Home | About | Donate

Diego Maradona (1960-2020): Some Bittersweet Reflections

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/11/28/diego-maradona-1960-2020-some-bittersweet-reflections

1 Like

My recollection of Maradona comes from the 1986 World Cup held in Mexico. My house mate Scott and I found a bar in Buffalo, NY that had like closed circuit television or something and carried games. Back then, soccer was not popular at all in US. Then while doing graduate research in Germany I watched the final (Argentina vs. West Germany) with my German friend at a bar near the University of Frankfurt. International students took to the streets and windows of their dorm rooms waving flags and banging pots and pans when Argentina won 3-2 on a Jorge Burruchaga goal assisted by Diego. My friend was bummed, but it was amazing to experience the huge emotional reactions in a country that appreciates the world’s most popular sport.

Though Maradona had lots of personal problems, cool to learn that Maradona never lost touch with his roots in the poor and working classes, with a politics to match.

1 Like