Home | About | Donate

'Despicable: Trump Administration Threatens to Veto UN Resolution Combating Rape as Weapon of War

'Despicable: Trump Administration Threatens to Veto UN Resolution Combating Rape as Weapon of War

Jake Johnson, staff writer

In what critics denounced as the Trump administration's latest attack on women's rights across the globe, U.S. officials are reportedly threatening to veto a United Nations Security Council resolution opposing the use of rape as a weapon of war over its language on reproductive health.

"In the latest step in Trump's war on women, U.S. opposes healthcare for survivors of rape during war. Yes, you read that right."
—Heather Barr, Human Rights Watch

1 Like

We have to get a message out to the world that Trump does not represent the morality of the people on this issue, along with most other issues.

Trump now gets the tag of “Pig of America.”

4 Likes

A loathsome pig. Absolutely despicable pig regime with a congress equally hateful and ignorant.

6 Likes

This is news ?

This is consistent with the oppression the American Taliban Party (ATP) has been inflicting at home and abroad ever since it morphed from the GOP a few years back.

4 Likes

Sad to say some SIGNIFICANT percentage of Americans SUPPORT CRIMINALIZING WOMEN having any control over our own bodies—whether its in intimate health decisions (like abortion & contraceptives) or in having the RIGHT TO SAY NO to sex…and these SAME people APPEAR to SUPPORT rapists, since they DISBELIEVE majority of women. Their “definition” of what they call “legitamate rape” is NARROW: the perpetrator must be a STRANGER & usually a man of COLOR. The problem is the MAJORITY (60% to 80%)of sexual assaults are perpetrated by someone the woman KNOWS (casual aquaintence, co-worker, friend, ex-partner); victims & perpetrators are almost always of SAME RACE (90% or more)
The 'anti-choice"/ignore sexual violence worldview sees women as inherently inferior to men, created to SERVE men and with few rights. (Recently, some of them even say women should LOSE VOTING RIGHTS—as women are MORE likely to vote for social safety net and other “liberal” programs).
This attempt to enforce a reprehensible DE-HUMANIZATION of women INTERNATIONALLY is simply a more brutally honest expression of the fascists who we’ve recognized are WHITE SUPREMACISTS–but, who are also & equally ANTI-WOMEN.

9 Likes

For most of human history slavery was the norm and women were chattel…a notch above slaves in the social order. That “SIGNIFICANT percentage of Americans” would love to return to that era.

3 Likes

How do we get out this message effectively though? We cannot just do it on this site or through calls to congress.

1 Like

Given his still wide spread support, not to mention America’s historical record, i fear it is you who do not represent the morality of Americans.

1 Like

Rape is not a choice as we know. Betsy Devious supports the view you stated BTW and we know she is non human, but looks like a woman. We already know about these issues, but we need solutions not just stating of the crime.

1 Like

I disagree, and his “wide” spread support is through Wall Street and the MSM. I think many people do not even think about these issues unless something has happened to them or someone they know. And THAT is the problem.

1 Like

They’ve always been there not just a few years ago- it’s just that the financial crash and the anger that has ensued have caused this to be brought to the forefront.

1 Like

You could use the same line of reasoning to explain away the endless list of atrocities that make up America’s history, but at some that excuse just wears thin.
Trump is only an anomaly in that he is too stupid to hide what he is.

3 Likes

Yes, he is stupid, but also shameless. And he is an anomaly. Between genocide of tribal people, forced sterilizations, slavery and the disgust of the financial meltdowns not to mention endless wars etc. I honestly do not have trust in that many humans which is why I love four footed animals! The question is this: Now what? Change can be hard, and after this many years even harder. Let’s be the solutionaries.

1 Like

What I was saying is that the financial meltdown brought out the anger to the forefront not even hidden.

Whatever else one might say about Pwesident Twump, he’s a great advertisement for the works of George Orwell and Margaret Atwood.

3 Likes

The UN’s primary function is to outlaw war in the first place. In this it has been undermined and opposed consistently from its earliest days by the US/UK/France, a host of Western and other powers. We are addicted to violence and war and determined to glamorise and promote it as the “manly” way to behave. The fight against rape in war has to start much further back, much more fundamentally; it has to start by re-moulding what we think of as being heroic masculine behaviour. Everything else is just treating the symptoms, not the cause.

4 Likes

Far as i can tell there is only one solution, revolution. By any and every means available.
How to bring that about in what little time we have left i have no idea, but the alternative is extinction.
Our first goal should be the complete dismantling of capitalism, which both fosters and rewards sociopathic behavior thereby ensuring that monsters are always in power.
Followed by a complete paradigm shift from an extractive economy and lifestyle to a preservative one.
Sounds simple enough, right?

5 Likes

The UN function is to carry the desires of the US…a branch of NATO in New York practicing diplomacy by violence and bribes.

1 Like

Why the HELL does the USA have to be on the WRONG side of nearly EVERY international issue. I am so sick of this crap! If I only had the means to do so, I
would flee this shthle in a heartbeat. I am disgusted with my country, and I fear
its unbelievable levels of stupidity.

Sorry. I just have to rant.

7 Likes

Most of us have benefitted from some type of capitalism. Have/had a job? Then you benefitted. It’s out of control now and corrupt beyond fixing.