Home | About | Donate

Democrats Demand Oversight Hearing as Trump White House Stonewalls GAO Investigators

Democrats Demand Oversight Hearing as Trump White House Stonewalls GAO Investigators

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

A group of House Demcrats are demanding an urgent hearing over the Trump White House's "dramatic decision" to repeatedly stonewall a top federal watchdog agency.

I was laughing so hard.
Can you imagine that people think there is an actual Government Accountability Office?
Then they said there was National Security Council.
Neither will respond to inquiries.
Next thing they’ll be sayin’ democracy is thriving.
Oversight?

Could the Trump administration be hiding corruption? Trump corrupt?

Without a doubt. Absolutely.

The GAO is actually pretty good. I think the White House should answer them.

This is another example of the fact that the Trump administration actually has no interest in any real oversight! The only oversight that they care about is phony oversight excuses to meddle in the Russia Investigation. There is practically a multiple daily all out assault being perpetrated against investigating into any Russian interference into our elections by the Trump administration that makes the Trump administration and many republican members of Congress look incredibly guilty. The only reason for them doing this is to obstruct and interfere with the Russia Investigation and Mueller. The only reason to obstruct and interfere with the Russia Investigation is to make as much trouble for Mueller and try to discredit him to such an extent that Trump and his administration are willing to discredit the entire federal law enforcement and intelligence apparatus of the entire federal government, just to protect Trump from being properly investigated to see if he has committed any crimes or assisted the Russians in hacking into the DCCC and DNC and interfering with our elections to benefit his campagn. An innocent man does not behave this way at all.

The other thing is that this behavior is dictator 101. In order to perpetrate a coup against a democracy it is important to discredit any law enforcement, intelligence, or real oversight agencies that might try to hold the wannabe dictator accountable. However, it really is a bit ridiculous and strains any rational credibility that anyone could possibly believe that the entirety of all seventeen national security agencies, the entire FBI, DOJ, and all oversight agencies in the federal government could all possibly be entirely corrupt and working only against this president. The obviously more reasonable conclusion for anyone with the ability to use their brains is that Trump is doing this so that he can operate above the law and without any oversight or accountability whatsoever. This is the definition of tyranny!

What truly frightens me is the forty or so percent of Americans who appear to be completely brainless or completely brainwashed. The zombie apocalypse appears to have already happened! There do not appear to be a sufficient number of American citizens with the ability to think critically for themselves at all, or else they are too busy, too intellectually lazy, or just plain don’t care anymore. The almost total takeover of our media by corporate controlled and right wing entities is contributing to this as well. People are not getting the true facts about what is actually happening and when they do get the truth, they often do not believe it. If Sinclair gets to control seventy percent of our local media, even I might start believing that my apple is really a banana! No one partisan point of view should ever be allowed to control more than half of all news media in this country. We must demonopolize our media and break it up and restore the fairness doctrine ASAP. We must fix this. We need laws to protect our free press. No journalist or newscaster should be able to be fired for telling the truth on the news and no one should be allowed to deliberatly lie to the public on the news. There is plenty of time to lie, for freedom of speech sake, in the opinion section. Since FCC rules are insufficient and judges refuse to uphold them, these rules must be made into laws to protect the public and our children. News must be factual and provable and mistakes must be corrected ASAP. Honest mistakes are not fake news, but deliberate ones are. As far as I know Fox News has never retracted any story or report. This is obviously irresponsible. No one is so good that they never get things wrong sometimes. Fox never retracts falsehood because it’s whole purpose is to deliberatly lie to the public and misinform people. In addition, public figures must now be allowed to sue for libel and slander because it has gone too far. This might help put a stop to the massive hideous vile rhetoric being put out in the media every day, especially during campaigns. We will never get any good folks to want to run for public office if they are so terribly slandered all the time. It is truly disgusting and it must stop.

The massive amounts of lies must be stoped! Lies come from the evil one. The devil is the father of lies. We must not listen to anyone who lies to us, especially when they lie repeatedly. Anyone who deliberatly and repeatedly lies can never be trusted, never mind be elected into office and especially not be president. We must test all sources of information for obvious lies and take notes. This will reveal if they are reliable sources or not. Take note and believe or not accordingly. For instance, I will never believe anything that Alec Jones ever says!

