Home | About | Donate

Despite CDC Moratorium—and With Help From White House—Corporate Landlords Have Gone on Eviction Spree

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/26/despite-cdc-moratorium-and-help-white-house-corporate-landlords-have-gone-eviction

1 Like

From ProPublica:

When Falling Behind on Rent Leads to Jail Time

Evictions in Arkansas can snowball from criminal charges to arrests to jail time because of a 119-year-old law that mostly impacts female, Black and low-income renters. Even prosecutors have called it unconstitutional.

~https://www.propublica.org/article/when-falling-behind-on-rent-leads-to-jail-time

9 Likes

Gentrification super spreader

3 Likes

Hi Giovanna_Lepore:

I read that in San Francisco, homeowners started putting boulders on the sidewalks so that the homeless people could not access the space… In LA, there were were tent cities all over the sidewalks
sigh------what are the renters doing? Can’t they rely on the government to help with housing? There are so many empty hotel rooms—surely they can be rented out------and all this in the middle of a time with so many unemployed people. : (
So elected officials ----what are you all doing with your time now—besides wasting it on a Coney Barrett kind of person.

5 Likes

It is beyond unconstitutional it is egregiously evil and immoral in a country that spends $ 740,000,000,000.00 a year to murder people for war profits. Amerika! YOU ARE A SPIRITUALLY, DEAD, FASCIST, COUNTRY!

9 Likes

There is only one problem with the “stop evictions” movement: Not all landlords are corporate or wealthy. There are some people who may own one property for a small bit of side income because THEY are hurting for money also. (I don’t know why I’ve never seen that aspect mentioned.)

Had the corrupt government made regular payments to the people as they are doing in Canada ($2,000 per month) and several other countries, I don’t believe the eviction crisis would be as bad as it is.

Don’t misunderstand me. I don’t want to see anymore people becoming homeless (Been there, done that myself) but to penalize those who happen to have a property for a little extra survival money?
That is wrong.

3 Likes

Can’t help but suspect behind some of these evictions is the idea that homeless people don’t vote.

5 Likes

If you’re an American, and have been paying any attention in the last forty years, you would already know that the USA has become a brutal and ugly place, where being poor is a sin, getting caught is sacrilege, and good people die like dogs in the street for no reason.
It’s going to be nasty winter, no matter who wins. And after the Trumpies lose, they will spend every day from November 4 to January 20, making everything worse.

8 Likes

Cynical but, as a fellow cynic, a high probability, BigB.
It would be a real change to have leaders that knew what their “jobs” were and looked out for “We the People” first. THAT will never happen under the current one-party failed system in a failed state.

~

1 Like

We cynics of the world would unite, but most of us think it would be disappointing :slight_smile:
My genuine fear for America is that, not only have we seen a government that has been in smash and grab mode for 6 months, but after they lose they will go into a full on, balls to the wall, slash and burn operation. Poisoning the wells, salting the fields, you know, real Old Testament revenge.

4 Likes

On TV today.
A libertarian republican business person advised that corona19 ain’t gonna stop infecting for at least two to three more years.
All plans must include this longer term solutions.

We do not know why medicals are not using steroids.
We do know that after effect is chronic fatigue.
We do know that solutions are not right around the corner. Just election campaign lies.

1 Like

Slumlording has been one of the most lucrative profit centers for generations of the Trump clan.

4 Likes

Sadly, I fear the same, my friend. I’ve read where we aren’t alone expecting that either.

1 Like

While it has become more visible during the past six months, the GOP has been in “smash and grab mode” for decades. Between November 4 and January 20 expect a repeat of Sherman’s 1865 march to the sea…on steroids, while the “hearings” to confirm Clarence Thomas’ young, fascist SCOTUS successor distracts us.

2 Likes

Exactly what the Rev. Jeremiah Wright meant when he said “God damn America.” That’s where we are at folks. Half of our population have sunk into a cesspool of greed, hate, and racism.

3 Likes

Yeah, if Trump loses, it will be revenge time. He’s openly stated in several of his books that, if someone screws him, he screws them back even more, up against the wall, eye for an eye. It wouldn’t surprise me if, in a fit of true pique and outrage, he tries to order the military to just nuke the country. After all, he did mention at one of his pressers or rallies or whatever, that if he lost, he would unleash fire and fury like we’ve never seen on those who didn’t support him.
As for the whole private property situation with rentals…ever since the Enclosure Act in England forced entire villages off the land so the landlord could get more money by raising sheep, and into cities to work in the mills that processed the wool from said sheep, people have been evicted from their homes. With the massive infusion of stolen wealth from the New World into Europe’s economy, triple digit inflation set in, forcing such changes. Of course the people revolted, and heretics like John Calvin tried to save the landlord class by stating they were poor because they weren’t part of The Elect. John Knox borrowed that idea to keep the poor Scots in line, and so they were sent to Turtle Island as shock troops.
I would love to see a complete turn-around on the concept of “private property”. But, alas, being poor will turn into a capital offense…

4 Likes

first they will evict -then discover that there are no longer enough workers who can afford their rents -then the bankers and large institutional slumlords will buy up the property for pennies on the dollar-- then once again the wealthy and powerful will fill their bank accounts on the pain and suffering

2 Likes

Makes prefect sense, corporations are here to benefit from our laws, not abide by them. Laws are for suckers and losers, right Trump?

4 Likes

I know how I can refute your argument.

I can just chant USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! one hundred and fifty times and your argument will be thoroughly annihilated. In Murca the rulers don’t need reasons anymore. They can just direct their sycophants to chant USA! USA! USA! USA! and your arguments are toast. Hate to break it to ya bro.

2 Likes

What did anyone expect from an “administration” in which ‘The Foreclosure King’ Steve Mnuchin is Secre­tary of the Treasury??  Had O’Bummer & P’Loser (and Harris?) done their jobs in 2009 he would have been prose­cuted along with the Banksters responsible for the Bush Depression of 2008-2009, and hopefully still serving time in prison for Bank Fraud instead of “serving” Tweetle-Dumb & Co.

4 Likes