Home | About | Donate

Despite 'Frantic' Walk-Back Efforts, Group Says Trump Threat to Destroy Social Security Must Be Believed—and Defeated

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/14/despite-frantic-walk-back-efforts-group-says-trump-threat-destroy-social-security

2 Likes

Hey Doofus Donny, you were supposed to do this silently.
–The Big Club

~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJeFrqBJF6E

5 Likes

trump & company are fascistic scum, and so are those who support, and vote for him/it, that includes my dear brother and, some nieces and nephews. Still family, but…definately on the scum side of life.

5 Likes

For me, Trump’s vicious attacks on our biosphere and his threats to the lifelines of Social Security and health care are my primary motivation to vote against him even if it means putting an “X” next to the filthy corrupt Biden. The rest, post selection day, is up to us.

7 Likes

Yeah, I have finally come to that conclusion … kicking and screaming all the way … as well… You know we are going to get attacked nonstop for saying that though, right? Whatever,
I have a job to still work A few more years , a big garden to tend, animals to help, local third party good eggs to help get elected and a grandkid to actively help raise… A few fellow keyboard warriors I like and respect giving me the business is not going to alter my well thought out decision…
I hate we are in this place AGAIN…

7 Likes

This is not a threat to be believed by Trump, every republican without a single exception is behind this idea of killing social security. I believe Obama even floated the idea for a moment, but it went nowhere. Unless Americans wake up, and they never ever will, slashing the security and protections in place, as anorexic as they may be after 45 years of the incessant gutting already done, is a fact that will definitely come to pass, although if it is done by republicans or the false opposition democrats is uncertain. What is certain is that in every election a right wing administration and congress and court is guaranteed unless actual progressives replace a vast majority of the incumbents. Right now progressives in the federal government are about .1%.

2 Likes

Yawn, so tired of being “offensive” to some folks because of my thoughts and attitude, think I’ll go out and pull some offensive weeds/trumps from around the trees, hang out with our good cat, smoke some good bud, and feel bad(NOT) about my attitude.

2 Likes

I don’t think fascist scum is even 1/1000000000000000000000 severe enough to describe the verminous derelict scum of the earth who even for an millisecond considered Trump a viable candidate, much less voted for him. I’d place any cockroach higher than them.

4 Likes

Said “verminous scum” fall into two three categories:

1. The .01% whose wealth will continue to increase exponentially as long as Trump and the GOP keep cutting taxes and stacking courts.

2. The middle class cult members who don’t believe a word Trump says but love the fact that the GOP gets ways with more egregious lies with each passing year. As long as those lies continue to oppress black and brown people this group doesn’t care about the economy and they never cared about democracy.

3. Low IQ middle and lower class cult members that actually believe Trump’s and the GOP serial lies.

5 Likes

And what do we do about the millions of people who have lost their jobs, in addition to those who were already unemployed or underemployed, unable to pay into the system and reap any benefits when they reach retirement age?

2 Likes

That guy in the horn rimmed glasses should be in Jail. He made a donation to Karmala Harris and she made sure that did not happen.

7 Likes

Just to clarify: You and @Clyde_Ankle are barely in the ballpark with Obama’s Grand Bargain, which would not have killed Social Security by a long shot. It only included a change in the way a few of the measures of inflation (chained CPI as it’s known) would go forward, pretty much guaranteed to lower SSI payments a bit. Obama’s bullshit Catfood Commission had just warned that the Social Security fund was running out of money. One of their many dubious conclusions.

That in itself pissed me off and I joined others in condemning the proposed change in chained CPI as the first step in destroying Social Security. That’s the point, chained CPI wouldn’t kill Social Security, just open a door that needs to stay closed unless it’s to make Social security more generous.

On the other hand, the many government formulas for measuring various CPIs (they differ by age group) were already giving people on SSI minimal and sometimes zero increases to their monthly checks. For seniors, that’s because items like higher education and housing aren’t factored into their CPIs because seniors don’t usually buy those things.

Hope that helps – it’s a damned confusing topic.

2 Likes

Both Trump and his daughter, Ivanka, made political donations to Kambama Harris as well.

It’s all one big happy political mafia here in the USA – fuggedabowdit.

3 Likes

As this recession/depression plods on, and incomes continue to shrink, it has become clear that unless the income cap is eliminated, social security and Medicare will disappear within a generation.
Only big, bold action will save SSI and Medicare now. Think Joe and the Third Way cronies have the fortitude and the chutzpah to handle it?
Yeah, I don’t think so either.

7 Likes

I heartily agree. And more importantly, it demonstrates Obama’s willingness to take his bipartisan rhetoric to dangerous levels. Levels at which he entertained opening the door to the first of those cuts because his bipartisan Catfood Commission advised him to, and because the d-party is always worried that they’ll be criticized for their deficit spending by the r-party, even though the r-party has been running up record deficits on a regular basis.

Kabuki shows. That’s all our leaders have to offer.

4 Likes

I wish it were true, but NOT BY MY BIBLE TRUMPING RELATIVES! Trump has them so hypnotized he is a lot like what Hitler must have been like. when he had all the good Germans under his spell.

2 Likes

They are telling us to believe our eyes and ears when Trump speaks, but not when Biden or any DLC speaks.

This article was pure nonsense. Biden has said the same things, or worse, and not a mention of that.

5 Likes

You missed one:

1. People who are so disgusted with both parties screwing them over that they decided they didn’t have much to lose by voting for a crazed wildcard.
3 Likes

No, that is Biden’s job. Trump tells you now…and Biden is silent now and will tell you the same thing…later!

3 Likes

Can we defund Trump’s gas and electric at the White House?