It just worries me that all truthful sources of information are rapidly disintegrating. Without any access to any truth, there will be no counter narrative with which to compare what is being said. Truth is becoming lies and lies are becoming seen as the truth. This is extremely dangerous to our democracy. No president is entitled to be a dictator in our democratic republic, yet I wonder how many Americans even know this because for years I have heard people treat the presidents that we have had as if they were dictators that were responsible, all by themselves, for everything that happens in this country when this is not true. Congress actually has as much, if not more power than the president. The Supreme Court also has great power. However, in this totally republican controlled government, with so many wimpy or complicit members of Congress who not only refuse to hold Trump accountable, but are often actually assisting him in avoiding all oversight and any responsibility, and a republican controlled Supreme Court we are getting a real taste of dictatorship already. A total right wing government coup is underway that we may never recover from. Too few Americans are willing or able to see the danger that we all are actually in right now.

Trump doesn’t care and he has no idea of how a democracy is supposed to work anyway. He does not even seem to understand that what he is doing is wrong and unamerican and treasonous to our democratic republic. This is precisely why evil factions who want to create dictatorships love ignorant and poorly educated people who have a disdain for learning, education, or educational expertise, authority, or the truth. Trump may not even know how well he is being used by other very much more evil men to force their terrible and undemocratic agenda onto the people of America. The Trump supporters are gleefully enjoying their newfound power and are also clueless as to their immanent danger. It reminds me of my three year old brother. He always wanted to drive the car. One day he got into our station wagon that was parked on a slight hill pointed down to a farm pond below. He locked all the doors so that we could not get in and stop him easily, and then he put the car into neutral. The car started to roll slowly towards the pond. He was absolutely ecstatic. He thought that he was driving the car and he was overjoyed! I have never seen him so happy. Outside, my mother and I were desperately trying to stop the car from rolling. The car keys were inside the house and there was no time to get to them. We failed to stop the car from rolling. We were panicking. Billy was facing immanent death by drowning in the pond! Fortunatly for everyone there was a small rut right before the pond and the car stopped and my mother went and got the keys and got Billy out! We were greatly relieved. However, I will never forget the look of ecstasy on his face as he was rolling to his own certain death. This reminds me of the Trump voters. They are in their glory. They have won. But they appear to be in ecstasy of the danger that they are in and the danger that they have put America and all of the rest of us into as well. I had no idea that the idea of greed and selfishness and uncaring that became rampant in the 1980s was going to end up leading us here. I never thought that Jerry Falwell and the so called Moral Majority was working to create a dictatorship out of America. Now that I can clearly see everything, it seems almost too late to stop it. Too many Americans are weak from old age and overwork, and too jaded, confused, and tired of politics and feel that there is no politician or member of government that they can ever trust.

We need a plan and a way to organize our opposition more than what we have now. There is resistance, but it is small and fragmented. We must unite into one big group and work to restore our democratic institutions before it is too late. When government doesn’t work properly, you don’t blow it up, you fix it. The best parts of government are being systematically attacked and destroyed and the worst parts are being lionized and corrupted. I have never been as worried about America as I have been these last few months. I pray that our democracy will survive and that we can finally put a stake through the hearts of the seditious and traitorous faction that is trying to force dictatorship upon us all.

Yes, there is a government accountability office and they have made some very excellent reports and investigations into the defects of our government. The men and women who work there are, for the most part still good and honest and true and they report the truth in an effort to provide Congress, the White House and the public with true and factual information. I cannot say how much longer these men and women will be even allowed to do this work honestly, but they are still honest for the most part today. The problem isn’t these folks. The problem is that their reports are just getting ignored and dismissed unless the people to whom they report actually care about the truth. You see most unelected federal government workers must pass strict qualifications for their jobs. They are held to very high standards. Their jobs are not glamorous or cushy or influential or particularly well paid so that these jobs are not commonly filled by political appointees, as in other parts of government. If they want to get ahead they must do good honest work and be willing to work for both republican and democratic administrations. There is way too much antipathy towards ordinary rank and file federal workers who are probably the best and most honest people in our government. It is the elected officials, who become very corrupted because of the need for campagn contributions or who are encouraged to run for office solely to promote the agendas of mega corporations or wealthy elites, or various political ideologies that one may disagree with, that are the most corrupt and who have the power to write legislation and pass bills that may not be in the best interest of the average person in America.

Average Americans must stop overgeneralizing and believing that a person must be corrupt simply because they work in government. Not everyone in government is corrupt. Yes, it is getting worse all the time, and this is by design of an evil faction hell bent to turn America into a dictatorship run by wealthy elites and mega corporations, especially those that cause the most pollution and destruction of our country. They are motivated by massive greed and the desire for absolute power. This faction is rapidly turning America into a right wing dictatorship and are only two states away from being able to completely change our Constitution and to give us the same Constitutiin that Chile had under the dictator Pinochet. Read Democracy in Chains. They have been working very hard for this for over forty years and spending billions of dollars to do this. They lie all the time and use projection to blame the left for doing everything that they are actually doing in spades. Every time they do something evil, they immediately concoct a false story that the democrats, the left, or Obama or Clinton are doing this and massively spread this over the media. Then, by the time the opposition media finds out what is really happening, large segments of the public have already been led to believe that it is not the real culprits who are doing these things as they are, but instead believe that it is their political opponents who are evil and doing the very evil things that they are actually doing themselves and those that are blamed are the innocent ones. This is a very effective and insidious evil technique and very hard to fight against. After forty years of this stuff and the Fox News disinformation and the unilateral right wing takeover of free talk radio, and the amount of false right wing internet media they have created an alternative universe that millions of Americans believe is true when it is not. It has taken me my whole life of searching out the truth to find out who is lying and why. I’m sixty years old now and now I know and I will not be silenced.

