Home | About | Donate

Despite Its Concerns About Climate Change, Gates Foundation Invests $1.4 Billion in Fossil Fuel Companies: Report

Whose surprised? Gates and his bride are two of the richest people on Earth. When we see people like them and Buffet and the rest of the .001 % divest from "Dirty Energy" sector we'll know its curtains for those Corps. Until then Bill and Melinda will sleep soundly while their Corp. personas continue to rape and plunder the planet.

Bill Gates wants to spray ocean water into the stratosphere to create a cloud cover to cool the Earth. That way we can continue to waste fossil fuels with no cares.
What could possibly go wrong with that plan?
If there were any problems with his plan, we could just close all of the Windows and reboot.

The Gates Foundation talks a mean 'Green' streak but in practice, the major focus/concern is to generate profits that go untaxed for the most part. The foundation itself has not kept its house clean with several of the executives coming under scrutiny for illegal and questionable conduct/operations on a worldwide scale and it is interesting that when they come to light, they just as rapidly disappear into the ether. Their intrusion into public education with purposeful intent to push for privatization, vouchers, and charter schools is reprehensible...what would they know about PUBLIC education...both went to expensive, elite country day schools/academies and private universities (for most of their university education). How many student loans did they incur? Yeah, thought so.

Billy Boy is also in favor of other "geoengineering" idiocies. Some of them include pouring millions of tons of iron filings into the ocean so that we can supposedly remove excess CO2 absorbed into the water. Typical mentality from a technoid of his ilk. These schemes are worthless and lead to the pathetic idea that we can avoid the consequences of our actions. Einstein had a great reply to this - "You cannot fix a problem by employing the same level of thinking which created it in first place." We need new thinking to get out of this appalling mess.
What a surprise that the Gates Foundation would still be trying to get a profit by investments of this kind. You'd think that the richest man in the world would finally conclude that he has enough money and it was time to do the right thing. You'd be wrong. This is the Age of Billionaires and they are largely detestable.

Naive comment. Read Seatower's post.

Am I wrong that these two and or their foundation are pushing corporate agriculture in Africa and are associated with BlackWater vie some sort of Monsanto connection?

What is the world dealing with here?

The Gates Foundation is being sued for its vaccination "work" in India. Since CD doesn't allow links to be posted, google "Vactruth, India Holds Bill Gates Accountable." Gates is like the vast majority of the uber wealthy. He thinks his money gives him the right to play god.

Educate yourself about Gates history and his Foundation before you so casually suggest you "like" him. Life is not a FaceBook page. He has been stealing and lying his way to the top since day one.

Bill Gates has all his adult life been a religiously devoted money grubber.

Why should he change now? He is too wealthy to evolve into the 21st Century. He is a dinosaur. Like Monsanto and GE and JPMC and CITi AND BofA & Wells, Fargo, and Morgan, Stanley & Goldman, Sachs, and Warren Buffett, et. al.

We should not fight them to keep them from the rising tar pits of rage around the globe. We should continue flattering their petty egos. Maybe even help them take a hike into one of those tar pits.

He loves nuclear power in China , and everywhere else.

He also loves unregulated GMOs.

It was a write off for him, and his way of playing god. He doesn't need to make money. He only needs to control and direct. I'm not jealous. I never suggested I was. That is your projection. And I don't know Bill Gates, so I can't say whether I like him or not. I appose his corrupt and exploitative business practices and his exceptionalist attitude.

Well, jangels is clearly better educated than you are so what do you say we wait until you catch up.

Dumping a load of nonsense onto a thread and then defending with simple-minded conclusionary responses makes you worse than a troll. It makes you boring. I haven't seen a single post of yours that even comes close to making sense let alone a presentable argument.

Just letting you know where I stand.

mcp

I like the Gates and I think they will change their minds about investing in fossil fuels.
In the meantime let's get our tax $ out of the corporate welfare that supports fossil fuels.
Maybe the Gates will support a Solar Summer this year and college students can do a photovoltaic peace corp project across the United States. Solar Power to the People.

First of all, divestment does not "de-fund" anyone. The oil companies made their money by selling the shares in the initial offering. They don't get a penny off of any subsequent sale of shares. The only impact divestment has on an oil company is they have to change the name on the dividend checks.

But what you really want is for investors to sell their profitable investments and then give the money over to speculative ventures in green energy. We saw how well that went when the U.S. government "invested" tax monies in Solyndra. if Gates invested like that, he'd soon be living under a bridge in a cardboard box.

Perfect. People like you with no knowledge of the topics being discussed other than what they get from the corporate media, always resort quickly to insulting their critics...

Wow, good question...Thanks for the tip... I'll try to look this up.

Once you get into "making money".. .it's like a drug... it's a sickness.... called greed... I've seen this before and am in the middle of an interesting situation along these lines... It's one thing to do a job, a task, a craft and be paid a decent wage/compensation for doing so, vs. making money off money... that, is a drug...

Gates is also covertly anti-reproductive rights, usng the UN's "maternal health" program as a cover to prevent women from access to on-demand medical abortions. They spout contraception and family "planning" (a step up from the Pope) but once pregnant, a woman is expected to carry the fetus full term, where the medical community is happy to deliver the child, either to a woman who didn't want it or can't support it, or place it on the long list for foreign adoption.

That right-wing Christian anti-abortion Cdn PM Harper is supporting the insidious UN/Gates "maternal health" program speaks volumes. That Harper is doing so with Cdn taxpayer $$ is reprehensible.

Divestment can be a useful strategy, but it is not a cure-all. If divestment/boycotting was narrowly targeted, say to cripple seemingly unstoppable giants like EXXON or Walmart, then yes there could be some beneficial impact on the thinking of the 0.01%. They do not want to be exposed as vulnerable to the 99%.

Unfortunately, too many "divestment" initiatives simply remove any moderate voices from the shareholder meetings. Which is why the 0.01% and their 0.1% enabler class are not too concerned. If necessary, the 0.01% will dip into their prodigious off-shore reserves and replace their 'institutional" investors (pensions, mutual fund, etc) in massive buy-backs. That is already underway to a large extent.

Correct, the Gates Foundation is the main funder for AGRA: the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa, which promotes corporate GMO high-chemical input industrial commodity ag to "save" Africa.

The Gates Foundation also has millions invested in the Monsanto corporation, at the same time that their "charitable" work promotes further development of GMO ag technologies in Africa.

The Blackwater connection is more tenuous, goes back to a Jeremy Scahill report from a few years back, Monsamto has contracted with a company called Total Intelligence for some "services" investigating and infiltrating movements against Monsanto.

EDIT: You can watchdog AGRA at the AGRA Watch blog, https://agrawatch.wordpress.com/