Home | About | Donate

Despite Community Protest, Militarized Police Remove Housing Rights Activists From Oakland Home in Pre-Dawn Raid

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/01/14/despite-community-protest-militarized-police-remove-housing-rights-activists-oakland

1 Like

I’d love to see militarized police use these tactics not against poor people like they always do, but against Trump, Wall Street, Cheney, the Epstein crew, and other white-collar criminals who break laws with impunity…getting away with murder.

8 Likes

I hope Bernie and Liz send a campaign rep out there to bring more attention and and to protect those in custody from somehow committing suicide in prison while the cameras are somehow disabled. The cops are Israeli trained nazis and they should all be dismissed for cause.

5 Likes

From the article:

“‘I just think it’s important to say that we need to take speculation out of real estate, and we need to decommodify housing,’ Fife said in the minutes before the interview ended.”

The way to do this is to establish community land trusts.

8 Likes

I suspect you might be singing a different tune if these guys had moved into your parent’s home while they were away (I have to assume you don’t own one). Eminent Domain is bad enough when governments force property sales, but to attempt to force a sale at below market value ‘because they can afford it’, is like something out of The Sopranos. I can’t afford a home in Cali - SO I DON’T LIVE THERE! These people should make the same choice. They have zero right o live there, or in the Hamptons, or even to start building a cabin on Miami Beach.

1 Like

Dude, obviously people who break the law should be dealt with, including if they are illegally squatting.
But somehow a genius like you missed the obvious point I was making, which is that militarized police raids only happen to non-violent poor people, not the wealthy elites who do far worse crimes than illegally occupying a home.
I have to suspect, with much evidence from your clueless comment, that you don’t own a brain or progressive conscience.

3 Likes

Hello DavidCarson,
Nothing like our militarized police forces trained by the Israeli Police and Military or other police forces passing on the training they received from the Israelis. I call them Pre-Gestapo as their tactics aren’t quite there yet but the photo shows them in full military gear necessary to pacify the enemy by a major show of force. I know that their ginormous brass sets can’t be seen with the most powerful scanning electron microscopes nor the HST aka the Edwin Hubble Telescope or the James Webb telescope!!!

4 Likes

You sound like one of my kids back in the day - 'Hey Dad, Susie’s parents let her stay out all night - I should be able to !" Every action stands on its own. They don’t get a pass because they don’t have as much money as Epstein. How should they have been removed? Why didn’t the ‘community’ help them out in some way other than encouraging them to steal property? That is the real question.

1 Like

Nice to see Fred Hampton Jr. at the rally for M4H carrying on the struggle.

3 Likes

The entire state of california has been transformed into a dystopian “pottersville.”

I moved out of the state 11 years ago for work and I visit the los angeles area often to see friends and family. On a recent trip, just for fun I looked up the current rent for the 750 sq ft 1bedroom + loft apt i rented for $900/month in culver city before I left 11 years ago - it rents now for $2500/month.

Absolute insanity. I love the landscape and the weather but you need to be single with a 100k job just to scrape by in a Californian city.

9 Likes

Would that be like credit union VS a bank comparison. Not familiar with comm. land trusts.

Partly because the rich are able to slide on their tax rate, and slide through loopholes. If they paid a fair share, housing wouldn’t be as much of a problem, and with the right people in government.

4 Likes

No. Engage the rest of your brain.

As a Senior you must remember Prop 13.

It was the first effort long ago to stop the Wedgewoods of our predatory capitalism from pushing Grandma and Grandpa out of their home of 20 years because they couldn’t afford the predatory taxation

Grandparents pushed out into the streets with their homes sold on the block like this one to the speculation of a shark like Wedgewood

The poor need help for jobs and housing from a government created to

“establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity”

Posterity…you know… The little kids in the room…when the jackbooted mercenary fascists broke in at 6am to arrest those scary terrorist mothers

8 Likes

The real question is why a pro-police state troll like you has shown up at CD to post clueless comments defending the use of militarized police against non-violent poor people.

2 Likes

About the ridiculously armed police force to handle a community issue - no surprise. Police state is always there for poor communities.

But Senior_Citizen, I believe, raises an important point about the non-rights of individuals to occupy others’ homes. This article does not much go into the depth of this case, but their interview this morning at DemocracyNow, explained in depth what this case is about. It’s not a case of an individual squatting in another’s house, it’s a case of a displaced community that is bringing attention to these ruthless corporations that buy thousands of low income houses, keep them empty en mass for a while, till they flip them for higher prices. This is market manipulation, against which, we do not, it would appear, have the right laws. So, I highly suggest listening to the Dem.Now interview if you want to understand the depth of misery, and state control, reflected in this case. I repeat, it is not a case of an individual buying a fixer upper that is now occupied by others, as Senior_Citizen seems to understand it. It is a case of civil disobedience to an unjust and exploitative system.

9 Likes

In the US, property is sacred. People are disposable.

5 Likes

Well , the Orange Blob DID give the police service heavily armored military vehicles to use .

2 Likes

For heavens sake. Oakland can and should look into public housing. My home town has had public housing since the Korean War. It is brick, well built, efficient. Then, in the mid 60’s, added senior housing near the grocery stores, churches.

Even Robert Taft, Mr. republican, endorsed public housing.

The sheriffs use of tactical garb and an apparent AR15, gets votes. As if the ladies have an abrams tank in the living room, ready to go!!

More fun and safer to have a D11

from the article: Oakland has four times as many empty houses as unhoused people.

Sounds like market manipulation - too many houses should bring the rental rates down which is not what the speculators want. It is insane that rent is so high in the Bay Area when there is not a housing shortage. Greed, pure and simple.

9 Likes

Ooh, ooh, “steal property.” What utter bullshit.

Every piece of “property” on Earth was STOLEN. You pretend that the present looters and thieves are “legitimate.” The entire edifice of wealth and property in the colonized world is illegitimate. Your phony reverence for “the law” ignores the most massive crimes in human history, upon which this society is built. Or do you think “The Pope” was right and good to declare that the (white, Christian) colonizers had God’s blessing to steal everything from the un-Christians, and enslave them in the process? Yes, that papal “Doctrine of Discovery” is the literal “legal” foundation of “property rights” in the stolen USA, literally cited in foundational Supreme Court rulings on land title in the USA.

The “investors” and hedge funds and speculators who take these properties today are simply following directly in the colonizing footprints of their predecessors. Today’s looting class claims “the law” on their side as they distort the so-called “free market” in housing and prey on and demonize the dispossessed.

Live in your fantasy, it’s a widespread one, but reality bites, and the locked-out will fight back. And non-violence was not the way the colonizers came to “own” everything.

i stand with the squatters. They are in the right, seeking to turn around this ugly monstrosity of a system and restore some dignity to human existence on Earth.

8 Likes