernie on March 15th.

Right. Identity politics plays into the hands of the oppressors.

Hey Matt, do you think it's possible that the super delegates might actually be asked to follow the elective delegates and popular vote, which could still go to Sanders, given the demographic that has yet to register an opinion in this matter? I find myself tuning out the media, including NPR, which I find has moved significantly to the right since they took on their new CEO.

I dont understand the Black voters being for Hillary....Her husband has done more to hurt them with his legislation and Hillary herself has approved of laws that hurt poor folks of all colors....She is no ones friend yet they hang on her every lie.....It will come back to haunt them if she is president in fact Hillary would be a one term president once everyone sees her for what she is....A corporate team player.

It's not the delegates that are the problem, imho. It's the Super-Delegates.

wiki says:
This list tracks current support for given candidates among the approximately 717 unpledged delegates (commonly known as superdelegates) who will cast a vote at the 2016 Democratic National Convention, to be held July 25–28 in Philadelphia.[1]

Unpledged delegates represent about a sixth of the overall delegate
count (approximately 4,768) and come from several categories of
prominent Democratic Party members:
20 distinguished party leaders (current and former presidents, vice-presidents, congressional leaders, and DNC chairs) (DPLs)21 Democratic governors (including territorial governors and the Mayor of the District of Columbia)46 Democratic members of the United States Senate (including Washington, DC shadow senators)193 Democratic members of the United States House of Representatives (including non-voting delegates)437 elected members of the Democratic National Committee (including the chairs and vice-chairs of each state's Democratic Party)[2]

Superdelegates are "unpledged" in the sense that they themselves
decide which candidate to support. (In other words, they are not
allocated according to voter preferences as the majority of delegates
are.) Pledged delegates can change their vote if no candidate is elected
on the first ballot and can even vote for a different candidate on the
first ballot if they are "released" by the candidate they are pledged
to. Superdelegates, on the other hand, can change their vote purely of
their own volition. With the exception of the 8 DNC members from the Democrats Abroad,
who each receive a half-vote, all superdelegates are entitled to one
vote (including when a sitting official or distinguished party leader is
also a DNC member).

Throughout this page, those who may fall into two
categories are considered as sitting officials first, then as DNC
members, and as DPLs last. (For example, if a sitting senator is
credentialed as a DPL and is also a DNC member, they are listed as a
senator.)

The list below is based on the most recent public indication of
support. The listed individuals are free to change their support at any
time.

As you can see, there are almost no unpledged (Superdelegates) for Bernie. Why do we the public, get so few delegates as opposed to politicians and DNC party people?

Answer: This whole candidate selection system is a scam. It's a Fake Democracy decided in advance by greedy men in smoke-filled rooms.

If I'm reading the scoring table right, Clinton has 460 to Sanders 19 Superdelegates. What a rip-off!

Excellent, just excellent! I would only add that it is a fake democracy decided in advance by the greedy and nihilistic oligarchs and they have the corrupt men in smoke filled rooms doing their bidding.