Now this is not to say that there is no disinformation or misinformation on the MSM or so called left wing media. However, these media entities strive much harder to report the truth as much as they can. There is so much misinformation out there that almost everyone believes something that is probably false. In addition, all corporate controlled media can very easily become corrupted, by people being told what they can or cannot say. I don’t know how bad it is, but I do believe that many in the MSM do try their best to be as truthful as possible whereas the right wing media appears determined to be as false and lie as much as they can get away with. We need laws to protect our newscasters and journalists from being pressured to lie or from being fired for telling the truth on the news as the four Fox journalists were fired for telling the truth. It should be against the law to deliberatly lie to the public on the news.

Anyway, the first step to finding the truth is to make a commitment to the truth and to learn how to be honest with one’s self. Next, one needs a willingness to admit it when one has been mistaken, because mistakes are how we learn best and everyone makes mistakes. Mistakes are OK as long as they are honest mistakes. Next, try to find the most reliable sources of information. Fact check everything as much as possible. Think about the things that are reported. Read nonfiction factual material. The more factual background information one possesses the harder it is to be fooled. For instance, when a couple of right wing multimillionaires wanted to slander John Kerry when he ran for president because they were angry at him because he came out against the Vietnam War, they put out the lie that Jerry had falsified documents when he applied for his medals. I knew that this was a lie because no military person ever applies for medals. It is their superior officer who applies for them to get the medals, not the recipient. They knew that it was a lie. I read about it afterwards when the public relations firm gave an interview that they had tried to discourage them from promoting a false story that could be found out, telling them that it could backfire on them. However, they could not be diisueded and I wonder how many people didn’t vote for Kerry because of this lie. It works to some extent and in a close race every little bit helps. This is why public figures must have their right to sue for slander and libel restored and perhaps some of this monkey poop will stop.

The search for the truth is an endless search. All we can do is the best we can as we are only human. The key is scrupulous honesty with ones’ self and others even if it hurts, especially if it hurts. The sword of truth is double-edged, it cuts both ways.

I voted for Kerry, what a dolt me. More a anti Bush frame of mind. The two fake opposition sides ensure both of their survival for each successive quackery hoodwinking episode. Fake media, fake candidates and fake elections.

lol another great humorous piece by CommonDreams! This, along with the other one posted today about Common Cause asking Congress to hold hearings on Trump’s emoluments violations and his quid-pro-quo Chinese ZTE deal, have really made my sides hurt today! Good to see that CommonDreams doesn’t only publish serious, depressing news stories all the time. The occasional humor pieces are equally important in this dark and dreary political landscape nowadays. Thanks for making me laugh! Keep 'em coming!

Brief addendums (or string bikini atoll test site briefs if you will)
The “oversight” treasured by trump is the inverse of that implied by the GAO. Those oversights are, in other terms ‘negligence’, and are very real.
The “assault” is practically all out – but with a pumping action commensurate with an increasingly common expletive.
The guilt you see is very credible and in most cases documented.
Trump being investigated is sort of ‘mmmenhh’. I would submit that these unknowns are known unknowns: the ‘pay-back’ to “donors” that none (in Congress) utter or swoon because they done it too. Citizens United was step too far… a virtual ‘long walk on a short pier’. Splas!… we’re getting the cold shower after the fact.
This is Dictator 2.0 (operating system) – the means to getting there – voting machine fraud conspiracies being 101.
People have been and are being TRAUMATIZED. Imagine conceptualizing this in terms of rape. Rape is not about sex, its about POWER. Thats why it has required so much grassroots work in SUPPORT of women traumatized by rape to speak out. Once sand gets thrown, pored and massively dumped on the gears of an abusive machine, participatory societal balances for governance must be built.
Media problem: Engage and work with PRECISELY the people so expertly alienated for this mode of trauma. To do so means shedding time dedicated to one thing to actually do it.
If you see truthful sources disintegrating work on local ones in your community.

