Home | About | Donate

Defending Undocumented Nannies, House Cleaners and Caregivers in Trump’s America

Defending Undocumented Nannies, House Cleaners and Caregivers in Trump’s America

Brooke Anderson

“If you haven’t used the bathroom yet, now is a really good time to go,” shouts Stacy Kono as 50 people board an early morning bus to San Diego on Sunday, July 1st at a West Oakland (California) parking lot. “It’s a long drive.”

By all means, we need to ensure the continued flow of cheap, unskilled labor so that the rich can have their servants.

I was skeptical too, but when I looked at their website, they seem to be an employers’ cooperative and they are affiliated with the National Domestic Workers Assn

https://www.domesticworkers.org/

“Defending Undocumented Nannies, House Cleaners and Caregivers in Trump’s America”

Of course, if they had to hire someone with a social security number they would actually have to pay them a decent wage.

There is so much about our immigration and naturalization process that infuriates me I hardly know where to begin. Very few US citizens would survive the process those of color experience. I can tell you there is a vast difference between my brother’s Okinawan mother-in-law’s experience and that of my Tunisian (a Muslim man of color) brother-in-law. The latter spoke several languages, had two degrees and still took seven years, thousand of dollars, and countless hours waiting for mandatory appointments at immigration offices. To expect a migrant worker to succeed is preposterous.

But what is most galling is the very people dispensing the most rhetoric about the danger immigrant’s pose, like Trump, are the very one’s bringing them here to work and then expecting them to go home when they’re done with them. Agriculture, construction and the service industry (hotels, resorts, etc) bring workers from other countries to work for substandard wages, in substandard conditions, house them at ridiculous rates and even stiff them (see Polish workers/Trump Tower, 1979/80; since 2010 foreign workers from Romania and other countries hired instead of nearly 300 US applicants at Mar a Largo; 2015 apparently undocumented workers who crossed the Mexican border hired to finish luxury hotel in the shadow of the White House; Trump Model Management used models here on tourist visas which do not allow them to work)

And for those who wring their hands about the drain on our economy through social programs,the US government estimates that at least half of undocumented immigrants pay income tax, and analysts told VICE News the population will contribute at least $12 billion to the federal government this year, and at least $10.6 billion to state and local governments via income and payroll taxes. Oh by the way, money they can’t claim…

And there you have it…so why are trumpists and others blaming the poor immigrants fleeing awful conditions?