Home | About | Donate

Decrying 'Toxic Alliance' of Macron and Polluters, Climate Campaigners Stage One of France's Largest Ever Acts of Civil Disobedience

Decrying 'Toxic Alliance' of Macron and Polluters, Climate Campaigners Stage One of France's Largest Ever Acts of Civil Disobedience

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Parts of a major business district just outside of Paris city limits were "paralyzed" Friday when more than 2,000 climate campaigners staged what organizers described as one of France's largest ever acts of civil disobedience.

2 Likes

I fear nothing more than token concessions are forthcoming from their “government” until they start rolling out the guillotines again, but this is certainly a good start.

8 Likes

Token concessions aren’t going to cut it anymore. Climate action is global now, and pulling in more and more people as we realize how much work needs to be done if we are to rein in warming. The only people who are still in denial (aside from US morons) are the Very Wealthy. And we are coming for them.

10 Likes

10 likes!

4 Likes

I don’t think they should wear yellow vests to the protest, it could give Macron an excuse to use tear gas and billy clubs.

1 Like

On the environmental bright side, we in Washington will soon likely have the option to “recompost.”

6 Likes

How, LadyK, are we coming for them?

1 Like

In the streets, predominantly by Youth. Young people (and old!) are waking up in large numbers, and they are increasingly, and profoundly speaking Truth to an entrenched system of power. I truly believe, ST, that while there may be stumbles, a new system is unavoidable. Capitalism doesn’t work.

4 Likes

I wish those marching in the streets luck – I do quite a bit of marching myself. I just hope my fellow marchers don’t fall for the misconception that voting for Democrats is going to be some magic bullet.

3 Likes

“One of Frances’ largest Acts of Civil Disobedience?’” So are they referring to the Blockade that stopped traffic or the little Kids wearing signs? This looks like another typical Not so Scary Demonstration. The Organizers are saying it’s kinda like a Revolution, but not really. I’m sure Macron is terrified…and there are no Guillotines in sight…

2 Likes

He already has, last I saw, they were being pepper sprayed.

1 Like

Now let the Real Civil Disobedience Begin! The People have the right to protect themselves.

1 Like

I’m a slow-healing old coot, so I’d be scared enough to demonstrate in France these days. They’ve been hurting people over there.

But maybe you’re right, I’ve seen plenty of what I’d call “Not so Scary” demonstrations on the USA side of the pond. What do you want? That’s where your comment leaves me at a loss. What distinguishes a properly scary demonstration (a threat to power) from just another prophylactic siphoning-off of righteous energy?

I remember the huge eruption of demonstrations worldwide trying to head-off the impending war on Iraq in 2003. Then we went home, and watched the war proceed. That episode had a profound impact on the engagement of people over a certain age – people who remember antiwar demonstrations.

5 Likes

Kick this fascist out of office, good french people.

It helped a little in the House.

1 Like

Besides people in the streets protesting, the next logical steps may be boycotts and general strikes. The corrupted polluting capitalist systems will not stand to those pressures and will bend (preferably) or collapse. Continuation of business as usual is being threatened globally. Disruption and harder times will become commonplace. The goal is to slow down extinction forces. If not now, then later the anger and fear will be exponential when the glaciers melt away and billions are threatened with no potable water.
It is late in this awakening, and even maybe too late. But we need to try. We need to do with less. And we need to punish the world leaders and CEO’s and their boards who have been aware of the truth of global warming but hid it with massive propaganda and lies to maximize short term profits.
Putting the genie back in the bottle and returning to simpler lives in local communities might seem desirable to many. What is important are common goals of controlling human populations and protecting environment. Working together for the common good is necessary for survival, rather than aspiring to selfish individualist gains.

2 Likes

can’t stand her. we need more people in the streets protesting and following the lead of Greta Lundberg of Sweden.

1 Like

Vive la France!!!

Not sure what you mean. The Pelosi/Hoyer axis of power runs the House.

Or are saying that at least the House is now a check on Trump?

Except for military spending? And blindly supporting Netanyahu? And destabilizing the MidEast? And kowtowing to oligarchs? And enshrining health insurers as the foundation of our over-priced, leave-lots-of-people-out healthcare system?

1 Like

Many youth are more interested in their cell phones and their pay checks .