Home | About | Donate

Despite Pope's Call to Climate Action, Churches Hold Millions in Fossil Fuels

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Everyone always likes to point fingers and cry "hypocrite" at the Catholic Church, POTUS candidates, etc. But the article's title is not borne out by the content. The Churches, even in America, are divesting from fossil fuels. This is a new movement. Don't hold them to an old place.

The architecture of the Roma Catholic Church dating from the 15th century in both physical church design (as an entire lexicon of symbols) and the hand-in-glove lexicon of Doctrine of Discovery (married to monarchies) has been ripe for abreaction over the past century.

The irony to me is that the Catholic Church excluded from acceptance as spiritual human beings any peoples in "undiscovered lands" not being of Christiandom is today the Church that now holds the wellbeing of the entire planet hostage in its own ontological distortions.

The arts of the painted ceilings and architectural embellishments were narrative 'texts' for the illiterate. There have always been 'heretics' of the most divine sort appreciated only much later. The Earth Mother is a much, much older and implacable sister who far exceeds the church in capacity to align with, illustrate explain and present the Divine dictates.

So sad that after millennia, we're just beginning to regain the millennial aggregate wisdom lost when Wiccan and other sisters were burned at the stake. Shamans the world over struggle to protect the social integrity of life of similar ancestral wisdom - utterly opaque to the vast majority of us on the planet today - and scorned by far too many.

No power can do away with humility and love without ultimately destroying the earth beneath its feet.

The simple but unparalleled informative beauty of the creation as observed by William Blake

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

I was wondering if the church had fossil fuel investments.... how could they not?.... and the point about how the church takes tithing from the poor.... when it has all those riches.....especially all that gold and silver... which was purchased with ... what?... over the centuries.... and a good question is... does the church STILL purchase gold and silver.... therefore putting a demand on those metals... when we should not be mining for them any more AT ALL..... there I enough of the damn stuff above ground already.

A most interesting phenomenon of the last thirty years is the virtual disappearance of mainline Protestant Denominations as either part of the political discourse, or as a target of the discourse. I'm not talking about the emotionalists and fundamentalists. The Pope really does not control the finances of individual parishes and institutions around the world. Try asking the Vatican to repair the roof, or tuck point the local parish church and see how far you'll get. The Pope's leadership on these matters is critical, but he can't wave his hand and wipe out all investments in fossil fuel, what he can do, and what he is doing, is using his moral authority to call out all those damaging mother earth. There are some Catholic, although not as many as there are Protestant, plutocrats, but there are some, and they will use their influence to thwart the Pope or anyone else who threatens their fiefdoms. The United State of America is an overwhelmingly Protestant Country, but when it comes to matters such as this, one would never know it.

i'd add that, seeing as every aspect of extractive capitalism has biosphere destroying fossil fuels embedded in it the only non-hypocritical logic would be to divest in all forms of capitalism whether you're a church or an individual.

Don't confuse divestment with climate action. McKibben's divestment campaign is not climate action.
The Pope's condemnation of consumption by the rich, north and south is climate action. Join him.
Without a reduction in consumption -- caused by income redistribution from the wealthy to the poor and middle class -- we are doomed to increasing green house gas emissions.

"The irony to me is that the Catholic Church excluded from acceptance as spiritual human beings any peoples in "undiscovered lands" not being of Christiandom"

That's not ironic, it's practical. What better excuse to plunder than spreading the word of God? Under that auspice it was absolutely necessary for them to deal with the indigenous peoples as sub human. It's a variation of a theme that has been used throughout history. Ask the Native Americans.

So you actually believe that poor rural families in the developing world have large families because they think the Pope told them to of that they don't know what birth control devices are, or they have no access to birth control - or lack of "sex education"? That has not been the case for 50 years. To the extent that families in a subsistence-farming or pastoral economy (rural Africa, south Asia middle east, parts of Latin America) still have large families it is because it make rational economic sense in that environment - more hands in the fields and care for the elderly members.

Learn to see the white condescension toward the global-south in your remarks.

The Church teaches that for a perfect union to occur between man and woman, there must be no artificial barriers or interference. Artificiality inserted into the union is offensive in that it reduces the importance of the intent directed by God the Creator. Hence natural methods and abstention are approved of, whereas birth control is not.
I am not a Catholic but my mother was.

Till they're broke! How can they complain with their tickets to eternity in heaven?

completion of sentence = irony: "...is today the Church that now holds the wellbeing of the entire planet hostage in its own ontological distortions.

Give him time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I've been to plenty of Catholic Masses, and there is this part where the plates are passed round, and anyone who doesn't drop something in feels like a shit heel. Pretty strong peer pressure.

But then, the whole mass is peer pressure to conform, everyone else recites oaths and prayers, so if you don't go along, then, what kind of deviant are you?

Choreographed obedience, beneath an image of a man tortured to death. The whole thing is totalitarianism in its purest form.