Home | About | Donate

Dirty Air and Water Is Killing Us

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/12/31/dirty-air-and-water-killing-us

2 Likes

I use to live near JPL in CA and drank the local tap water, Then NASA said that the water needed to be cleansed of Jet fuel-------I have no idea how they do that, but supposedly it was cleaned. I lived through several local forest fires and driving in the unbelievable traffic and gridlock of Los Angeles. I seems like I am allergic to a lot of things now—like bad air and I am wondering since so much of the water in the US is polluted—I wondered about where medicines were produced in America. Did they too have polluted water in the medicines?
I called the company which makes an over the counter allergy product—and asked, The person hung upon me-----so I figured their stuff was probably polluted, either that or they had really stupid people answering their phones. Sometimes no answer can be a really good answer.
I don’t suppose that many life - long residents can escape New Orleans without having some peculiar disease affecting them.I also wonder about wars and chemicals used where supposedly no one is supposed to use. So----is there a scientist here that can answer one question—when depleted uranium was released in Iraq-------how long does depleted uranium take to migrate to other nations? Knowing that might be able to help a world of people!

1 Like

Who in the bloody **** wrote the headline to this article?
A journalist or someone plucked from the street? Here’s your test: air and water IS or ARE killing us? If you can’t answer “are,” then you have no business writing anything for public consumption.

1 Like

What keeps slapping some of us in the face, repeatedly; is media’s propensity to winnow-out their incessant “death of despair,” opioid abuse and obesity, smoking, exercise, junk-food lectures from any correlation/ causation dichotomy? It’s not entirely piss-poor impulse control on our part? We’re all gavaged GE monoculture CAFO, somatotropin, anti biotic fed crap, irrigated with radium flavored fracking brine so they’ll get our equity when we miss payments, due to ER bills from undiagnosed chronic or terminal disease. Clever, huh? Ever have your doctor (or TV) mention herbicide dessication of cereals, legumes & tubers, or irrigation with fracking brine?

Never FEAR, our betters will save us, from ourselves…

I’ve lived in Pasadena 4 years and other parts of LA for another 15 years. Drank water run through various filters and have breathed a lot of crappy air. If I wasn’t constrained by job and the dad of my stepson being here, we would have moved. I’ve never understood why everyone isn’t on the same page when it comes to air pollution (not CO2) and water pollution. The CO2 problem is quite a bit harder, but we could have had air that is 10-20x better that we have starting many decades ago.

1 Like

Hi Bell_Tarsi:
Hmmm William and Kate offer prize to “repair the Earth.” Hmmm, maybe they should first:
Tell the UK to return the GOLD that they stole from Venezuela. You can repair the Earth more quickly by repairing your theft and helping the PEOPLE of Venezuela!
Of course, this smells like a popularity test to make them appear to be more human…it’s difficult to fake being genuine…oh well.

1 Like

Hi dara:
When the air coming over the mountains from San Bernardino looked either like a fire cloud or the worst possible breathable air-----I did begin to freak out–actually my nose and lungs were complaining. I did have to move. Living with a forest of the Ents makes me a much happier person—although the wise ass part of me has remained in tact. : )

1 Like

The article in the Progressive either was always correct or has been corrected, but the link has the error: https://progressive.org/dispatches/dirty-air-and-water-is-killing-us-chen-191230/. Not sure if someone at CD copied the title from the link or if the error was introduced some other way.

1 Like

I’m a teeny bit suspicious, that all is prelude to the cynical: “We’ll make the planet better, the victims stronger… we have the technology,” type of offer we cannot refuse? Our betters just terrorized bigot ‘baggers… then the yuppies, with mirror images of the same protection scheme (heck, just Comcast pulled both Kenyan Anti-Christ AND RussiaRussiaRussia in under a decade!) Now, apparently, they’ve found’ em a Cliff’s Notes version of Naomi Klein or a George Miller version of “Idiocracy” but nuance & irony ain’t their forte’ so Bloomburg, Gates, Bezos, et al. are just the tip of the clathrate iceburg?

1 Like

Thanks, dara. I know this issue might be petty, all things considered, but I’m very sick of the bad inaccurate grammar I see and hear all over the place. Journalists, pundits and teachers are people who should friggin’ know better, but apparently they do not. When I get fed up, I call them out.
My dad was a journalism and English teacher who didn’t let us kids get away with any mistakes in writing or speaking. All my kids turned out to be grammar freaks, too. Somehow, proper English should count for something somewhere, no? However, on our current list of wrongs to get upset about, I suppose this is 99th out of 100.

1 Like

I remember, the first time I’d worked at the old Kaiser Steel mill in Fontana (right as Terminator II was shot at CSI), we’d drive up Sierra & pick our way up the fire roads of the National “Forest” twice a week, to breathe above the sickening haze. It was really scary to find a place more obviously lethal than Pittsburgh after the mills shut down. Now, we’re going to face scores, then hundreds, then thousands of leaky ethane wells, crackers and collection systems… with ever more blowouts like Exxon’s Ohio well. Both parties selling geoengineering!

The unpalatable alternative is to “go with the flow”, as in:

Headline:
“Dirty Air and Water Is Killing Us”

Comment:
“Yes, they is !!

:slight_smile:
:grin:

1 Like

Ha! Thanks for the wry giggle. My dad would’ve loved your comment!

1 Like

Hi Bell_Tarsi:
I’m not sure if Bloomberg, Gates, or Bezos will be the tip of any iceberg----as icebergs appear to be melting faster than Congress can cut tax rates for the corporations and the rich. : (

1 Like