Home | About | Donate

Denounced as Going 'Too Far' When Sanders Said It—American Bar Association Backs Full Voting Rights for Incarcerated People

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/14/denounced-going-too-far-when-sanders-said-it-american-bar-association-backs-full

3 Likes

Just from a pragmatic standpoint, having incarcerated people invested with their full voting rights would likely on average reduce the recidivism rate because they would be engaged with the world into which they return. Now given the perverse incentives in our penal system, such as on-the-cheap labor, the corporations will fight this tooth and jail. Ain’t that America.

6 Likes

It’s all too far when Sanders says it.
That’s emblematic of why this country embraces cruelty as its most cherished national trait.

3 Likes

If even only 10% of our Dem members of Congress worked as hard
as Bernie Sanders does to wake up the public to the corruption and
show them the way out –

we’d be able to overturn this corrupt and evil system in 6 months –

1 Like

Speaking of the ABA, where is it now that Trump has admitted he is inhibiting voting by his USPS measures? Too political an issue for the ABA to comment?

2 Likes

Someone toId me that Congress doesn’t pay for its Ietters sent out to the peopIe in their districts----- is that true?
If that’s true that they don’t pay now----- THEN If Trump is abIe to privatize the USPS, then Congress MIGHT BE PAYING big $ to those for- profit companies just to reach their constituents or even give different rates depending on the poIiticaI party! : 0

2 Likes

Star –

Seemed right – see what I dug up below –

BUT … I would imagine that email has taken the place of constituent mail?
Guess you get an actual letter in reply if you request it?
And think most of their campaign stuff goes out on email?

Looking back to the ANTHRAX “false flag” fiasco – that right wing operation actually
shut down Congress for months right after 9/11 – obviously to prevent mail, documents,
information to come in. Even like 3 1/2 years later – or longer, they were still treating
the mail which took weeks to dry. They killed a few – but I don’t think they reached those
they were really after – like Leahy. Presume he was trying to block the attack on Iraq or
the Patriot Act.
Daschle actually held a press conference to point to his own “demonizing” by the GOP.

In other words … as I reminisce … we’ve been in fascist waters for a long, long time here…

~abcnews.go.com /blogs/politics/2013/06/ho use
Jun 25, 2013 · The money is part of lawmakers’ representational allowances , which can be used to pay for everything from sending mail to constituents to entertaining visitors. The foundation did not know who the visitors were. Although lawmakers were paring back, Allison said, they hadn’t changed certain rules when it came to food and drink.

1. ~www.southernminn.com /faribault_daily_news/news/…
    Aug 15, 2020 · U.S. Rep . Jim Hagedorn sent more mail to constituents — and spent more on it — than all other members of Congress. The mailers can be sent without postage, but the shipping isn’t free; members…

Hi Greenwich:

Thank you for aII of that info. Yes, the Congress peopIe do use mostIy email But I get letters from them asking for money too.
But then as the price of everything is going up—I wonder when the internet wiII become too costIy too. Are we in fascist water? Yes, I agree, but it first struck me when Bush Iied and said that Iraq did the Saudi work on 9/ 11-------------it was as if Ioons were ruIing the word, but deceptive and mean Ioons! : (

1 Like

Look, let’s deal with this simply, and logically. The Constitution prohibits “Cruel and Unusual” punishments. But a “law” that PERMANENTLY disenfranchises convicted felons Is both cruel, AND UNUSUAL, in that it takes the offense for which Prison exists, and changes it to NEVER END the Incarceration of the Spirit, by ruling out ANY participation in the life of the nation.

And in making that unusual measure, it also does away with the idea that crimes CAN be “paid for” – if “paid for” implies some END to that process.

I say that ENDLESS punishment is, carte blanche, against the Constitution. Unless “they” establish death as THE go-to sentence, for every form of felony on the books, they can’t make the case that a felony “deserves” endless punishment.

Hi Stardust –

IMO, the idea that we judge everything by the yardstick of a dollar bill is what needs
to be ended –

According to corporate fascists, anything that benefits anyone but themselves is “too
costly” – Medicare4All being one example, which of course would save us money over
the outrageous PROFIT MARGINS the health care industry has in place.

And – what is our planet worth? Is it’s value to us in $$$$ or common/sense?

