Home | About | Donate

'Disillusioned Words Like Bullets Bark': Folk Great Bob Dylan Awarded Nobel Prize for Literature

'Disillusioned Words Like Bullets Bark': Folk Great Bob Dylan Awarded Nobel Prize for Literature

Jon Queally, staff writer

Bob Dylan, the folk music icon who first rose to fame amid the struggle for civil rights and against the Vietnam War in the 1960s, was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature on Thursday for his transformative impact on culture and "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition."

Finally a common sense award.
Dylan told us all 50 years ago that "A Hard Rains Gonna Fall."

Must have been a slow year... Bob Zimmerman is a known plagiarist and a Zionist to boot. I can think of hundreds of writers more worthy of the honor. Maybe Obama can give him the award in the white house.

You and Juba never 'got' Dylan did you?

Damn straight... I never did get his ugly tribal Zionism, nor his life-long plagiarism. Also, probably most importantly with Dylan worship, I'm not a nostalgia-blind baby-boomer.

This anti-semitic crap is pathetic.

Dylan got his award for the whole body of his work, which is astounding, life-affirming, often profound, and helped ignite a generation in a struggle against racism and war.

His Nobel Prize is surely more deserved a thousand-fold than the "Peace" Prize awarded to President Obama, who should have at least the shred of decency to return it as something he didn't measure up to.

Dave Lindorff

Like him or not, Dylan was the voice of a generation. His music was heard everywhere and in every college dorm. He was the voice of the angry youth that woke up to the fact the war was wrong and our "leaders" corrupt.
A well deserved award. Certainly more deserved that Obama's peace prize.

Yeah, I must just be one of those "pussies and wussies" Dylan mentioned when confronted with his blatant plagiarism. It's documented and a slap in the face to any real writer. Students get thrown out of universities for this.

The man even had the gall to sue Hootie and the Blowfish because they name checked him and quoted a line from one of his songs--a homage--which is more than he ever did. He stole passages from his book Chronicles wholesale from Time magazine for Christ's sake, and didn't attribute it, but had the balls to sue others for much, much less.

Yeah, this is a man who deserves to be honored. Then again, in today's world, it's par for the course.

As far as being anti-Semitic goes, please try again, harder. If being an anti-Zionist makes one anti-Semitic, I guess I'm guilty as charged.

You may not be a "nostalgia-blind baby-boomer," but you sure are blind.

Great song lyrics deserve recognition as great poetry. The Nobel committee has matured to the point that it can accept the Folk style of Dylan that was popular a half-century ago, "the answer is blowing in the wind." Hopefully in the near future they will consider Rap lyrics and Street poetry for awards. Some of the best Robert Burns poems are songs. Beautiful words.......

Another Dylan fan here.

Maybe not a perfect human being, are any of us??? but a noteworthy and unique singer/song writer.

To the above - simply this:

Bob (Zimmerman) Dylan: the most overrated hack of the 20th century. Paul McCartney deserves greater praise.

Is that supposed to be evidence of poetic genius? The guy is a has-been HACK.

Bob Dylan is a hack. I saw him in concert, he nearly got booed off the stage.

Where did you see him in concert and when?

I'm stunned that the Nobel would go to somebody that I'd pay money to hear.

It's too bad that he died so long ago. Nobel Prizes are supposed to go to living people.

Now seriously, I just wrote a song, and it's designed to be appended to "All Along the Watchtower."

Masters of War......

Come you masters of war
You that build all the guns
You that build the death planes
You that build the big bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks

http://bobdylan.com/songs/masters-war-mono/

The Nobel committee just trolled the whole world.

Paul McCartney? He's not even the most talented songwriter in the Beatles, let alone in Dylan's league. .