Home | About | Donate

Detecting What Unravels Our Society – Bottom-up and Top-down

Detecting What Unravels Our Society – Bottom-up and Top-down

Ralph Nader

The unraveling of a society’s institutions, stability and reasonable order does not sound alarms to forewarn the citizenry, apart from economic yardsticks measuring poverty, jobs, wages, health, savings, profits and other matters economic.

However, we do have some signs that we should not allow ourselves to ignore. Maliciousness, profiteering and willful ignorance on the part of our political and corporate rulers undoubtedly contribute to worsening injustice. Let’s consider some ways that we as citizens, far too often, collectively allow this to happen.

Thoughtful and insightful comments that should be read nationwide but I don’t think the MSM is going to run these and many of the small/medium town papers nationwide should but I doubt they will. I’m afraid that the only ones who read his message are those who probably already agree with him and his thoughts although he might encourage us to do more and to be more aware of our predicament. Back when we had liberal arts in our colleges and universities, there was a spirit of listening to arguments from all sides and debating the merits. People today do not seem to want to listen to the other side or debate issues. We of course, are inundated by messages from the corpocracy, that distort things and waste valuable time. Ever dealt with paperwork from a health insurance company? People sign off on EULAs they never read or understand. We are in a hurry to no where.

“We are in a hurry to no where.” That my friend is a great statement, with a tremendous significance! We as a people are marching to their drumbeat, dancing to their music, reacting to every twitch of the puppeteers hand on the strings, blissfully unaware that we are approaching the edge of the bottomless pit.

Respected Mr. Nader,

We live in troubled times.

Those of us managing to cope with our daily selves may not have enough life left to devote a couple of crumbs of ourselves to a coherent thought, are probably on our keyboards. To take that to the next level, which I would describe as the realm of making a meaningful difference is entirely another matter.

Nothing we touch works for us. Despite being run out of two jobs I owe 6500 in taxes. The court systems are designed to favor the ruthless and the narcissistic. They threaten to throw you in jail and keep your children from you, and this is when you are trying to get a divorce. And although I have paid of 72k in community debt, I have put my jalopy as collateral to cover repairs for a house that I had to sell, as no responsibility was shared. Your professional and driver’s licenses are threatened at any sign of your getting an upper hand in a situation.

Going to a doctor ascertains calls from debt collectors. Getting a job in your fifties every few months is a crap shoot.

There are causes, your ability to speak, and then there are outright well funded bullies. If you are not seasoned in the political arena, you will be submerged in the current of loud slick and mud slinging verbosity. Even if you are well read, well rounded and well meaning, you may not have the staying power to stand up.

I have tried to engage some gun slinging materially secure thirty somethings. There lack of understanding of history and enamored state of mind over trump through selective right wind media makes them great walls of china to get through to.

When at every single step you are being beaten back, it is hard to muster the strength to move forward for yourself.
But to do it for public good? That is a far cry, Mr. Nader.

Very poignant comment! We just have to do what we can do. Each small act, each kind word counts.
It may well take a million tiny cuts to weaken this beast of cruelty, avarice, callousness, greed and corruption. All we have is each other. All we can do is all we can do.

The photo accompanying this article shows perfectly the root of our problems, and it’s not Trump. He is just the manifestation of the forces of greed, fear, hatred, Racism, Misogyny, and lack of empathy that has taken hold in this society, especially in the last 40 years.

The only thing that can ultimately defeat this mindset is love and respect for each other.

Ralph Nader is a national treasure. Unfortunately, he is a buried treasure.

Yes, they would like us to forget that we have thoughtful people with insight who can help lead us to better things. Their real fear is that we will start to listen, think and do something on our own.

“The US Government is a bird with two right wings, devoted to the perpetuation and expansion of corporate capitalism” - Lawrence Ferlinghetti

Politicians’ strategy is to make us believe our future is hopeless so we just give up…or vote for an anti candidate like Trump.

It isn’t the people who feel powerless who worry me so much. At least they are aware that there is a problem. It’s the ones who don’t…