Home | About | Donate

Democratic Senators Demand Trump Provide Legal Justification to Attack Syria

Democratic Senators Demand Trump Provide Legal Justification to Attack Syria

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

While House Democrats call for checks on President Donald Trump's military powers, citing fears of "war by tweet," three senators reportedly sent a letter to the White House on Friday to demand that Trump explain the legal rationale behind his threats to bomb Syria, which lawmakers and experts have argued would be

If the Democrats had any “Chutzpah” they’d put the Joint Chiefs on notice by promising War Crimes Tribunals if they act without Congressional Approval.

Of course there is no legal basis for Trump to order an attack. But then when did he care about the US Constitution? Anybody watching his campaign speeches and particularly his nomination acceptance speech would think he was running for dictator. All he said was I will do this and I will do that. Really? There is supposed to be three branches of government, not one.

In a just world they wouldn’t have to. The Joint Chiefs could be prosecuted for following an unlawful order from Trump.

Surprise, surprise, it has been revealed that there has been no chemical attack in Douma Syria on April 7th. Instead there has been a staged chemical attack based on report from local hospital personnel.

Bibi Netanyahu makes the ultimate call for the US to illegally attack Syria. israel bombs Syria all the time. After all US troops are nothing but cannon fodder to the chosen ones. And since when did israel or the US Fourth Reich give a rats ass on the meaning of international law. They threw away the Nuremberg play book decades ago.

Well, Trump just attacked Syria so what are you spineless mealy mouthed morons going to do about it? Probably stand back and uselessly flap your gums like always. Time to put up or shut up.

Alas, it has begun. Too many warmongers among both parties to accomplish what you suggest.

Too little, too late.

Is this just like when the missiles were launched against an empty airfield? If so, it’s nothing but an event to indulge one big mediagasm.

Nope, civilian deaths are already being reported.

Iraq II

How quaint of the Democrats. Where the fuck were they when Obama has his kill list and army of drones. Legal justification?! Fucking god damned hypocrites.

Where? What I just read said Syrian forces had mostly evacuated facilities earlier this week in expectation of an attack.

And what pray tell us are you going to do? Put on your super hero outfit and parade around? Maybe you will even protest enough to upset the PTB and end up in jail. Somehow I doubt it. Your post sounds a lot like projection to me. Hell, I bet more than half the country is cheering on this whole attack against Syria. So maybe we should all just shut up and let them have their war. There are no answers to the madness that has taken over the government of the USA. And sometimes all we have is to scream out our agony, so I support all those “spineless mealy mouthed morons” to scream all they need to. You appear to be pretty good at flapping your gums like always. Pretty ironic on your part.

General Mattis said the attack was on chemical weapons production and storage facilities. If that is the case, good luck to any living being in the vicinity. The U. S. is saying, apparently, that since the Syrian destruction of its chemical weapons, they restarted manufacture. When asked what were the agents, he hemmed and hawed and finally said he was sure about one chemical but did not know what it was. Sounds strange to me. Anyone not following the Syria story would come away from the General’s remarks with the impression that the debunked Syrian incidents in the past were true.

At least there are three senators who are sane enough to foresee the consequences of Trump’s intended action. That leaves 97 senators who are willing to allow him to murder innocent people or are too cowardly to stand up to him. There is no proof that Assad is responsible for a chemical attack and even if he were, is a bomb going to drop on his head? No, bombs kill indiscriminately. The world should be threatening him with a charge of war crimes if he does this and his new henchman, John Bolton.

I posted an article above from Huffington Post suggesting Syria began evacuating targets this week. Well, looks like there’s more confirmation of that:

It sounds like this really was an event timed for maximum mediagasms.

I agree though it would be the height of hypocrisy given their own history of supporting such attacks on Libya,Serbia, Iraq and elsewhere. This is what we do as a country. The real question is, will Russia retaliate? We will soon find out.

It would seem appropriate if Russia bombed IDF positions on the Israeli border with Gaza after the slaughter of civilians there by the IDF.