Home | About | Donate

'Demented': Oil Giant Refreezing Rapidly Melting Permafrost So It Can Keep Climate-Killing Arctic Drilling Alive

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/19/demented-oil-giant-refreezing-rapidly-melting-permafrost-so-it-can-keep-climate

4 Likes

No words for this level of insanity . . . . .

Would like to see an article and discussion in comment section on the unprecedented lack of re-freeze in the arctic and the consequences of this for life on earth in the long term and the short term.

h-ttps://sites.uci.edu/zlabe/arctic-sea-ice-extentconcentration/?fbclid=IwAR18HtRMELvrF1qz7GTk6PuOKK_q0vhdrH-64ru_fy_ys-OOLqkwxMwjGRI

h-ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpUV9opQ8yk&ab_channel=EnvironmentalCoffeehouse

6 Likes

The picture shows 1.4 to 1.5 trillion tons of greenhouse gases being released by the polar tundra, game over, with the exception of a few tons of methane stored directly underneath the pipeline.

Our species needs to restore all of the Arctic before the greenhouse gases get loose. Afterwards won’t work.

6 Likes

I think I shall move my air conditioner’s compressor inside this winter so that I can keep warm. Eureka!

4 Likes

Caroline, you saved me a post…thanks. Shanti

2 Likes

“Right, cooling the ground beneath the infrastructure and keep on drilling.”

When the pistol, packin, mama from my state said: " DRILL BABY DRILL" Sarah should have finished her asinine sentence with: Until we drill the whole planet to death!

4 Likes

Quick Donald here are some more idiots you can hire for your catastrophic regime. This sort of mentality is very Trumpian.

Oh, and remember Trump organization wanted to get permits for a sea wall to protect his seaside Scottish golf course from wave action from rising sea levels.

3 Likes

These cooling devices are going to need power to run. Which means some sort of infrastructure will need to be built to supple it.

Shouldn’t this infrastructure (roads, power lines, …) require permits? It SHOULD be possible to stop this. But, of course, that doesn’t mean it WILL be stopped.

Also, it appears that the problem is that the base supporting the pipeline is sinking. If nothing is done, it looks like we are going to have massive oil spills when the pipes rupture. The logical solution is to clear and abandon the pipelines, but somehow I doubt that will happen.

3 Likes

Ludacris, I can hear right wing saying “American Exceptionalsim” tech will solve all our problems don’t worry.

2 Likes

Well, this does tell us one truth, if only in a backhanded way. Ask yourselves why, after all the expensive fracking wells have been drilled, and the more expensive deep water drilling is done, why would they spend what will obviously be an astronomical amount to try and freeze roads and drilling sites just so they can keep heavy equipment from sinking into the now mushy tundra?
Obviously the remaining large oil reserves around the world are depleting more rapidly than Big Oil is letting on. We are about 15 years past peak now. That fact, as well as petroleum’s market share disappearing at about 2% a year, and you can literally witness the panic in the board rooms of Exxon, chevron, BP, and Aramco.
The mad rush is on for whats left of the “black gold”

3 Likes

Ain’t no joke, anymore. Aside from the “abandoned” Atlantic Coast Pipeline, several of the infamous 19 “a bridge too far” gigantic fracked gas mainlines, were simply to take fracked PA, WV methane south, to fuel hundreds of new methane-fired powerstations (to power folks’ air-conditioning 24/7 & hook consumers, since the industry could charge more, FAR more once PV, wind were killed off & the 97 remaining 45-60 yr old fission reactors proved, ah, er… burdensome?) Mind you, this was since Russia was bypassing Ukraine, shipping LNG to Japan at a FAR lower price via the Arctic since AGW has melted much of their sea ice and clathrates have pretty much unleashed the Kraken, with HUGE methane fireballs percolating out from where their permafrost used to be…

*BigB is right: Shell’s Mars, Augur, Mensa & Ursa got hit by Katrina (enabling the tight gas/oil “bridge fuel” Ponzi scam). ExxonMobil abandoned the super deep Blackbeard, which could’ve wiped out the Gulf, like BP did a few years later…

2 Likes

…i must be living in The Upside Down🤷

3 Likes

Too late. An object in motion … the outside force will be, imho, extinction of humans and not the action of humans themselves. This lust for more is a mental illness, there’s no other way to explain it.

1 Like

Demented, certainly. But likely legal if they decide to proceed.
That is more the point.

Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

2 Likes