Home | About | Donate

Do You Have a Heart? On Organ Donation, Poverty, and For-Profit Healthcare

Do You Have a Heart? On Organ Donation, Poverty, and For-Profit Healthcare

Mary O’Connor Mack

Is there a difference between someone who dies on a transplant list—waiting for an organ and someone who dies in need of an organ, but was never listed because of their inability to pay? Is it more devastating when someone dies waiting on the list? Does it matter that one group never had a chance? Is the USA’s organ transplant system acceptable?

The reality is, that the “Gift of Life” is a privilege reserved for those who can pay—and the expenses are staggering.

This is a chance for us to force the 1% to give back to the masses. Everyone of them is assigned a lottery number, when an organ is needed for transplant, a number is drawn, when their number is picked the organ is removed and “donated” to the needy patient. Sounds just to me.

Hearts and soullessness

Thus is surprising, as I thought organ donations were based on who best matched an organ. and blood type but----- all people aren’t put on the list? There are some ways of making money that just seem diabolical-----------apparently there are a lot of doctors named Faustus (although I might have spelled that wrong)----just another of the many medical business persons who have sold their souls. : (