Home | About | Donate

Does Iran’s Economic Fate Depend on a Lifeline From China?

Does Iran’s Economic Fate Depend on a Lifeline From China?

Vijay Prashad

It’s hard to predict what will happen in the oil market as the U.S. sanctions on Iran tighten. For now, it looks like India, Japan, South Korea and Turkey will hold off from buying Iranian oil. These countries—with China—had been the main sources of Iran’s foreign exchange. It is unlikely—at the present time—that India, Japan, South Korea and Turkey will break the U.S. siege on Iran. They have made it clear that they do not want to rattle the U.S. cage. Request for new waivers from the U.S. came to naught.

A person grows up being told that America lives as the caring and honest state. So, when the truth of how it devalues and bullies other nations finally emerges—some truths just cannot be denied-------- which is really annoying because we all learned about the Marshall Plan and how wonderful it was for America to rebuild the world.
Of course we also learn that having to rebuild the world comes from a lot of damage that the UK and America created in their siege mentality on the natural resources of other nations. And then, to find out that many of the Germans who developed means of torture were hired by America to keep up their bad work.
Government—it makes it very difficult to trust anything you say—and the crazy thing is that WE the People are also some of the People doing all this crap. TRUST is such a difficult bond to build----and yet so easy to destroy.
I truly hope that China will help the People of Iran: every bully has its day, and I do not believe that starving a nation of people by denying them food and medicine is anything that any nation with a conscience would stand for. And this goes for Venezuela too! Maybe it all comes down to having a conscience and living it everyday. But America, if you can’t fix this, you are ,“sans eyes, sans hope, sans everything.” : (

1 Like

I agree with your sentiments about China making a commitment to Iran. The arrival of Russian troops in Vz seems to have had a positive result, Chine could do the same in Iran.
We need to stop bugging Iran and instead badger Israel into thinking about de-nuking, and to stop it’s settlements, new and old.

1 Like

Hi Gandolf Yes—in a Bolton-esque world, I suppose he thinks that nuking another nation would have no effect on the precarious state of the planet. Couldn’t he just be taken on a tour of Guantanamo. and then of course, completely forgotten about. : )
De-nuking Israel would be a great first step. De-nuking America would be a great 2nd step. : )