Home | About | Donate

Defying Threat of Termination, 1,200 Florida Teachers Rally to Save Public Education

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/01/13/defying-threat-termination-1200-florida-teachers-rally-save-public-education

1 Like

Hats off! This is what is needed, unrelenting rebellion and one big FU.

5 Likes

Now that’s what I call equal representation supported by dedicated professionals.

2 Likes

And they have a strong, well funded union to fall back on for financial support while on the picket line. No need for pitchforks, YET.

2 Likes

GO TEACHERS! Everyone thanks you for your courage and incorruptibility!!! How can we support you.

2 Likes

I have a friend who just gave up on teaching elementary after 23 years.
She was making $51,000 a year, barely enough to live on.
She’d been assaulted by students in the past three school years.
The school district blamed her; parents threatened her.
The students who assaulted her were given 1-3 day suspensions.
She reports that the public schools are overrun with children who were born by mistake, raised in criminal environments, abused, unloved, unteachable, and eventually dangerous and alienated.
She’s now a waitress. A woman with a master’s degree. She’s severely depressed.
It’s not the fault of the public schools that things are so bad.
It’s the low pay, the lack of support for teachers, the criminal students, and the pathetic parents.

It’s annoying that the author mentioned Warren TWEETED her support, while Bernie has written an entire newspaper article for The Sun Sentinel declaring his solidarity. Biased much? The site won’t let me upload a link but look up: “Florida teachers fighting for public education: I stand with you | Sen. Bernie Sanders” published Jan. 13, 2020.

1 Like