Home | About | Donate

Disregarding Privacy, Court Rules Common Cell Surveillance Methods is Legal

Disregarding Privacy, Court Rules Common Cell Surveillance Methods is Legal

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

In a show of "complete disregard" for privacy, a federal appellate court on Wednesday ruled that the warrantless collection of cell phone location data is constitutional.

The Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in United States v. Carpenter that law enforcement can legally request cell site location information (CSLI) without a warrant on the grounds that routing data, which is not as accurate as GPS coordinates, is not protected under the Fourth Amendment.

Why is the precautionary principle not applied with the protection of the public in its most elemental components - individuals - from potentially arbitrary sweeps with invasive methods? A court order seems to be the minimum measure of precaution.
Just from the wikipedia entry:
"The precautionary principle (or precautionary approach) to risk management states that if an action or policy has a suspected risk of causing harm to the public, or to the environment, in the absence of scientific consensus (that the action or policy is not harmful), the burden of proof that it is not harmful falls on those taking an action that may or may not be a risk."

So...if you use wifi for your desktop or laptop this rule will be extended to them as well...it should be painfully obvious to everyone to get hard-wired. I am and even at that it has had a chilling effect. I have shut down my blog/web-site completely. Any further loss of digital rights and I'm unplugging completely. My home has been invaded by the united states of police.