Home | About | Donate

Defying War and Defining Peace in Afghanistan

Defying War and Defining Peace in Afghanistan

Kathy Kelly

On January 27th, 2019, the Taliban and the U.S. government each publicly stated acceptance, in principle, of a draft framework for ongoing negotiations that could culminate in a peace deal to end a two-decade war in Afghanistan.

‘A young medical graduate student told me she was deprived of schooling during the Taliban era. “If government doesn’t protect women’s basic rights,” she said, “we could lose access to health care and education.”’

The Taliban’s exploitation of the misogynistic Abrahamic religious tradition based upon convicting Eve, who “owed” her very life to Adam('s rib), reveals quite a lot about how secular values are needed to expunge the idiocy of millennia-aged myths. Bush’s “crusade” in Afghanistan and Iraq failed miserably despite having “Mission Accomplished” declared for the latter in a premature ejaculation.

“The religions of the world are but the ejaculations of a few imaginative men.”
–Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance

Crusades in both Afghanistan and Iraq were based on lies and should have never happened, given their history as giant killers, the former is especially poignant. Proves our leaders, political and military, have no grasp or respect for history. I guess selling a lie to the American people at the cost of American and Afghanistan lives, to turn our system upside-down was worth it to the modern day corporate fascists, not as if it cost them anything. Oh how it’s made them richer, and the rest of us long for our Democratic Republic.

Maj. Sjursen should contact MS. Kelly to find out where he can pick-up his promotion papers, quite a leap from Major to Major General.

Noam thinks Amerika is a civilized country?

1 Like

Not only are reparations in order , but those that conceived of this war , voted for it and prosecuted it are all war criminals and should be tried.

No Country should be able to invade another at will, destroy it economically and visit upon its peoples hundreds of thousands of deaths and just come back with a “oops sorry My bad , here is some money”

1 Like

FTA “…something … U.S. people can and should do, namely pay reparations for 17 years of suffering we’ve caused in Afghanistan.” The math is off. It’s not 17 years, it’s 40.

Back in 1979, President Carter’s National Security Advisor, Zbigniew Brzeziński, got the US to start funding the mujahideen in Afghanistan to overthrow the Soviet-backed government. The CIA promoted jihad across the Middle East to encourage Moslem extremists to come fight, including Osama bin Laden.

This led to over a decade of war until the government was defeated followed a bitter 4-year civil war in the ensuing power vacuum that the Taliban finally won in 1996.

When I was a kid, conservatives would always say “Mind your own business.” I’ve finally taken this to heart. I wish more Americans did.

The grim “gifts” bestowed by “the good war”

Don’t forget that these right-wing M-Fers view anything of value, fair game. They need some straightening out.

WiseOwl, when I re-read my post, it came off sounding as if I was preaching to you, I wasn’t, sorry if you thought I was. I was just running with the “crusade” part of you’re post.

All cool here. You’ve banked plenty of goodwill with me and I know that sometimes I don’t always get my words right when the passion (read anger) over world events races through my veins–that or I really have to pee.

1 Like

Being 72, I now have a much different view of the US involvement than I did when I was young.
Armenia was cut up and given to Turkey and Iran as bribes to become western oil suppliers. As that fell apart, we now are again meddling to create another new country Rojava from northern Syria todo our bidding.
The World Wars allowed US to pull off coastal land for ‘a new country’, such as Eitria from Ethiopia, for military bases. That has been our pattern only recently thwarted.
We got everything we wanted in Afghanistan. We destroyed any infrastructure the Saudi didn’t, we kept an entire generation of children from living their country’s history, and now we pretend we care about women’s rights. Look at our presence in Liberia and Sierra Leone to see if we care about women’s rights.
One of the comments on NYT regarding Afghanistan was modern war just cuts off the elec and water. No, modern war is maintaining the low level of existence while pretending to implement tech with the end result being only the colonial capital has water and lights. We don’t cut the off, we make sure they aren’t in place to begin with.

I forgot - did Obama think this was the smart war or the dumb war?