Home | About | Donate

'Disgraceful and Enraging': Supreme Court Halts Youth Climate Case After Last-Ditch Trump Effort to Kill Suit

'Disgraceful and Enraging': Supreme Court Halts Youth Climate Case After Last-Ditch Trump Effort to Kill Suit

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

In a move author and activist Naomi Klein denounced as "disgraceful and enraging," the U.S. Supreme Court has halted a lawsuit brought by 21 American children and young adults that aims to hold the federal government accountable for its ongoing failure to adequately curb greenhouse gas emissions to battle global climate crisis.

1 Like

THEIR kids only have 12 years also.

6 Likes

Pause button. Chief Justice alone. Hold our rage until Wednesday and a chance for the other justices to chime in.

2 Likes

Justices Scalia ®, Roberts ®, Thomas ®, Alito ®, Kennedy ®, Kavanaugh ®, always vote along partisan lines - always. We don’t need to wait.

4 Likes

Does Jeff Wood say children have no right to life?

2 Likes

Well that means you’re just going to have to stop having children.

1 Like

Actually, Roberts has shown himself occasionally an actual jurist. And Scalia is dead, ICYMI. At the very least, when the full SCOTUS considers the matter, the others will have their chance to speak. It’s a stay looking for more filing. Watch this space and do not despair.

The Supremes have lost their objectivity.

Send them a message from the People.

1 Like

I’m tired of conceding anything at all to the anti american right wing; republicans have blocked hundreds of appointments by democrats in the past 20 years or so, halted every single bit of legislation possible, used every dirty trick imaginable and quite a few unimaginable and every time someone says the slightest thing critical 800,000 democrats leap to their immediate defense. Let it go. The Roberts court gave us citizens united, Bolivia has fairer elections than us, I for one am pissed off. is that okay?

8 Likes

It’s better to be pissed off, than pissed on.

Oh, wait a minute, the Supremes just collectively pissed on humanity, and sent a strong message to our children.

"Entitled Elites Will Decide What’s Best For Us."

5 Likes

That’s what mystifies me. We’re all on the Same Planet.

The 1% are Gonna Fry Too

5 Likes

I’m the psychic chicken too!!! Upon reading the article, I thought "this article will have a patronizing “hold your horses” type comment by bkswrites.

Surprise surprise.

To those who are outraged by this, you are on the right track. 100% on the right track.

5 Likes

So… the stench of Kavanaugh begins. Trumpo the Klown and Turtle Boy McConnell must be very pleased. I understand that Brett the Molester has already shown his appalling aggressiveness and lack of decorum by interrupting lawyers before the Court and even his fellow judges. Now there is a solid 5-4 regressive majority to unravel much of the progress as we have managed since FDR. A very sad day for what used to be our “highest court”.

4 Likes

My vote and ongoing efforts to convince people to stop voting against their interests was/is for our kids and all the species of Mother Earth, including the poor, elderly, disabled. I am going to copy this article and include it with the others that show how the GOP and corporate democrats are screwing us along with a vote Nov. 6 brochure.

3 Likes

Maybe they see the bunkers they are building underground and the space ships as their ticket to survival. Madness. Anything for a monetary profit.

2 Likes

From Truthdig:

1 Like

Can’t you come up with something more logical than your same old tired rant of “stop having children”? Do you really think that people meaning the majority of the world’s population are going to stop having children simply because YOU believe that is the solution to our ills? Let me be the first to inform you. IT AIN’T GONNA HAPPEN BUBBA!!! I mean really, if you are going to make suggestions at least make some that at least some people other than yourself will get behind. Btw, do you have any offspring? You know, even IF the entire world’s population were to back your suggestion there are still those boring long winter nights when people like to consume a few belly warming drinks and cuddle close to one another, you know to keep nice and toasty and one day a few weeks later whoops! A positive pregnancy test. Trying to convince people to stop having children is about as realistic as trying to convince them to stop breathing to reduce their carbon footprint.

1 Like

“Supreme Court” my ass. It should be renamed to the “Surpeme Fuck Over”,

1 Like

We need to convene a constitutional congress and change the makeup of the SCOTUS. An equal number of justices from the left and right. If there were eight justices any rulings must have at least a 5-3 vote or some other remedy. Five or ten year appointments instead of lifetime. And the required prep must be signed off on before being considered so some dolt doesn’t squeeze onto the bench.

2 Likes

What a message to send to the kids. They are so busy ironing their ugly robes. We need to remember Susan Collin in 2020.

1 Like