Home | About | Donate

Does Obama's Nuclear Modernization Make the Unthinkable 'Thinkable'?

Does Obama's Nuclear Modernization Make the Unthinkable 'Thinkable'?

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

A new investigative report on Monday sheds light on the United States' modernization of its nuclear arsenal and the details are troubling: weapons that are smaller, more accurate, and potentially more "thinkable"—and a president who, critics say, has turned his back on hope for a global weapons ban.

In the race to the Finnish, Climate Change and Nuclear Holocaust are neck and neck approaching the final turn. Reason was disqualified while Democracy, first out the gate, stumbled, fell and was pronounced dead before the first turn.

That anyone can still think of Obama as anything less than a deliberate, homicidal maniac who is more than willing to destroy us all, is incredible to me. And yet I still hear and read such remarks that seem to imply that his moral compass is merely needing some fine tuning or a reminder from them that he has inadvertently strayed off his intended course.
I am afraid that he is bringing us dangerously close to Porky and his famous sign off.

you have to admit the new color scheme is quite fetching

Yes, quite. Cluck.

And looky, it has its own little dolly.

The Democrat Party establishment still portray Harry Truman as one of the greatest Presidents. Many, in the US, continue to argue in support of the US exploding nuclear bombs over the civilian populations of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, killing several hundreds of thousands of civilian men, women, and children.

Now, the US faces no existential threat. The only threat to US military personnel is in foreign lands where the US government chooses to deploy its forces into areas experiencing conflict. Nonetheless, Republicans and Democrats continue to back the US government's extra-judicial mass murder by drones, special forces, and/or as part of their 'crowd killing' programs, on the grounds that "We're at War."

The development of modernized nuclear weapons makes is very likely that a precipitating event, such as a major 'terrorist' attack, conflict over a natural limited natural resource, or an unacceptable action by an 'enemy' leader, will lead to the US government promoting the fear necessary to deploy these weapons.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Does anyone besides me, think we are living in a nuclear insane Asylum?

" Every inhabitant of this planet must contemplate the day when this planet may no longer be inhabitable. Every man, woman, and child lives under a sword of Damocles, hanging by the slenderest of threads, being capable of being cut at any moment by accident or miscalculation or by madness. The weapons of war must be abolished before they abolish us. ---- John F. Kennedy.

Armageddon tired of that whole doomsday scenario thing.

Cluck cluck cluck.

The publicly displayed Obama tears apparently extend only as far as a political photo-op but nowhere near a functional moral compass or leadership even remotely resembling what we should expect from the term.

With MMGW arriving I guess the US must prepare for Global Thermo-Nuclear War to protect us all, or maybe its just profits as usual for the MICC war-machine. Trillions for military spending for death and little for civilian priorities for life.

This despicable person (a reasonable label for his perfidy) has been the greatest political disapointment and betrayer of human values in my lifetime! I expect this kind of psychopath idiocy and corruption from RepubliCons who don't even bother to dissemble, but when one runs on progressive issues then throws all such issues and progressives themselves under the bus it is really infuriating....glad to see others feel similar....problem is people who recognize lies and deceit when they see them are not enough or incensed enough to change the status quo.......and the beat of deceit goes-on.....

Thank you Raven - this also brings to mind the words of Adlai Stevenson:

"We travel together, passengers on a little space ship, dependent on its vulnerable reserves of air and soil; all committed for our safety to its security and peace; preserved from annihilation only by the care, the work, and, I will say, the love we give our fragile craft. We cannot maintain it half fortunate, half miserable, half confident, half despairing, half slave—to the ancient enemies of man—half free in a liberation of resources undreamed of until this day. No craft, no crew can travel safely with such vast contradictions. On their resolution depends the survival of us all."

True, what a horrible helpless feeling!

Russia already has what we want, so this is just catch up. We kept pushing Russia as any good bully does, so Russia just did what anybody does when dealing with a bully. The world has way to many people now anyway, so it is this or disease and starvation. Historically disease and starvation do the job better. They don't leave as much toxic waste either. Are only hope is that HAL will be able to control everything. HA!

Crappy healthcare, prescription drugs unaffordable, endless wars, Social Security under pressure, falling wages, education out of reach, infrastructure and the middle class collapsing before our very eyes, environmental and climate degradation beyond all imagination and where do we put our energy our money our hopes? Into suicide weapons that can be used only at the risk of total universal destruction. This has to stop. It can not continue.

We are used to chicken hawks, generals, politicians and other idiot conservatives of our generation wanting to kill each other in reactionary fear, greed and bloodthirst. We may say let them, but making the world uninhabitable for future generations is unconscionable.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Oh good. A nuclear weapon with less "collateral damage" Wow! Can I play soldiers NOW, Daddy Obama?

What an effing useleSs POTUS that man has turned out to be. I suppose the Republicans have been twisting his arm so he had no choice but to approve 1 trillion dollars to be spent on yet another insane arms race led by insane militarists.

" We are Earth People , on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest , our Earth walk , is to look within, to know who we are , to see that we are connected to all things , that there is no separation , only in the mind. ",, Lakota Seer

Right you are, Cyn. (By the way, Redwing was in 1956, I'm older than you think. :wink:)
* Now, apparently, they are developing "Dial-a-Bomb". You can dial in the strength of the nuclear annihilation you are going to visit on a city or an industrial park.
"Now hear this, you will receive a warning shot. We do not want to destroy your capitol, we will just put a one megaton bomb in the northwest corner of the city. If you do not immediately surrender to our demands, the second shot will be five megatons in the city center. The choice is yours."
* And so, the Reich continues to develop its own new style of diplomacy and negotiation.
* Sheesh!
;-})