Home | About | Donate

Disapproval of Trump Covid-19 Response Soars to 60% as US Shatters Single-Day Record With 75,600 New Infections

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/17/disapproval-trump-covid-19-response-soars-60-us-shatters-single-day-record-75600-new

4 Likes

I am sure the count of new cases will plummet in the next few months as the Administration adopts the “we do not do body counts” mantra from General Tommy Franks.

7 Likes

A very interesting way of dealing with a crisis, hide the numbers and lie about it.

5 Likes

It is truly frightening to know that 38% still approve of Trump’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic. Those 38% would support Trump no matter what monstrous things he does. All that tells me is that 38% of US citizens are sociopathic monsters. The future of the US is unimaginably dystopian now.

12 Likes

Republicans, in general, don’t like government, governance, or governing. This pretty much dates from the era of Saint Ronnie. Republicans also, essentially, set up for failure every time they’re in charge.Tax breaks for the rich and corporations, military (lobbyists) build ups, and neglecting the young, old, middle class, and working poor. I have relatives who are hard core right-wingers, and they have fully ingested Trump’s potion. They love everything he’s doing(so much for “the Blacks”, building the wall. etc.) while I am having history class flashbacks of the days of Adolf and Benito.

6 Likes

In the meantime (great news!!!---- lol) today:

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said the US will one day “get back to normal.”

“We feel cautiously optimistic that we are on the road — as bleak as it may sound right now — that we’re on the road of getting this under control,” Fauci said during a US Chamber of Commerce virtual event on Friday.

“We will ultimately get back to normal,” he added.

How is that going to happen? I want what he is smoking!

Except that “normal” is NOT ok:

Laptev Sea (near Siberia) is on its way toward melting out this summer.
h-ttps://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/1283905524094742528

The titanic analogies keep coming including this one I came across the other day:

Living in America right now is like the pause on the Titanic between cracking in half and plummeting to the ocean floor. There’s nothing left to do but tread water, witness the carnage and make enough noise to keep the sharks away

thanks for your response on the other thread. It helps to know we’re not alone in our feelings of about ------

and not knowing what to do . . .

7 Likes

Absolutely concur!

The Russian mafia may not have influenced the election such that it swayed the win in his favor but he is certainly Putin’s stooge. Just have to throw that out there. He clearly will do anything to please Putin. He is known to pal around with pedophiles; he has been photographed with madams and prostitutes (to this day); he has been accused of sexual assault and rape by countless women and one child under the age of 14; he is a serial adulterer. If he’s talking, he’s lying. Putin has both audio and video on this dude…the president of the United States. Film at eleven. (We are in mortal danger)

1 Like

I could not help but note the interview by CNN of one Hogan Gidley regarding the extending of the border closure to Canada wherein Gidley stated no one in the USA really had any reason to go to Canada as they already lived in “The greatest Country in the world”.

The person doing the interview responded “Maybe they want to escape COVID”.

That got a chuckle.

I also watched an interview with a member of the State Republican party in Florida who claimed Florida in a great place and the Governor was doing a great job handling the crisis. Say what? He claimed the high number of cases being reported from Florida a “distortion” because Florida has lots of people.

Another pointed out that Canada only had 4 people per square mile as opposed to around 40 in the USA suggesting this the reason for the discrepancy. He failed to note that 90 percent of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border meaning in areas affected there in fact a higher density of people in Canada.

There a disconnect from reality going on here.

2 Likes

Well, he promised we’d get TIRED of always winning? His ravening hordes figure they can kill us by mouthbreathing!

~http://91-divoc.com/updates/2020-07-15.gif

~https://www.propublica.org/article/hospitals-are-suddenly-short-of-young-doctors-because-of-trumps-visa-ban

1 Like

Wow, what an image. Something tells me that we don’t even get to wear life jackets since treading water implies we don’t. It’s time for me to crack a Dogfish 90 Minute IPA to go along with my cannabis tincture while listening to Jerry Jeff Walker to maintain some sense of sanity. Bottoms up.

2 Likes

That is the American way.

3 Likes

It’s evidently still difficult for some to believe that DT is NOT interested in the fact that he failed.

He never intended to succeed (except to get richer).

“We want the truth (maybe).”
“We can’t handle the truth.”

What response?

2 Likes

Murkin sepshunalizm ?

2 Likes

Given how far below bottom-feeding we’ve been taken, Biden now looks like FDR.

1 Like

When cholera hit New York City in the 19th century people hung sides of beef in the air and burned barrels of tar. Nothing worked. Philadelphia had set up a clean water supply for itself around the turn of the 18th century, so they were all set and nobody at all got sick.

Soon the rest of us are going to discover the tools that all the intelligent countries and the intelligent states have already used effectively. New Zealand has had zero new cases of covid-19 for a long time now.

• Even cheap masks help, although we’re about to reinvent the mask and the face shield.
  • Get after every last person who goes around exercising his freedom to be Typhoid Mary. Generate social pressure. Sometimes we’ll have to fine people.
  • Test and trace works if somebody bothers to adequately fund the process.
  • This time, go out and buy adequate supplies.

In addition, we’re going to discover the medical research that other countries, starting with China, have already performed for our benefit.

Doctors have already linked vitamin D deficiency with covid-19. They just weren’t American doctors, most of them, nor were they Pharma companies out to make a billion bucks on some drug patent for a drug that you probably can’t afford. Wouldn’t it be a hoot if those rather cheap pill bottles over at the Whole Foods Market moved the coronavirus needle?

• If you’re older then you probably don’t make enough natural vitamin D and you’re also more likely to catch the virus.
  • If you have a darker skin tone then you probably don’t make enough natural vitamin D and you’re also more likely to catch the virus.
  • If you’re quite obese, same deal.

On the hot list are vitamin D first and foremost, then vitamin C, zinc and green tea. No prescription needed, and they can’t hurt in small amounts.

4 Likes

Your quotation is nearly a direct allusion to Quint’s classic Indianapolis Soliloquy from Jaws:

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don’t know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin’, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson’s mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he’d been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

~https://neilchughes.com/2013/03/10/the-indianapolis-speech-by-robert-shaw-in-jaws-1975/

The great Robert Shaw, in arguably the role of his life, chewing up the nautical scenery.

Whence the metaphors and parallels just keep multiplying. I’m thinking Steve Reich could take Williams’ shark theme up an octave or two with variations to produce the definitive COVID music-track!

1 Like

Too bad Steven Spielberg is not as liberal as he seems(he created Jaws).