Home | About | Donate

Detroit Schools Shuttered as Michigan Lawmakers 'Illegally' Withhold Teacher Pay

This situation with the schools in Detroit is obscene!
Teachers don't get paid a living wage to start with, and they have one of the toughest jobs in all of humanity, dealing with everyone else's bratty kids (OK, certainly not all of them all the time, but you who've got them know the real story!!) and yet the folks in "gubmint" choose to go there first to balance their budgets and avoid raising taxes on the rich.

Heads need to roll in Michigan.

What is the problem in this state? Is it that the huge concentration of militia's there are made up of folks to don't teach or know a teacher? When will they stand up to the oligarchy that's running that state and demand proper funding for schools?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Teachers aren't volunteers??? But.. but.. but wasn't there a politician somewhere in the Bible Belt who justified not paying teachers because they did what they did because they loved the kids? Do you mean to tell me that teachers actually have a life outside of the school, that they don't live at their desks? And where do you get the idea that the proletariat has the same rights as the upper class? Don't you know that your function is to take it in the ear so that plutocrats like Snyder and Rhodes can live the good life?

Gov. Snide-er strikes again. Guess gentrifying downtown Detroit and giving huge tax breaks to major hotel and restaurant chains to operate in downtown as well as to developers to construct high rise condos are far more important than paying teachers living wages and maintaining/repairing crumbling schools. Hey, the kids can always go to charter schools, can't they? (Can just hear Snide-er now). This is what cities and states get when they elect T-Baggers who spout "balance the budget" (on the backs of the citizens) that includes "austerity" measures and also direct funds to arm police like Robocops (including massive armored vehicles and military weaponry/gear) to quell the impoverished masses rising up against the austerity BS.

Cut off the salaries of Snide-er, his appointees throughout the state, and the T-Bag legislators in the Michigan state legislatures and you will have more than enough money to pay teachers for at least two decades or more.

The union needs to broaden support to include parents, students and business. One way might be to link the salary dispute with the deteriorating condition of the school buildings, class sizes too big, lack of sports facilities, too many overpaid people in the system who are not teaching anything at all, the water crisis in the city. The real problem is not merely teacher's salary, or just the education system but the political/social system itself. Any strike action in the public sector will fail without mass support and thus divide and conquer tactics will win. Teachers will be painted as having it easy with so many holidays compared to others who are out of work entirely. As long as the working class is divided within itself, the oligarchy can continue their neofeudalist takeover. Everyone has memories of good teachers, but also bad ones. The issue must be widened.

Michigan looks a lot like a Third World country, and that's saying a lot from a citizen of Louisiana. At least our major cities have clean water and so far, we can still pay public employees. We spend time in a Third World country every year and have seen what happens when "small" government provides few services and refuses to pay its own employees - poverty is the reality for the majority while the tiny few enjoy all the luxuries the world offers. Here in the USA we see time and again where conservative economic principles lead - Michigan, Indiana, Kansas, and yes, Louisiana - looking like the Third World while "blue" states prosper. Wake up, people, we are running out of time. Read Naomi Kline's The Shock Doctrine. We are on the cusp.

The proximal problem is governor Rick Snyder.

Louisiana? Not what I heard if you include public defenders who are constitutionally required and yet. . . .

I can't stop these lyrics from running around my brain:
"It's come to this,
and wasn't it a long way down,
wasn't it a strange way down?"
Judy Collins's voice
Leonard Cohen's word

I dont think they make a republican Governor that has any common sense hell a brain even....They are so stupid it defys all logic.......They go to the job an empty suit a puppet with strings attached...And begin to systematically destroy a state to prove a theological point and that yes they are really that stupid.

"The real problem is not merely teacher's salary, or just the education system but the political/social system itself". And, this is why your call for linkage "with the deteriorating condition of the school buildings, class sizes too big, lack of sports facilities, too many overpaid people in the system who are not teaching anything at all, the water crisis in [Flint, not "the city" if referring to Detroit]" is admirable, but unlikely to alter anything. Confronting all the circumstances you note prior to putting the Republican Governor and Republican majorities in both the upper and lower houses of the legislature, it would seem of the population of Michigan in respect to educating the children of Michigan, the attitude is, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn". Exhibited is yet another example American exceptionalism.

Considering the financial state of Kansas and Louisiana, the status of Flint and Detroit in Michigan, a bizarre Governor of Maine, my own state, which I will not name, which is confronting a huge budget deficit when Republicans inhabit every state executive office, including the governorship, and have a 2/3 majority in both legislative houses, when will the public realize the inherently flawed character of the trickle down policy of the Republican Party? And, not only the Republican Party, but of Hillary Clinton's "third way" as well, a policy which has left its creator, Tony Blair, a kind of globally wandering waif, with Labor Party members firmly turning their backs on his policies when electing Jeremy Corbyn to party leadership.