Home | About | Donate

Denouncing Serra Canonization, Mother and Son 'Walk for the Ancestors'

When "America" starts to tell the truth about itself it will cease to exist. May that day soon come. And the Catholic Church must needs do the same and donate its vast fortunes to the indigenous people. Solidarity with the First Nations!

I watched one of the videos linked to in the Buffy Ste Marie video for the song Starwalker. When she does her chants in that song it really does cut to the soul as others mentioned.

Reading some of the posts that followed many made the same commentary , words to the effect that said person realizes deep down somewhere a great injustice done to these people and one could not help but feel empathy for their ongoing struggles.

I feel the same here. Canonizing Serra is a great injustice , once again.

Amen to that!

I can't believe this sicko Serra is the first American canonized by a Pope while actually standing on American soil. For all the hoopla surrounding P Frank1 he's selling the same old wine in new bottles. And, it's still bitter tasting to many, poison possibly? Religious SNAFU since 780 A.D. and it goes on and on and....

Cover your ears! Close your eyes!

Lest anything that would shatter your rhapsodic belief in The Second Coming embodied by Francis invade your consciousness.

(Much less your conscience)

If Jesus did return, he'd still be offed

Only this time, in his name.

The Aztecs were not in California.

Added to that I do not consider burning people at the stake , cutting off limbs , and the various torture implements used during the inquisition as a more enlightened way of committing murder

I have loved Buffy since I first heard her in the '60s. Sang her songs and took inspiration from everything she said and did to awaken us to the plight of her people. I have a sense of connection and understanding since I traveled from mission to mission from San Diego to San Francisco in the '80s. I felt deep sorrow and no pride in my European ancestry. I have some Native American DNA
which thrills me to no end. We must learn to recognize that we are one family connected in countless ways.

The words of Valentin Lopez, Chair of the Amah Mutsun Tribal Band, in the Democracy Now interview linked to in the article, are heartbreaking:

"When they were closing the mission, the last Padre Presidente said, "We are going to be judged very harshly. All we have done was consecrate, baptize and bury the Indians. There are no Indians along the coast of California. We have killed—they’re all dead." And they said, "We need to come up with an alibi or an excuse for what happened."

I use to live in San Juan Batista and close to the mission founded by Junipero Serra. So I know some of his history. Junipero's atrocities are legion. If you do not believe me, look it up. To the indigenous people of that time Junipero was more of a devil than a saint.

It should be noted that Chicanos and Mexican-USAns are overwhelmingly supportive of the Serra canonization because Junipéro is regarded as a symbol of the land and heritage that was robbed from them. It seems that few Anglos (especially, it seems, the ones in California) remember that a third of Mexico's territory - California, Nevada, Arizona New Mexico and Colorado, was taken from then through Anglo-Protestant military aggression in 1849.

So while it is important to point out the abuse of indigenous Americans under Serra, Anglo gringos are not in a very good position to make them, and they have multiple tow-by-tens in their own eyes.

Lamb, I love Buffy, too, though I wasn't even born yet in the 60's. I respect your "no pride in my European ancestry," by which I am guessing you mean the elite-led European tradition that enslaved and tortured millions of dark-skinned people, perpetrated the Conquest, U.S. settler-colonialism, and genocide in the Americas, pioneered the development and use of atomic weapons, and other genocides and atrocities, but I want to share that as a post-BA-possessing white male U.S. citizen who holds and experiences tremendous white, male, and U.S. citizen privilege, among many other unearned privileges, I also feel tenderly about the part of my Hungarian ancestry reflected in my grandmother's cooking and pastoral artwork, her beloved wrinkled face and body, and her moving truth-telling about the two lynchings of African Americans she learned of as a child in her Kentucky hometown and about her mother's befriending one of the victim's widow, Mrs. Cunningham, and their children, to whose adjoining farm my grandmother was often sent to convey messages and small job offers.

From a post I made earlier responding to an article by Ray McGovern:

I also agree that this Pope has talked a much better talk than others in certain respects... but as a student and teacher of California history, I must say it is an abomination that Francis is about to make Father Serra a saint. Serra, the ringleader of Mission genocide of the indigenous people of the land now called California, presided over 90% of Native Californians in Mission lands perishing in a few decades due to being hunted down and killed, punished to death for trying to escape from enslavement, or just killed "by disease" while enslaved in life-threatening conditions including starvation, undernourishment and malnourishment, overworked exhaustion, intense overcrowding, untreated PTSD and ongoing trauma due to enslavement and rape and other abuse, all conditions that render the idea that "disease" killed the people rather than the Mission regime itself about as accurate as to say that many Jews died from "disease" in Nazi concentration camps, as if the Nazis were not directly responsible for these deaths just as much as for the deaths in the ovens. 90% is a big number (that is for every tribe whose homelands were directly occupied by a California mission; the losses were less for tribes less directly impacted by the missions, but their destructive reach extended very far inland and through most of the state). Francis has had many months to read many letters and petitions directing him to the truth about California history, and the truth of the unhealed wounds that will only fester if Serra is sainted. Francis claims to care about indigenous people--but then why decide that some are just unimportant? That's far from equality.

Most of what I know about this history comes from:
An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, and
Cross of Thorns: The Enslavement of California's Indians by the Spanish Missions by Elias Castillo, and
A Time of Resistance: California Indians During the Mission Period: 1769-1848 produced by Klamath-Trinity Joint Unified School District Indian Education Program and available through Oyate

I agree that it can be convenient for white U.S. people to wag fingers at the Spanish Missions in California in a remix of the "Black Legend" U.S. people have long told, in which the Spaniards are the great villains of New World Conquest, in contrast to the distinguished northern Englishmen, whose leaders commanded atrocities and engineered the use of imported poor Scots-Irish (pre-trained in imperial work as Protestant colonists in Ireland), for example, as Indian-killing frontiersmen to pave the way for the official U.S. military's "defensive" intervention and U.S. "respectable" settlement. U.S. folks need to learn of the genocides that were the very project of the creation and century-long expansion of the U.S.A.--and also the living history of indigenous peoples' resistance, persistence, vision, and leadership up to today and tomorrow.

I recommend Murder State: California's Native American Genocide, 1846-1873 to understand the racist populist, elite-led campaign in California only a short century and a half ago to exterminate or disappear the Native Californians just as they had begun to recover from the Missions--that recovery occurred, by the way, from about when Mexico won its independence from Spain and shut down the Missions, up to the Mexican-American War, which the U.S. deceitfully provoked only to sustain and expand slavery-based society. Mexico's rule of California was better for Native Californians than under the Spanish or the U.S., though certainly it has been the indigenous people themselves who have ensured their presence and agency through all these times, and who have extraordinarily risen from the 1846-1873 California genocide.

Gosh, got to agree with you. How many centuries do they get?
The snake charming eve . . . bingo.
Shut it down.