Home | About | Donate

Did Jeb Bush just commit a War Crime in Justifying the Iraq War?

Did Jeb Bush just commit a War Crime in Justifying the Iraq War?

Juan Cole

Jeb Bush’s people are trying to walk back his disastrous interview with Megyn Kelly in which he said that even if he knew then what we all know now, he would have launched the war on Iraq in 2003.

No surprise. Jeb Bush is a follower, not a leader.

Jeb Bush represents the ugliest face of corporate America. He understands the necessity of the military industrial complex and its rewards for his family. He also appreciates imperialism and understands that without it, it is difficult to justify the trillion dollars we spend annually on the war machine. His disdain for the poor makes him even more attractive to Wall Street and his unwavering bigotry towards all people of color and limited financial means is expected in D.C.
Educated and aware Americans will never take this imbecile seriously... but that doesn't mean that he won't be the next president of the United States!

"Small men from small states routinely proclaim that the Unites States of America will go to war against whomever it pleases whenever it pleases without let or hindrance from those pesky international tribunals. In short, their speeches sound better in the original German. (The US has invaded 50 countries since 1945.)"

Boy, is the above allusion a perfect fit for what drives the ethos of Mars rules.

This is a terrific accounting, Mr. Cole. Granted, lifelong foes of Democrats will argue that the Dem. team lined up far too closely with the Bush Junta on this debacle and stain upon history. And the reason? It goes back to more than the small men... it ties in with that now gargantuan growth of the same Military-Industrial Complex that Eisenhower warned against.

And as to "it sounding better (or more convincing) in German: Indeed the massive infusion of Nazi "intelligence" into the covert U.S. "War department" essentially came down to planting bad seeds which now have harvested into policies of naked wars of aggression, a worship of uniformed soldiers, a focus on force first--rather than the rule of law, obscene investments in armaments, enhanced militarization of domestic police departments, an armed border fence (Hello, Berlin!), and an American-version of the omnipresent Stasi. And they call it freedom! Democracy! And National Defense with plenty of religious zealots onboard to affirm that centuries-old fake claim that all this carnage is God's Will!

Also, Mr. Cole... it's clear that Obama is marching to the same Mars-ruled drumbeat. What's been said of Bush and company could be said of Obama for the covert war in Yemen, Syria, redux Iraq, and of course... the ongoing drone wars mostly aimed at Afghanistan and Pakistan's border. So far.

Just as the corporations and DC politicians systematically decriminalized financial fraud during the past 35 plus years, they also decriminalized what we formerly recognized as war crimes. The answer to Cole's question is therefore an unequivocal NO.

Concurrent with decriminalizing the crimes committed by corporations and the politicians they own, actions essential to a functioning democracy such as whistle blowing have become crimes.

Truly, a family of scholars and statesmen.

Yes, and jeb bush is a member of a family that thinks nothing of invading countries and killing innocent civilians as a result. He was also heavily involved in the Savings & Loan disaster of the 80's which led to the financial collapse of 2008 which the Clinton's and gGeorge W. Bush made appear to be child's play.

No doubt he is his brother's brother, but while we're talking war criminals, let's not forget others, all of whom had, or have, dreams of being President: Authorizing his brother to start this disaster were a Democratic Senate and a Democratic House. Voting for war and hoping to be President were: John Kerry, John Edwards, Dick Gephardt, Tom Daschle, Hillary Clinton, Rod Blagojvich, Joe Biden and Joe Lieberman. Also voting for the Iraq war were Harry Ried and Chuck Shumer.

The entire clan is a war crime.

Wait, who is the dumb Bush again?

My research on JEB leads me to believe he is a shallow and thoughtless man. Wouldn't expect too much from the guy who was the Go-To for weed when he was at his EXCLUSIVE boarding school. A man so incurious that he married the first woman he dated.

One of those who did get to know Bush in these early days was Peter Tibbetts. The connection, he said, was pot. The first time Tibbetts smoked marijuana, he said, was with Bush and a few other classmates in the woods near Pemberton Cottage. Then, a few weeks later, Tibbetts said he smoked hashish — a cannabis product typically stronger than pot — in Jeb’s dormitory room.

“The first time I really got stoned was in Jeb’s room,” Tibbetts said. “He had a portable stereo with removable speakers. He put on Steppenwolf for me.” As the rock group’s signature song, Magic Carpet Ride, blared from the speakers, Tibbetts said he smoked hash with Bush. He said he once bought hashish from Bush but stressed, in a follow-up e-mail, “Please bear in mind that I was seeking the hash, it wasn’t as if he was a dealer; though he did suggest I take up cigarettes so that I could hold my hits better, after that 1st joint.”

Get used to it. This is what the collapse of an empire looks like and it is going to continue for decades more unless we do something to stop it. it's all about energy and until we/you quit demanding so much this self destructive behavior will continue.

We must respect the right to advocate policies we disagree with, even horrible policies.

Any standard which claims to make that a crime convicts itself of disrespect for fundamental human rights.