Same for the Post Offices which are an asset for communities and states –
With HUNGER in America they’ve even collected food during food drives.

Our nation has been under fascist control – secretly – since the end of WWII/1943
after Stalingrad when Elites here and Internationally who had been funding Hitler/Nazis
realized that their recruit was not going to rule the world for them. The operations put
in play in 1943 to be run out of the CIA guaranteed fascism here – in turning our free
press over to CIA journalists – in moving 200,000 ex-Nazis – and in ensuring that only
right wing governments would rise Italy, France, Germany, Japan. They were not going
to leave anyone to rescue any other nation again. Think of how close Hitler came to
conquering it all. (See Operations below …)

The right wing can only rise on violence, stolen elections, lying propaganda – this has
always been true and is still true today – and 9/11 was just one of the many “false flag”
operations and coups we’ve seen since 1943. Russia described it as “The Reichstag
Fire in NYC.” The buildings were going to have to be brought down at great expense
for the owners by erecting scaffolding to take them down just as they were put up – a
piece at a time. Demolition was NOT permitted. Of course they used it once again to
hit the stock market and likely to test new weapons. For the Patriot Act and War on Iraq.
During the first attack on the World Trade Center they tried to pressure Bill Clinton into
bombing Iraq and he refused. This first attack seemed clearly organized by FBI and
thought to be a practice run.

Of the many events organized here since '43 – of course the McCarthy Era - Cold War -
long time pursuit of control of Vietnam for its location/natural resources – Assassination
of JFK, of course. Destruction of the United Nations immediately with assassination of
Dag Hammarskjold.
See: George Seldes/“All Roads Lead to Rome”
According to John Stockwell/CIA whistleblower/You Tube – CIA = “Catholics in Action.”
All of our intelligence agencies exist to benefit Elites here and internationally.

There have been many endless betrayals of the American public – which has largely
been asleep it seems – perhaps because of the confidence/trust they had in FDR/New Deal
governments?

See: Operation Mockingbird — scroll down to “History” — which was being drafted two years before the end of WWII.

Intended to take our free press, they recruited Phil Graham/Washington Post for his social contacts with other wealthy owners of media. No one is sure whether violence was used in the beginning or threats – but Phil Graham did end up a suicide – or was “suicide-d.”

See: Operation Paperclip — Wiki’s figures are low — more likely 200,000 according to Kay Griggs/YouTube.

They were used to found the CIA, funneled into the FBI and into other government agencies, and to “hot” spots around the world for eventual rise of the Fourth Reich. Not until 1976 did Carl Bernstein write an article for Rolling Stone reporting on Paperclip and CIA “journalists.” You can read it on the internet – “CIA & MEDIA”

See: Operation Gladio — US program to keep right wing governments in place in the countries over which they had control after WWII — Germany, Japan, Italy. In Italy, US actually resurrected the MAFIA in order to ensure the plan would be carried out. CIA also immediately began to run drugs and guns there, laundering the money via the Vatican and using the money to create “insurrections” in Italy to be blamed on Italian government. Note also that immediately our former enemies – Japan and Germany – both rose as world economic powers.

These are the long secret programs which have delivered FASCISM to US. Plus 50 years of Americans voting on hackable electronic voting computers which came in about 1967 and immediately began reporting odd and unbelievable right wing wins. Same for the large computers which came in about 1965 used by MSM and which were allowed to report “winners” based on 1% or even 0% of the computer estimated vote. Actually, prior to the computers, MSM was only permitted to call “winners” based on ACTUAL VOTES TALLIED.

Hi Greenwich:
Wow, I have a of of reading to do, so thank you for that part of US history.
As to voting, I do not see what the big deal is about having votes counted right away and everyone knows before they go to bed that night, Geez, even a few weeks Iater or more wouldn’t be a problem —votes would be counted and whoever won would have been pIanning their cabinets Iong ago.
I read that NBC caIIed the win over Carter, before the West Coast had finished voting. I wonder how many peopIe didn’t vote as they were toId by NBC and then aII the media chimed in and Reagan won. That seemed Iike theft to me,
although since Iater on the Tom Brokaw guy’s career ended badIy—Karma does seem to work at a good pace every once in a whiIe.

1 Like

Agree with you on NBC and call for Reagan before West Coast got to vote –

1 Like