Home | About | Donate

Disturbing New Study Links Fracking Wells to Lower Birth Rates

Disturbing New Study Links Fracking Wells to Lower Birth Rates

Sarah Lazare, staff writer

In an alarming new study, University of Pittsburgh researchers revealed that pregnant parents who live in close proximity to fracking wells are more likely than their counterparts, who live farther away, to have babies with lower birth weights.

Fracking is a great testament to capitalism gone amok. It is insanity. The precautionary principle is nowhere to be found. Can it be stopped?

hi WiseOwl, i agree it is insanity and the precautionary principle is nowhere to be found throughout the pollution of the biosphere debate. Can it be stopped? It can, but only with a massive change in every aspect of our consumer culture from top to bottom.

Financial collapse might do the trick, or environmental collapse or a global Ebola like disaster, or ?, but the political institutions of our times won't they've been captured by short term greed.

Unfortunately the vast majority of people in the industrial world are self-indentured slaves, materialism is their master. Fracking is a symptom, consumer capitalism is the disease. There will be no stopping fracking or feedlots or pesticides or any of 'em, IMO, until the tumbleweeds roll unimpeded through the empty mall parking lots of the industrial world.

No, you are too quick to blame the brainwashed rather than the brainwashers. That is the same mistake neocon corporatists make when they blame the poor for poverty.

The precautionary principle was thrown out the window with the creation of capitalism,the rise of the profit motive as paramount, and belief in "free markets."

Hi Garett, i understand your critique. First, let me assure you my opinion wasn't arrived at 'quickly'.
i agree there are both brainwashed and brainwashers [though i usually call them believers and deceivers in the environmental arena] but humans do have free choice, noone holds a gun to the heads of the believers or the brainwashed.
This is different IMO from those who blame the poor for their poverty in that the poor [who may have made bad choices or not] aren't choosing to be poor so they can justify their entitlements to themselves and sooth their angst through consumption as therapy.

The brainwashers operate on the supply side of the equation. So, i do blame the brainwashers but as demand drives every economic exchange, without the brainwashed consumers buying all the needless crap the brainwashers would have to do something real.

Given the Christian right's obsession with giving blastulae constitutional rights over the mother, you would think they would be all over these statistics and demand further studies. The fracking industry first poisons our drinking water, then turn our faucets into flame throwers, and now they may be harming our unborn. Somehow, I don't believe we will ever see these clowns take any further action since their ideology flows pretty much in a profit>>>god>>male>>class>race>guns>fetus>female>dog direction when it comes to public health.

Important study, but its conclusions are no surprise. This could be expected when 7 billion people exceed their global carrying capacity, depleting remaining resources.

In greed and desperation, we have turned to dangerous technologies like fracking and GMO's that accelerate the entropy in the system. That produce more polluting garbage, disease, crime, war and famine. It may be a more subtle way to kill us off than simpler methods nature usually employs, but the results are the same; lowering populations of the offending organism (in this case, humans).

In the last episode of "Vice", we can see very graphically how this is happening worldwide.

The carrying capacity of the biosphere is not fixed for humans because humans have the ability to change the environment to suit us. All K-selected species of organisms (except for humans) have populations that are regulated about the carrying capacity of the environment. The fact the human population has increased exponentially (it is not regulated) demonstrates that human population growth is not under natural regulators (we invented agriculture to prevent famine and medicine to prevent disease and we have no predators).

GMO's are not dangerous. All domesticated plant and animal species are genetically modified organisms. The domestic dog is a genetically modified wolf.

The problem with the conclusions of this study is that a statistical correlation does not mean a cause and effect relationship exists. Simply because birth defects are correlated with distance from fracking, it does not logically follow that fracking causes birth defects. As the great skeptic David Hume said: "You cannot logically conclude that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning simply because it has done so every day in the past.

Goofar wrote:

'...The problem with the conclusions of this study is that a statistical correlation does not mean a cause and effect relationship exists. Simply because birth defects are correlated with distance from fracking, it does not logically follow that fracking causes birth defects. As the great skeptic David Hume said: "You cannot logically conclude that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning simply because it has done so every day in the past....'

But the authors didn't claim that. From the article:

...They emphasized that the study does not definitively prove a causal relationship between fracking wells and low birth weights, but is certainly cause for concern—and further investigation.

This type of study along with others are good beginnings. Buy why not err on the side of caution/prevention and STOP the fracking? The frackers don't heed the studies just like they are adamant climate change deniers. Besides, how many lives (babies, children, and adults) will be irreparably damaged by the proven dangers of fracking while "research" goes on? The perpetrators certainly could not give a damn...gotta make money no matter what the costs are to all life and the environment.

Your embarrassing ignorance of ecology and use of tortured logic shows you are not giving your Republican bosses their money's worth.