Home | About | Donate

Did the Marquis de Sade Write This Health Care Bill?

Did the Marquis de Sade Write This Health Care Bill?

RoseAnn DeMoro

Even the great Stephen King might find this story implausible.

Republican leaders in the House and White House wanted to implement a massive tax cut for the wealthiest Americans (the health care bill passed Thursday) as a prelude to adopting a second massive tax cut for the wealthiest Americans and big corporations (the tax bill that’s next on their agenda).

It was neither the "Marquis" or the "Republicans" the best Congress money can buy wrote this bill.

While all of the criticisms of the ACHA are legitimate, leaving out the Dems role in creating this horror is politically hypocritical and counter-productive in terms of building a movement for Single Payer and/or an actual public health care system.

First, the ACHA (TrumpCare) is based on the ACA (OBCare). It is not designed to remove it, but to "reform" it. It retains many ACA features including the massively expensive insurance exchanges and using a complex system of tax credits to get reimbursed for the inflated costs of health insurance.

Second, by creating OBCare, the Dems side-tracked the struggle for universal health insurance for decades, if not for generations. The will now fall back on "saving" what's left of the ACA again and again, portraying that monstrosity as a good thing and a "step" toward single payer or something similar.

What we have here folks is yet another internal Duopoly spat while they jockey to keep their slave positions in the Congressional-Financial-Military complex that we euphemistically refer to as "government."

We should remember that they voted UNANIMOUSLY to protect their own health insurance. Every present Congress Critter in both wings of the Duopoly. And those of us who also supported Bernie need to remember that while Bernie continues to claim he supports Single Payer, he still refuses to introduce it in the Senate when it is absolutely critical to get a strong bill out there. What kind of back room machinations are being "negotiated" to water down Medicare for All before it sees the light of day?

As for me, I'm going to have a drink, play some ball and work my garden. At least I know those are good for my health, even if -like most of you - I can't afford to use the "health care system."

And I have Medicare, which is still essentially an 80-20 plan with co-pays and deductibles. (Also it does not cover eyes and teeth in many/most cases. Who needs to see or chew anyway?) I hope the tomatoes come in.

I have begun to think that many in Congress today just aren't very bright.

This will Make America Great, by killing nearly as many people as the constant wars the PTB have encouraged Trump to continue and expand.

The inequality bred by capitalism leaves our "leaders" totally out of touch with the lives, deaths and pain of all of the rest of us. Only their own profit motivates them.

This evil system must end, and we the people must learn to organize on every level to give birth to a new equal humanity.

So was the news that Bernie Sanders was going to introduce a singer-payer health care plan in the Senate just a lie?

According to Nader, yes. Whatever you think of Nader, he usually gets his facts right.

Don't knock the Marquis de Sade who could write this Sanders-like

"Everywhere I could reduce men into two classes both equally pitiable; in the one the rich who was the slave of his pleasures; in the other the unhappy victims of fortune; and I never found in the former the desire to be better or in the latter the possibility of becoming so, as though both classes were working for their common misery...; I saw the rich continually increasing the chains of the poor, while doubling his own luxury, while the poor, insulted and despised by the other, did not even receive the encouragement necessary to bear his burden. I demanded equality and was told it was utopian; but I soon saw those who denied its possibility were those who would loose by it..."

On theft, de Sade wrote that the oath taken by the nation with respect to the law of property is ridiculous, perhaps we should read in the context of today's banksters: > ‘How can you expect the man who has nothing to honour a law which protects the man who has everything? It is his duty, surely, to attempt to redress the balance!’ Property is itself theft, he says. The thief proposes a law to punish theft against himself, the original thief, and expects those with no other recourse than theft to respect such a law! Laws against theft are therefore absurd.’

On leadership, de Sade had this to say:> ‘you can only govern men by deceiving them; one must be hypocritical to deceive them; the enlightened man will never let himself be led, therefore it is necessary to deprive him of enlightenment to lead him as we want ...’ Elsewhere, he says ‘Politics, which teach men to deceive their equals without being deceived themselves, that science born of falseness and ambition, which the statesman calls a virtue, the social man a duty, and the honest man a vice ...’

Words very appropriate to the Trump, Republicans and the Democrats.

De Sade also condemned war, which he said sent the wrong message to those abroad whom we would wish likewise to follow our example and liberate themselves. It is not our job to make war on them, but to show them through our peaceful example what a free republic can and ought to be. He claimed war is simply public and authorised murder, in which hired men slaughter one another in the interests of tyrants: 'The sword is the weapon of him who is in the wrong, the commonest resource of ignorance and stupidity.'

de Sade was no supporter of capital punishment. He wrote: ‘The state publicly honours those proficient in murder and encourages them. Yet it punishes the man who disposes of his enemy for a personal reason!’ As for the death penalty, he writes: ‘Either murder is a crime, or it is not. If it is not, why punish it? If it is, then by what perverse logic do you punish it by the same crime?’ It also is tantamount to bad arithmetic, since ‘now two people are dead instead of one!’

De Sade thought the greatest causes of misery were four things; private property, class distinctions, religion and family life. In the future societies, he wrote of these institutions being abolished or transformed. In one section of Aline and Valcour, a brutal African kingdom is contrasted with the Pacific island utopian paradise of Tarnoé. He describes an imaginary island where all priests were banished, there were no temples and no vested interest in religion. There were also no professional lawyers and discussion of theology or law was punished as one of the gravest anti-social crimes. There was also no money.

Wherever you look in the world today you will find a parasitical minority suffering an embarrassment of riches while the toiling masses endure real and unnecessary pain as very much part of their everyday lives. The Marquis de Sade would find many examples of this obscenity in today’s class divided society.

De Sade ought be remembered far more for raising important social questions than raising erections through his masturbatory sexual fantasies.

Let's hope that everyone affected gets out and votes for Bernie style (populist) candidates

or incredibly mean and cruel.

Cool! Thank you! :frowning:️ I never read him.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE always include that they exempted themselves from this new terrible plan! They still keep their excellent health coverage under Obamacare rules about the very things they deny constituents.
Many people don't know this, amazingly. It needs to be mentioned every time, this new plan isn't good enough for THEM...just everyone else.

this is such a potent observation and what always happens when one odious bill collides with an even more odious bill. the difference between the two is what empirically winds up being fought over and in the process, this difference winds up characterizing "the difference between the parties".

this is exactly what's going to happen. it already is, as you can see with the pre-existing condition struggle that will surely be the centerpiece of legislative battles for years.

When the destruction is eventually picked over by whatever historians we might have left, it's going to be hard not to conclude that the most dangerous force of this era was the Democratic party. The lack of any authentic opposition to the ambitions of the corporate state has utterly destroyed us.

Then I would like to see it showing up. The Politico article was from a month and a half ago. Then again maybe more thought will go into this than the Republican monstrosity.

Exactly!

Thanks for this thoughtful response. People so often misuse literature and/or experience and/or history and/or science w/o actually knowing what they are talking about. Thoughtful expression does not fit into a tweet. I find it especially interesting that de Sade cites family as one of the origins of misery.

Correction: every Congress Critter in the House voted to protect their insurance from ACHA. The Senate hasn't voted yet.

Does mean, cruel and dumb cover it? Also greedy, insensitive to the point of psycho and sociopathy and just plain jerks. Hey, but all the men wear suits and ties and the women wear pants suits and designer clothes. And they run with the L.A. crowds. Real representatives of the people this bunch.