Home | About | Donate

Dignity, Democracy and Food: An Interview with Frances Moore Lappè

Dignity, Democracy and Food: An Interview with Frances Moore Lappè

Christopher D. Cook

Frances Moore Lappè’s iconic Diet for a Small Planet has helped awaken millions of people to the connections between our diets, our bodies, and the fate of the planet. Since its publication in 1971, a rich array of food-related movements has risen up, taking on everything from nutrition and health, to farmer and farmworker justice, to world hunger and climate crisis.

I had read that 90% of the food fed to slaughterhouses-bound animals was wasted, but this author puts that percentage at 97%. Cattle belonging to rich people are eating the food that poor people need. And if the poor people eat meat, they are getting 3% of the calories that the animal got. Vegetarians get 100% of the calories of the food they buy because that food isn't run through an animal first. A veggie burger tastes better than a dead body burger and doesn't waste 97% of the crops required to make it. It's time for the progressive community to at least switch from dead animal burgers to veggie burgers and to do the same with hotdogs. The veggie burgers and dogs are much better tasting, don't clog arteries, avoid animal cruelty and are good for the environment. Making the switch is a no-brainer. And veggie chicken is delicious.

this said it all for me

And explain to people how completely wasteful and destructive our grain-fed meat centered diet is, that of all the feed calories we are giving to beef, they return three percent—three percent of those feed calories!—in the flesh that we eat. We now know what is healthy foodAnd explain to people how completely wasteful and destructive our grain-fed meat centered diet is, that of all the feed calories we are giving to beef, they return three percent—three percent of those feed calories!—in the flesh that we eat. We now know what is healthy food, and our tax dollars are going to what’s making us sick and destroying , and our tax dollars are going to what’s making us sick and destroying our health

I see meat demand worldwide rising as others adopt the American diet. McDonalds, Wendys, and KFC are opening new franchises everywhere. I watch neighbors all firing up their grills and from the smell it ain't vegtables cooking. I see little to give me a more optimistic outlook for our future. Our meat addiction is the single greatest source of global warming gases and nobody is talking about it. People are suffering from numerous illnesses as a direct result of meat consumption and seldom is it mentioned that if they switched to a plant based diet they would see major improvement. My hope is that the Pope shines more of a light on how much resources are wasted raising meat and how badly animals suffer in factory farms when he visits the U.S. to discuss climate change in more depth.