Home | About | Donate

Does Biden Have Wrong Position on Anti-Choice Hyde Amendment? Warren: 'Yes... It's Been Wrong for a Long Time'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/06/does-biden-have-wrong-position-anti-choice-hyde-amendment-warren-yes-its-been-wrong

1 Like

To sacrifice the safety of women in their troubled times is beyond pathological. Yes, they are going to get an abortion once that has become their decision–which is their, not my, right. Bringing Jesus into the equation, probably against his will, is sick, sick, sick. The intolerant patriarchal right wing nuts need to be cracked and their seeds need to be denatured. The Enlightenment demands no less.

4 Likes

I am glad to hear this; it makes him much less competitive in the primaries. This lends new meaning to the term “Creepy Joe”; and this guy pretends to be from the working class.
Does he understand the Constitutional meaning of separation of church and state? Is his loyalty to his country or the Pope?

3 Likes

Why is this story, like the last Warren story on CommonDreams, all about Joe Biden versus maybe the #4 candidate? Is this an attempt to split the Progressive vote down the middle so that some moderate candidate can sneak through?

I place Senator Warren at #4 between Pete Buttigieg and Senator Harris based on predictit.org current odds.

3 Likes

Did anybody else see this day Coming? I sure did. The Democratic Party has been moved to the right by the Clintons and their hapless third way for the last thirty years. For that entire time they and their acolytes have been preaching that fiscal conservatism can go hand in hand with social liberalism.
And now the culmination of that thirty years, as the Democratic Party is now trying to sell the party faithful on a more “moderate” stance on abortion, one where it’s ok to limit it at the federal level by not funding the procedure, thereby winking to the states that it’s now ok to limit any and all public funding.
Of course this shouldn’t be a shock coming from the same party who’s hierarchy still believe that giving the private healthcare sector more subsidies would somehow fix the systemic problems that they themselves created with “free market” medicine.
And now the culmination of the Third Ways plans for the Democratic Party, and America. Clinton was the democratic version of Richard Nixon. Obama was the Democratic image of Ronny Ray guns. And now, without further ado I give you the Democratic incarnation of George W Bush. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the brainless, dickless, hopeless, touchy feely, center/ right Joe Biden! That’s right kids! Joe Biden, the Democratic incarnation of the compassionate conservative.

6 Likes

We have Inslee pushing the Climate agenda. We have Bernie and Liz giving us detailed policy after policy. Tulsi and Gravel lighting it up on the anti war front. Even some of the center/left candidates are giving us some good policy ideas. Don’t worry about Joe. He won’t even make it to the first primary.

3 Likes

I wish I had your confidence. Never underestimate Brand D’s ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

2 Likes

I highly recommend reading the Intercept article quoted in this one. Here, I’ll make it easy:

3 Likes

An actual 1974 quote from Uncle Joe right after the Row v. Wade ruling:

“I don’t like the Supreme Court decision on abortion. I think it went too far. I don’t think that a woman has the sole right to say what should happen to her body.”

4 Likes

So, are the polls accurately telling us who we want at the helm, and if so, WTF?
Biden didn’t do anything as VP. He is controversial as past senator, and is carrying some personal negatives. How does all that put him twice as favorable than Bernie? Any honest answers would be welcome.

2 Likes

d-party voters are fixated on who they think is the most likely to unseat Trump. That’s understandable.

What isn’t understandable is their inability to recall what happened in 2016, when the candidate they considered a shoo-in against Trump – a thoroughly corporate-backed, warmongering, establishment sock puppet who actually did what she could to make sure Trump was the Repub nominee – received an ass whooping. What the d-party doesn’t understand about exciting voters on the national level would fill volumes, and they have the results to prove it.

One example: 50% of the electorate doesn’t vote, and instead of reaching out to this constituency with a bold agenda, the d-party has essentially written them off by sticking to the same centrist pablum that turned off lots of those stay-at-home voters in the first place.

Another example: When the mood of the electorate is clearly focused on electing an outsider, the d-party establishment is promoting – you guessed it – the most establishment candidate, Uncle Joe.

Last example: When the d-party had full power under Obama, they chose to pass a moderate healthcare package instead of going full-on single payer. Considering that after passing Romneycare, they were drubbed at the polls (especially the Blue Dogs who didn’t even vote for RomneyCare!), wouldn’t it have been better to take their lumps going boldly while setting themselves up for the future with something the public would learn to love (MFA) instead of setting themselves up for another round of debate revolving around corporate-friendly half measures versus what they could/should have passed in the first place? I mean, damn, MFA is polling extremely well.

Based on my examples, you could be forgiven for believing that the d-party is more invested in making corporate donors happy than winning with liberals.

3 Likes

Never heard that before.

Wow. Just wow.

2 Likes

Well Joe, was that right defined before or after you did whatever you did with her? NEXT!

2 Likes

Evidently, these Bishops also have trouble defining personal space, choice, and telling the truth.

2 Likes

Biden is going to win the nomination because of Warren, Sanders, et al. Others can throw out policy promises like lollipops, make grand plans, and denounce the past as if they were not complicit themselves. Yet not one of them have the understanding of how to turn the ship in order to get it done. If the younger and short sighted progressives could understand this then there could be a plan of some sort. Until then it is all just subjective tantrums of personal sensibilities, and vengeance disguised as some kind of passion.

Thanks for pointing me to this old quote. The full 1974 article it came from was recently reprinted in full at https://www.washingtonian.com/1974/06/01/joe-biden-kitty-kelley-1974-profile-death-and-the-all-american-boy/
It’s an interesting read about the guy.

1 Like

Hope you are right but I made the mistake of misunderestimating the stupidity of the American voters when Reagan kept getting elected. Should have emigrated then when I had the chance. How is that for cynicism?

1 Like

Thank you, the quote is also from the Intercept, some excuse him because it was 1974. Sorry, us old farts remember that was the height of the women’s movement, and if it was more well known he should have been crucified(not literally).
Anyway no excuse, the Catholic church has been the source of untold misery and environmental degradation around the world by more than encouraging profligate breeding; especially among people who can’t afford large families.
My final word is: I hope “Creepy Joe” has had a vasectomy, might make him less of a hypocrite.

1 Like

I think this is a perfect example of why Biden won’t be the nominee. I do believe it will be Warren------Warren has some great message discipline . And I guess part of this discipline is staying away from foreign policy questions. In this townhall with Chris Hayes not ONE question on foreign policy------Hayes even listed the top issues of the day and not one foreign policy issue was listed ??? And if Warren isn’t going to challenge the media-------what kind of President will she make?

When Hayes listed these issues Warren should have interjected and said don’t forget YEMEN-------Trump just authorized a weapons deal with Saudi Arabia going against the will of Congress----this should be an impeachable offence.

THE NATION WITH THE STRONGEST MILITARY IN THE WORLD IS PULVERIZING THE POOREST NATION IN THE WORLD. AND THE AMERICAN PEOPLE HAVE THE POWER TO STOP THIS MADNESS.

1 Like

Women on the view were discussing politics the other day and one made a comment about something George W Bush had done or said. One of the other women said, “Yes but that was in a time of war. We’re not in a time of war now.” The government has accomplished what we thought was impossible, to be at war without the people being aware of what is going on in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Yemen and Venezuaela and Iran looming on the horizon. But, who cares?

2 Likes