Home | About | Donate

Decrying Trump's 'Cruel' Refusal to Act, Warren and Markey Unveil Bill to Help Puerto Ricans Left Homeless by Maria

Decrying Trump's 'Cruel' Refusal to Act, Warren and Markey Unveil Bill to Help Puerto Ricans Left Homeless by Maria

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Just before hurricane season officially started on Friday, Sens. Elizabeth Warren and Ed Markey—both Democrats from Massachusetts—announced plans to introduce a bill to address homelessness in Puerto Rico, which is still in recovery mode from Hurricane Maria, the storm that ravaged the U.S. territory last September.

Something refreshing and real. Very nice. Now let’s take the heat off Venezuela, Honduras and Guatemala.

What do you mean?

A very good article on the situation in Venezuela is below. I only wish the corrupt regimes of Honduras, Guatamala and El-Salvador had more heat put on them.

And I dearly hope nobody her is defending Ortega/Nacaragua right now.

Of course Warren and Markey remain silent about the fact that Puerto Rico’s economy is controlled by a financial board that declared bankruptcy in 2017 before Maria because of $70 billion in debt, largely created by Wall St. speculators. Nor do they mention the Duopoly’s PROMESA (bank) bailout that is designed to squeeze the blood from the Puerto Rican people. Nor the corrupt “government” controlled by the financial board and Duopoly. But their whines and tears for the cameras are oh so “heartfelt” and Tweetable. Liberalism at its best.

Trump = Fake Presiden -> Russian agent?

here’s a scenario for you: FEMA as the climate change theater piece for trump.
Early in the 20th century, theFEMA relief from (coastal) disasters came in the form relief to BUSINESSES from tariffs for imported goods.

FEMA has been hijacked by “homeland security”, a 9/11 virtual slurry pot - like the promise of a future filled with another form of “black budget” /parallel economy owned and operated - since Citizens United - by the same who support and depend on the Pentagon pallets.

Trump has already been played like a fiddle by China, notably not subject to the Constitution of the US.

On one hand he desiccated federal agencies, leaves offices, departments and embassies without personnel or understaffed and underfunded (the Reagan model so the repubs are kept in line) implants pyramid favoring ultra-right wing types waiting for the subsequent strangulation to become devastating. When that point is reached, the hawks, the the ethically challenged and legally compromised (what portion of the government?) are ‘tooled-up’ to kiss whatever on whomever to satisfy usurpation in the stunningly brief whoopie of transient lucre as the planet struggles to reset.

'Twasn’t original with me. He acts like a Russian agent, openly and sneeringly.

I do NOT regard Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders as part of an American duopoloy. But I can point to many insider Democrats being too Republicanish. On the other hand, the Republicans do NOT have counterpart Republicans that are like Bernie and Elizabeth. They are forever butt kissing Wall Street and leading us into even more wars on the other side of the planet in the Mideast, and that is the driving force behind our huge multi trillion dollar national debt.

Let’s get “real” about what is happening. The total number of deaths from the recent hurricane were grossly under estimated. Trump has refused to regard that situation as a major catastrophe. I hate to be the one to draw attention to Trumps blatant racism and most Puerto Ricans are in the Black and Brown range of human beings on the planet Earth. Trump’s racism is blatant, as blatant as his sexism. So the problem here is undeniably a racist, sexist Donald Trump. He is grossly unqualified to be president of the United States due to his sexism and racism.

No telling what is happening in the U.S. Virgin Islands no one even hears about them.

This observation confuses a symptom with the source. Trump is everything that you say - and it is sickening - but to attribute the most recent voice of our political-economy as being that political economy is, IMO, a huge error and detracts from the problem of how do we realistically deal with the horrors of advanced post-industrial, financial capitalism.

Of course the people of Puerto Rico need disaster aid, but they do not get it because of their lack of power in the political economic system. And even if they do get humanitarian aid, life in Puerto Rico is hellish because of systemic deprivations that began with the Western colonial project in this hemisphere and remain to this day.

The problem is not small countries, no, far from it.

The problem is a terrorist colonial military empire threatening to use atomic bombs on innocent people living in cities all over the world.

It is easy to throw disparaging judgements at small countries being terrorized and messed with by rich people living in country club golf retreats isolated from the deprived ghettos that pay their bills. I imagine you as supportive of capitalists who dispose of their chemical wastes in every cell of your body for their profit.

Years and years ago before Elizabeth Warren was ever in the Senate, I admired her and her work very much. But since becoming a politician my opinion of her has slid to the point merely hearing her voice sets me on edge. Her tone that once was so sincere and honest is now clouded with feel good platitudes and very little else. So she writes a bill that will never ever be voted on…like Bernie likes to do…the act may look good but it is meaningless in the end. The half- hearted effort of it all is the dead giveaway. Look how many other Senators are standing up there in support. It is all smoke and mirrors bullshit.

Troll.

Not to mention that it’s pretty damn late in the day to become so concerned.

What would a third term Obama have done? You can’t even start a valid defense of Trump on his blatant racism. Puerto Ricans are Black and Brown. While Trump attitude wise is albino Whiter than White. And he is probably snuffing the BIG WHITE up his nose as a coke president. Trump is worse than just a bad president, he is absolutely nauseating.

Much needed legislation — to help Puerto Rico.

Given the reluctance to act by Trump, he is showing us our own futures as
Global Warming increases in events and severity of events.

Currently we are entering a period which will reflect the even more fierce
damage done to the environment after 1968 and onward.

… but the American taxpayer is being forced to bail out our uninsurable nuclear
reactors for PSE&G (etal) and the coal companies which can’t compete with solar
and other renewables.

Agree —

Yet it is the WILLINGNESS of Elites to so destroy Puerto Rico and its people which
we all need to think about and consider – for their future is ours.

Neither do we have the power in our political/economic system …

they do not get it because of their lack of power in the political economic system. And even if they do get humanitarian aid, life in Puerto Rico is hellish because of systemic deprivations that began with the Western colonial project in this hemisphere and remain to this day.