Home | About | Donate

Did Koch Brothers Just Doom America to a Future of Crumbling Roads and Tunnels?

Did Koch Brothers Just Doom America to a Future of Crumbling Roads and Tunnels?

It was never going to be easy for the Republican-controlled Congress to pass an increase to the federal gas tax—a tax that finances the Highway Trust Fund and pays for roads and bridges around the country. Last raised in 1993 to 18.4 cents per gallon, the tax has since lost much of its value, especially with the rise of fuel-efficient cars. With the Highway Trust Fund running huge annual deficits, plans for many infrastructure projects and repairs have been left hanging out to dry.

I don't get it -- the Koch Bros don't want a tax increase on anything and yet they are willing to part with 'some' of their billions to get their lackeys elected so they can vote down any tax increase. It seems to me they are probably paying more to fight these things than they would if they just let them happen.

You are either naïve, not informed on this subject, or providing an apologia for the Koch Brothers. I don't have the statistics on hand but the type of funding that Big Banks, Big Corporations, and Pro-Business Libertarian entities like the Koch Brothers routinely fund pay back extremely high dividends. In other words, these investments pay off TREMENDOUSLY. That's why they fund them.