Home | About | Donate

Demands for Bold Climate Action Mount as 'All But Rainless' Australia Faces 'Catastrophic' Fire Danger

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/11/11/demands-bold-climate-action-mount-all-rainless-australia-faces-catastrophic-fire

3 Likes

The locales are the victims. The crimes are committed wherever transitioning to renewable energy sources is fought. Truly many should be hung and I mean that. The suffering that they have brought and will continue to bring is mind boggling and they still would have fortunes at their feet. Yes, the Cree were right, money is inedible.

9 Likes

Good luck on getting any actions on these “demands”. The people of Australia have elected to power a Prime Minister who sees those making these demands as terrorists and enemies of the State and is proposing laws to make their actions criminal.

12 Likes

Just try getting Australia’s new right-wing Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, to give a shit about this crisis. Like Trumpo the Traitor he doesn’t believe in global warming and he is a complete tool for the “extractive industries” that have made the western part of the country a polluted nightmare. Like all of these insufferable corrupt denialists Morrison would have you believe that the current climate emergency is just a natural cycle and has nothing to do with human activities. That is a complete cop out and flies in the face of Aussie climatologists who have become increasingly alarmed over the last decade about the fact that Australia will suffer huge fires, droughts, crop failures and pestilence as a result of this trend. One of them said that he is moving back to England to get away from the acute heat that he was convinced would happen and sooner than has been predicted. Morrison, Trump and their ilk are ignorant corrupt trash and the planet and its people are suffering because of their greed and stupidity.

14 Likes

I agree with you that the ecocidal maniacs who are cheering on, accelerating, and profiting from anthropogenic mass extinction should be euthanized.
They’re enemies of life on earth, and in my view, that qualifies them to be deprived of life.
Ironically, I’m a lifelong pacifist who has never owned a gun or engaged in any violence other than self-defense. However, I consider the attacks on Mother Earth to be self-defense, and a defense of the helpless plants, trees, and non-human species who are being massacred by our species.
Morrison, Bolsonaro, Durterte, Trump and the other earth-killers should never have been conceived.

6 Likes

I feel fairly safe in predicting that real estate prices are going to max out and begin to plummet in lots of places, including across Australia, this despite currently strong economic conditions, at least for the top 10%. In the US: Phoenix, Miami, Cheasapeake Bay, New Orleans, LA…drought, fire, ugly…

7 Likes

It is my hope that all posters come back to this page at some point and reads this…all of what we are beginning to experience is new…the jet streams have not been this wacky wobbly in almost 300 years of tree ring history, the lack of sea ice in the arctic and the melting of Antarctica are the cause…I have a bunch of new research here…please read the link, it’s at the bottom of the page…

https://gilbertweaversatchell.org/climate-emergency-pg-13/

5 Likes

I look forward to the day when Vegas, Phoenix, and Hell-A are ghost towns!

3 Likes

We will all soon be ghosts.

3 Likes

Can you repost that link to the global weather/particulate map?
I forgot to bookmark that. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Seriously people we have been undermined by those in positions of power and borrowed authority.
Its time to take responsibility for our planet and ourselves .We must challenge those in authority and challenge their world view .

3 Likes

That’s scary man .I read that if humans do not make the adaption necessary life will adapt and we will not like the outcome …it could mean hell on Earth for humans.
Not sure when this will happen but it looks as if it ain’t far away.

1 Like

Australia needs to get rid of it’s Trump brown nosing PM as a first step.

5 Likes

I agree these are the most egregious crimes against humanity and all of nature. I agree hanging the criminals will actually be a good thing.

1 Like

And because they will be able to avoid being impacted by global warming by moving further north and higher cooler places. But 99% of the globe’s people and wild life will not be able to avoid the higher temperatures and massive environmental destruction.

2 Likes

And everybody thought that we were England’s slack-jawed hillbillies. But no, the rubes from the nation of Australia have decided to up the ante and get back into the race.
Fear not Australians! Your prime minister has a direct line to Jeebus himself, and Jeebus told him that everything would be ok, in the end.
Don’t worry folks, you won’t feel a thing. That is until you catch fire, then you’ll feel all kinds of things!

3 Likes

Agreed. It would appear that “Lost Wages” is Americas’s phoniest “city”. It used to be called the fastest growing city in the country. Now it is the fastest warming city.

2 Likes

Too late! Everyone agrees with the blah blah blah but nobody is actually doing anything besides more blah blah blah. There is no way people are giving up their 4x4 crew cab diesel monster trucks. We are screwed folks.

3 Likes

To tie your comment to the Vegas ones, I would say that if you want that type of entertainment,(gambling and eating well), why not, it’s your money. It may not burn away any faster than if you place in the heat or the slot machine.
We can waist our dough on those monster trucks instead if we choose. Winter is here, why not a new snowmobile? Pollutes the forest, and the air. Costs up to $10,000 to get a good one and another $500 or so to buy clothing and helmet. And you get to use them 1/4 to 1/2 of the year.
How about a petro burning 4 wheeler bouncing around the countryside, or more and more on the roadways? They can start fires too.
Maybe Australia needs to do more raking.

3 Likes

no use blaming the Australian government, the people voted them in knowing their climate-denial views just as the US did. Sorry about the deaths but is seems cosmic justice that they get what they voted for

2 Likes