Home | About | Donate

'Deplorable Act in Face of Global Crisis': Trump Condemned as US Buys Up Nearly Entire Supply of Covid-19 Drug

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/01/deplorable-act-face-global-crisis-trump-condemned-us-buys-nearly-entire-supply-covid

5 Likes

And if the administration hadn’t bought up the supply, the headlines would blare “Trump fails to take sufficient action to secure drug supply in the face of COVID”

4 Likes

Always the Peach at the Party

After so many fuckups by trump it says a lot about the people still carrying his water

13 Likes

But Trump says we have no cases so why do we need the drug? I hope some other country develops a vaccine and refuses to send any to the USA. BDS the fucking USA. I would place a large bet on Trump having investments in Gilead as well. I know he is not doing it because he gives a fuck about the citizens of the USA.

5 Likes

Once again the focus on trump.

Look at the history of Gilead! Remember Rummy and his involvement with Gilead?
This is no surprise.

FFS, please let’s expose the enablers as well.
Who owns Gilead Sciences?
h-ttps://stockzoa.com/ticker/gild/

Wells Fargo, Charles Schwab, JP Morgan chase, Goldman sacks, Vanguard . . . I could go on!
YOU may own some of Gilead Sciences and not even know it!

8 Likes

US is the epicenter, right?

1 Like

Gotta love your empathy for the rest of the world. The USA could demand that Gilead make its drug available for others to manufacture to help save lives AROUND the WORLD. But of course it is all about profit and nothing else. And of course American lives are always more important than others… Such fucking arrogance. I am speaking generally, not specifically to you as a person. While I have empathy for the rest of the world, I have little to none for the arrogant fucking USA who spreads death around the world on a daily basis with its illegal military might but supposedly cares about the lives of its own citizens. Fuck the USA.

13 Likes

Obviously this is true, and it would remain true if it were a democrat or a republican. It is even more egregious because the drug was developed with millions in tax money, and now the government is protecting the right of a corporation to own the rights and to be the sole profiteer, as it does with basically every breakthrough drug made.

7 Likes

Seeing how the USA allows countless innocents to die in illegal wars, I do have little empathy for the citizens who keep on voting for those in either party that enable these killings of innocents. And please stop calling citizens innocent who have endless blood on their hands who vote for such killings over and over again. There is nothing innocent about the USA and its citizens.

8 Likes

It about reelection. Make the situation really bad then ride in as savior. It’s really that simple. Plus, asking the company to act in the public’s interest is weak at best. Ask instead how our governmental structures got us to the point we are with graveling to corporations for their nonexistent humanity to “help us.” Please, spare the efforts. The rules of the game need to change, and that involves ridding governmental corruption that allows all this mess to continue unabated. It is however working great for the oligarchy, and thus it continues.

7 Likes

Utterly and completely insensate. What is being bought here is a time frame of irresponsible bullying behavior with the ‘touchdown’ at the cost of dignity and integrity. In the mean time anti personal behavior components (sending infection rates soaring) like wearing masks gin up super-vectors sending other costs soaring.

The insane narrowness through exclusion of interrelated concerns that could actually establish balance and advances on addressing the spectrum of problems this system has manifest is flying into its inverse: the INTERNALIZATION of those costs. The centuries of jaw flapping manipulation of language to hypnotize aggregated sectors of an ‘economy’ as opposed to a society are completing their mission. One missing link though: An economy does not exist without a healthy society. Only problem being that neotenized schoolyard bullies strutting their ‘power’ imagine they are a government rather than the criminal cabal that they are. Citizens have responsibilities when faced with criminality.

3 Likes

Which is why it shouldn’t be patented at all and any manufacturer around the world should be allowed to make it.

15 Likes

Hi TT of B (always wondering how you came up with that name which I find funny in a dark way!).
I tried to speak to that in a post under the R. Reich piece-----while I am one for erring on the side of empathy and compassion we are talking something a bit different here I do believe.

When I see trump/pence signs in front of houses or businesses I know racists and those that deny science live or work there.

Initially when trump took office there were many on the left and in the middle who encouraged others to have empathy for trump voters, to try to understand where they are coming from---- think about these poor trump voters who are in pain, fearful, angry at the system etc. Think of them as hurting . . they are clinging to trump because they are desperate.

That mindset is not applicable, imo. Unless you are completely incapable of thinking, totally cognitively impaired---- trump’s use of race baiting, fear mongering could not be more apparent. Thus, if you are voting for him, you choose racism, hate, cruelty.

And on many levels, you are choosing cruelty when voting for the other part of the oligarchy----the dems who even after covid exposed (even further) the cruelty of the for profit health care they still will not advocate for M4all.

Everyday we hear pleas for covid victims and their families (with “healthcare”) to aid them at their “go fund me” sites to cover medical costs.

This is a culture of malignant narcissism which is NOT healed by having empathy for the narcissist (or sociopath or psychopath). It is up to the culture to make this kind of cruel, hateful behavior unacceptable. Given the foundation of the u.s. and the level of racism, cruelty (and willful ignorance) that exists I don’t have faith that we can move in that direction

5 Likes

Countless Americans wouldn’t be at risk of dying if Trump’s response to the virus hadn’t been so incompetent. That incompetence can’t justify this immorality.

8 Likes

It’s this kind of event that makes medical ethics so problematic. And gives students nightmares if not outright short term PTSD.
And it also is an example of evolution occurring in real-time. Species who cooperate within their ecosystem have a higher chance of passing on their genes.
There is no right or wrong in this situation. If Trump buys up all the supply to give US citizens herd immunity, thereby stopping the virus cold in this particular country, then we can offer it for free or at very low cost to the Global South and the poorest parts of the Global North.
Because the end game is herd immunity and some means of lowering the death rate to an acceptable level. It’s called risk versus reward on a species level.
I am far from being cold-hearted and not having empathy and compassion, but I learned a lot in medical ethics courses. The first thing was…you can’t save everybody. You save as many as possible who are properly triaged.

2 Likes

There is nothing innocent about those who are complicit. Claims of most forms of naivete are fast losing legitimacy and headed off the cliff.

2 Likes

Western structures for society are linear while corporate structures and practices are nonlinear, pragmatic and view ethics as non-consequential. Society seems to be spinning from the differentials. Plus global changes in climate are arguably entering a spectrum of exponential change phases.

1 Like

You are so correct! How did we get so lawless, congress makes the laws so I guess they have been the catalyst.

How come some real journalists can’t list every congress person and how much money they take from who. How many are not corporate thugs?

1 Like

“The Empire Strikes Again.”

Monopolistic Hoarding For Those Who Can Pay.

Live, Or Let Die?

3 Likes

I am inspired to be perfectly cynical, maybe conspiratorial. So Trump sabotages preventive measures against Covid 19 and we have the largest infection rate in the developed world. So along comes this drug; which is not a cure, just hastens recovery, from a company with a monopoly. So Trump buys up the whole supply at what exorbitant price is not known; which will have lots of customers because as previously stated Trump has sabotaged prevention creating a large market. This smells of a corporate subsidy, boondoggle or gift to Gilead. We know how Trump thinks-$$$$- is this not far fetched?

On a positive note a real vaccine has been developed by a group from Oxford (that’s England) and is being tested in Brazil. So it is out of US’s grubby hands, if it works.

4 Likes