Home | About | Donate

DHS Is Locking Immigrants in Solitary Confinement

DHS Is Locking Immigrants in Solitary Confinement

Naureen Shah

In 2012, I visited the federal supermax prison ADX Florence in Colorado and spoke with men living in solitary confinement. I listened closely to their stories of anguish, but I could not understand how they survived it. They told me of the horror of being trapped in a small room, without access to fresh air or sunlight, for at least 22 hours a day—alone, afraid, and not knowing when it would end.

2 Likes

DHS and ICE and all those non- humanitarian agencies seem interested in power and rules and not in humanity. If you read world history it seems like this is the reincarnation of these Brownshirts----the American version. Jack London wrote a novel, IRONHEEL ( you can read it for free on Gutenberg) In his “coming society,” where the top echelons becomes even higher, and the Brownshirt types are the law–everybody else is the “other.” I like how he ended the novel----with no decision on where we are now… That was very clever of him for an ending----he’s leaving it all up to us. : )

4 Likes

“ICE repeatedly violated it’s own 2014 directive on solitary confinement.”
Let me be very clear, the only directive or action ICE should have towards solitary confinement is…DON’T DO IT!!

3 Likes

This is a symptom of a society with a very serious psychological disorder and a very hypocritical concept of morality. How did we as a society become so callous and cruel.?This is not “a few bad apples”. This is systemic and pervasive. It is beginning to look as
though many of our citizens actually look for excuses to be sadistic. Many more prefer
to look the other way, living under the illusion that America is a force for good.

Only a totally insane socio-economic system can be this intentionally cruel and unjust.
Empathy is out-of-fashion in America today. Compassion is not considered to be practical or desirable.

We are “exceptional”. Yes, I’m afraid that we are indeed.

3 Likes

I think the evolution of our prison system since about the 60’s till now is ample proof you’re correct about the callousness of the American people.

1 Like

And since the late Eighties, it’s become a “profit center” and an “investment opportunity”…No Competition. Little to no oversight. An endless supply of
human commodities. The U.S. of Anything for a buck.

2 Likes