Spot on: “The Trump supporters are gleefully enjoying their newfound power and are also clueless as to their immanent danger.” The thing is, the system has ALWAYS placed them in harms way. Now its simply eating them for lunch. I am working on removing myself and legitimate governance from the dinner menu.

While I’m not in a mood to vote for any Democrats …
I’d like to see the power shit into their hands and the fall of this fascist
administration.

But would they do it?

A group of House Demcrats are demanding an urgent hearing over the Trump White House’s “dramatic decision” to repeatedly stonewall a top federal watchdog agency.

“We are writing to request that you hold an immediate hearing on the dramatic decision by the White House to obstruct investigations by our independent investigators at the Government Accountability Office (GAO),” the lawmakers wrote this week in a letter (pdf) to Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), head of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

Very quickly we could see them give away the power and resume business as usual.

There has long been a GAO and did excellent work when they were allowed to do
their job –

In later times, they have been denied the power they have needed to do that work.

This is certainly one of those times!

All of our government agencies have been turned over to corporations and criminals
to fun – the GAO will suffer no less than that happening to them.

Like your post –

It just worries me that all truthful sources of information are rapidly disintegrating. Without any access to any truth, there will be no counter narrative with which to compare what is being said. Truth is becoming lies and lies are becoming seen as the truth. This is extremely dangerous to our democracy

But I have more hope for the truth now than I have had over the long history of right wing propaganda which has reigned. The internet has opened that up to challenge. And of course Elites fear the internet and the two-way street which now be demanded of every organization, every politician.
I love to read comments wherever citizens are posting – they do challenge authority and have a very firm idea of what’s happening in this country. You will always know truth as it goes through your body like a lightening rod. That’s why the right wing has to control ALL media – even one pebble will shatter their myths and lies like a pane of glass.

Maybe I’ve been reading two different comments – but also liked this paragraph …

We need a plan and a way to organize our opposition more than what we have now. There is resistance, but it is small and fragmented. We must unite into one big group and work to restore our democratic institutions before it is too late. When government doesn’t work properly, you don’t blow it up, you fix it. The best parts of government are being systematically attacked and destroyed and the worst parts are being lionized and corrupted. I have never been as worried about America as I have been these last few months. I pray that our democracy will survive and that we can finally put a stake through the hearts of the seditious and traitorous faction that is trying to force dictatorship upon us all.

Agree on the question of time –
Trying to “fix it” by working from inside the system is a waste of time, afaics – always has been.
It has always been movement from outside government – See Howard Zinn on this – which has changed government.

ALL of government is under control of corporations/Elites – and it is their intention to destroy all of the agencies of the government which have ever worked in the interests of the public.

We’ve never had a democracy – what Our Founders actually created was an Elite-Patriarchy, endowed them with land grants, gave them immense influence and control over our “people’s” government, the nation’s wealth and natural resources.
Our Founders PRIVATIZED our natural resources and the nation’s wealth.

We were not given the opportunity nor the tools to create a democracy nor hold power.

Our Founders also saved and supported the system of slavery – even to the Runaway Slave Act using our Militias to round up runaway slaves and returning them to Elites. This guaranteed the Civil War which further benefitted Elites by splitting the nation into two camps of hatred which continue to echo today.

Same for the Genocide vs the Native people here which basically continues to go on today in attempts to overtake the lands they still have and in attacks on any of their attempts to sustain themselves.

Natureboy has put up a very interesting article I highly recommend –

Here’s the opening paragraph –

The Rigged Game

June 1, 2018 · by regensordo · in politics · 1 Comment

The term “rigged game” should have been word of the year in 2016. Both the US and the EU have been exposed as never before in this modern era. The “defeat” of Bernie Sanders and Wikileaks revelations in the US; the destruction of Greece, and election after election show general hostility to EU policies and austerity. And on both sides of the Atlantic the policy of refugee importation ought to be enough for the masses to understand that first world ruling classes are bent on destroying the modern middling class and the so-called welfare state, yet the middling classes persist in their — perhaps unwitting — cooperation with the system. The historical importance of these times cannot be understated, and yet never has a population been so unprepared and unaware of its own precarious future.

Have you noticed that the GAO, which is doing all the great work you recommend, is a construction of an authoritarian tradition, essentially undemocratic, that has brought us no nearer to democracy? Despite all its work, we are not one inch closer to democracy. Accountability must actually bring accountability or deserves to be trashed.
I will take your comments with several grains of salt. After all, if it was an GAO, it would actually deliver real democratic results, not just dramatic media pulses. Just like Homeland Security would bring security and peace rather than conflict, strife and war.

Lost in particulars, many are bewitched by the latest report, even by GAO documents, while the decades undoubtedly establish the socialized madness that undoes good intentions.