Home | About | Donate

Decrying 'Utterly Inadequate' Efforts to Tackle Climate Crisis, UN Chief Declares 'Our War Against Nature Must Stop'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/12/01/decrying-utterly-inadequate-efforts-tackle-climate-crisis-un-chief-declares-our-war

7 Likes

“For many decades the human species has been at war with the planet. And the planet is fighting back,” Guterres told reporters in Madrid Sunday. “We are confronted now with a global climate crisis. The point of no return is no longer over the horizon. It is in sight and hurtling towards us.”

How much longer until we are told this: WE HAVE NOW REACHED THE POINT OF NO RETURN?

17 Likes

The problem is that the destruction of the planet and the vulture capitalism we have been practicing are intertwined. They are Mutually exclusive. Capitalism is killing us and the Planet.

To save the Planet, and ourselves, Capitalism will have to be eliminated or at least brought to heal. My vote is for ‘eliminated’. it would solve MANY problems

16 Likes

I fear it should already have been said, Shantiananda. I hope I’m wrong but the evidence around us…

8 Likes

When clowns are put in charge of your government, expect the results to be goofy.

7 Likes

The sad fact is that a war against Nature is the way we have created our entire world grid of culture, technology, consumption, population growth.
We’re the only species that consistently has a net negative if not outright ecocidal impact in every ecosystem we enter.
We kill at least 65 BILLION animals per year in the USA alone to feed the non-vegans.
The destruction of the Amazon rainforest mirrors what was done to the vast forests and tallgrass prairie in the lower 48 after Europeans arrived.
There are about 5 billion too many people on the planet, and no ethical way to reduce that number.
For all the innocent species who evolved here with us, we are death.
And we are killing the biosphere itself.
When you hear a songbird or see a bee, stop and take notice. One day, they will all be gone.

15 Likes

I would also hope you are wrong but 10:1 says if you examine the evidence around us you are correct. And for me, that evidence includes a friend of mine who is a Captain of a NOAH climate research, vessel…scary to say the least!

3 Likes

As long as corporations control energy policies through their legalized bribery of governments, nothing will change for the better.

10 Likes

This could be like the movie with Tom Cruise where the cops go after the criminals BEFORE they commit the crime. We could, one way or another, stop the oil companies and their cohorts before they commit aggravated murder on our civilization.

4 Likes

I don’t call it a “war against nature”, I call it a vicious, cold,calculating, deliberate, malicious, violent and hateful war against all children. Nature will be the very process under which their mutilated corpses rot long after the human race lies extinct and cold. Thank you Jesus for your help in waging this war, we couldn’t have slaughtered them without you. All hail the biblical chosen one, Donald Trump, and the billionaire class, who’s leadership in saving the children and all future generations has yet to be seen despite the incredible ease by which they collectively and effectively could create such positive change.

8 Likes

“Our war against nature.” Precisely.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, Adam, their motto is: “Wealth Before Wisdom”.

4 Likes

COP (Conference Of the Parties) 25 begins in Madrid tomorrow 12/02 and continues thru 12/13. Whether this will be more blather by national governments or actual action remains to be seen. Of course, the US national government shouldn’t be allowed to attend given the decision to withdraw from the Paris Agreement.

2 Likes

We have already been told of the tipping point dozens of times if not more, and some of those points were well made several decades ago, both to congress and on the news. In the 1970’s our oil industry had already concluded that the crisis was real and that the masses needed to be manipulated via a disinformation campaign, so they would not negatively respond from an oil businessman’s perspective. Early scientific conclusions were being made as early as the 1950’s. As data collection dramatically increased the conclusions were increasingly clear but in every case the estimates were conservative, as if waiting for the cataclysm itself before making any harsh conclusions. News agencies further lessened the urgency, almost completely eliminating the topic altogether from public consumption, (still a standard practice). Governments, worse yet, became paid agents of the energy industry, and refused to act even on the scarce, watered down, and scattered reports by the media, and by their own scientists such as NASA. But despite the amazing suppression effort, we have nonetheless heard that we are past the tipping point well over 25 times and not a single thing has been done, not one. The real crisis we have always faced is one of our governments total lack of representation, (“our” governments is a stretch), and the inherent moral bankruptcy that capitalism engenders.

Just saying - though it is nothing you personally were not already keenly aware of.

2 Likes

Greta is on her way with a great in a nice beam reach, then downwind run, for arrival in Lisboa early Tuesday, then a high speed electric train (like every developed county has except the USA) to Madrid the next day.

https://cdn.predictwind.com/tracking/display/SailingLaVagabonde

3 Likes

The point of no return is not hurtling toward us.
We’re looking at it in our rear view mirrors.

Kiss nature goodbye. We cut, dredged, fished, mined, and drilled it into oblivion.

10 Likes

The Great Barrier Reef is gone, which only a few short years ago was the largest eco-system on the planet. If that wasn’t a canary in a coal mine then nothing is.

10 Likes

It’s like the GREED capitalists use a stuffed canary instead of a live one.
THAT is their reason for continuing on a path of extinction.

3 Likes

Something from the What it’s worth department…

We have used science and technology to twist and turn and manipulate nature so that it bends to our will.We are slowly destroying nature as it naturally is in an attempt to experience ourselves as we already naturally are .
We are already are what we seek to be— eternal ,unlimited and one with all—yet we do it remember this.So we seek to subdue Life in order that we may have more abundant Life .And we do not even see what we are doing.

We all want Life it’s the single common denominator and the things that support Life .We are afraid that there may not be enough to go around as there is more than one of us .
This is one of the guiding principles that must change in our culture . There is always enough for everyone .On places on the planet where there is not, poverty has been manufacture with the tools of greed .
namaste

3 Likes

“and called for “a clear demonstration of increased ambition and commitment” from world leaders to tackle the crisis.”

Well good luck with the donald dumps of this world.