Home | About | Donate

Despite 'Meager Numbers,' Trump Administration Removes Gray Wolves From Endangered Species List

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/01/04/despite-meager-numbers-trump-administration-removes-gray-wolves-endangered-species

1 Like

"Through the chill of winter
Running across a frozen lake
Hunters are out on his trail
All odds are against him
With a family to provide for
The one thing he must keep alive
Will the wolf survive?

Driftin’ by the roadside
Climbs a storm and aging face
Wants to make some honest pay
Losing to the range war
He’s got two strong legs to guide him
Two strong arms keep him alive
Will the wolf survive?

Standing in the pouring rain
All alone in a world that’s changed
Running scared, now forced to hide
In a land where he once stood with pride
But he’ll find his way by the morning light

Sounds across the nation
Coming from your hearts and minds
Battered drums and old guitars
Singing songs of passion
It’s the truth that they all look for
Something they must keep alive
Will the wolf survive?
Will the wolf survive?"

• Los Lobos
2 Likes

Brother Wolf : A Forgotten Promise -
~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M14ALlZJlf8

1 Like

Donald Trump is a Sociopath, a Monster, and insane. My question is way so many American’s either can’t see that and/or are attracted to him because of it.

1 Like

January 20th cannot come soon enough!

2 Likes

Sociopaths, like Donald Trump, don’t care about wolves, endangered species, or the welfare of the Earth itself. In their fear, threatened by everything around them they only lust for power, power they think will protect them from the big buzzing confusion that surrounds their defective minds. No matter the face they present to the world, they cower deep inside themselves. Donald Trump and those who use him, admire him, follow him, are as defective as he himself. (See,The Culture of Narcissism, Christopher Lasch)

4 Likes

That this moral cretin has a lot of blood on his hands is an understatement. He just does not see we are all fellow travelers with equal rights to exist.

4 Likes

If it’s any consolation Damien, dump is on the “endangered” list himself now.
All those law suits just waiting for him.

1 Like

Back in the day, when I was working on local political campaigns with Richmond Progressive Alliance (RPA), a veteran campaigner asked me, out of curiosity, where my political consciousness comes from.

Personal and political have always gone together for me – I’m naive to the distinction, so when Mike asked me that, my mind went to what’s made the most difference to my personal make-up, no matter what I’m doing at the moment. Even as a youngster, looking into the eyes of any dog, I’ve always felt an electric connection, a fascination with interspecies communication which only grows stronger with age. The dog has always initiated the relationship between humans and dogs – that’s why puppies are so irresistible. They’ve taught humans not only that it’s possible to relate to other animals as individuals – they’ve also taught humans how to relate to other humans.

There’s a whole universe of interspecies communication dogs have shown me, all of Life on Earth constantly chattering back and forth, regardless of species distinctions. Off our bayshore this time of year, several relatively rare duck visitors routinely hang out with ducks which look sort-of similar. Close enough for waterfowl work, I guess. Quack quack…

Mike was surprised by my response. “I never heard anyone attribute radicalism to his pets,” he said. Well then, oh well: pets, I’m thinking. This person has no clue what I’m talking about. I could have been explaining it in Tagalog, for all the clarity I managed.

I think it’s possible to consider oneself – at a deep, emotional, even visceral level – a citizen of Life on Earth, a fellow critter, in touch with all the other critters. Wolves, from whose ranks a few get hungry and bold enough to experiment with human partnerships, becoming dogs, have been the most important gurus of humankind, reminding us of the meaning of being alive.

Incidentally, for North Americans – a lot of folks have never heard of our indigenous dog, called the Carolina dog. To my eye: possibly the most gorgeous of breeds, proximate to the primitive standard of a perfectly well-shaped, long-lived healthy dog we lovingly call the Pariah, or Pi dog.

~https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Dog

2 Likes

A very poignant and beautiful video.
Thankyou.

“The philosopher and the wolf” by Mark Rowlands. A great read.

1 Like

A risky association. I’ve known half-wolves, and they can be very difficult companions. Indisputably better-shaped, longer-lived, and way smarter than domestic couch potatoes like the crew around here, with not much to worry about besides when the foodbowl gets set back down on the floor.

Pi dogs, “primitive” or “junkyard” convergent re-evolution dogs, can also be difficult – like wolves on the edge of tameness. Not necessarily for people trying out their first dog, unless you really like a challenge. Every animal which passes through our household teaches us something. Our Pi dog stubbornly insists that we respect his spookiness. You don’t have to understand in order to give him some space.

3 Likes

Another kowtow to ranchers. And there is a great deal of info. out there regarding methodology related to living with wolves i.e. dogs, noise, fences, etc. so meat eaters can have their meat and wolves can have at least an iota of life.

I called the Fish and Wildlife Service to comment and the drone who answered the phone gave me a non functioning comment line number. The dysfunction of this administration knows no end.

2 Likes

That is exactly right! And goes for all that support and enable him, too.

1 Like

This is absolutely disgraceful. Biden MUST reverse this, ASAP.

1 Like