Home | About | Donate

"Don’t Agonize, Organize!": Internet Defenders Erupt to Kill FCC's Plan to Kill Net Neutrality

"Don’t Agonize, Organize!": Internet Defenders Erupt to Kill FCC's Plan to Kill Net Neutrality

Jon Queally, staff writer

Defenders of the Internet have promised one "hell of a fight"—and now that day is here.

I don’t think anyone can contend that the Democrats are on the side of Big Business on this one. Check out the map and protect net neutrality.

some context to assert

We here that post our comments and emotions freely without censorship should be donating to Commondreams. I am unable to do so until the 3rd of next month and then I will as I try to do each month. It may be only a box of pencils worth but I try. Free and open dialog cannot suffer, it must ring out loud and clear, Please help our friends keep this site alive and well. Thanks, Gilbert

Both parties are on the side of huge corporations on this because of the corporate donations when legislators and presidential candidates run for office.

What is net neutrality and what does it mean for me?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/02/24/net-neutrality-what
Feb 24, 2015 · A: Net neutrality, or open Internet, is the principle that Internet service providers (ISPs) should give consumers access to all legal content and applications on an equal basis, without favoring some sources or blocking others.

This only adds to my impression that we are headed for a government of the corporations, by the corporations and for the corporations. Trump also a part of this corporate-ization of America.

Well of course give credit where it is due, and also put that credit into context to see just how big the credit should be.

Most Democrats are indeed for net neutrality, great. This activism is great and I’m doing what I can.

Corporate State Democrats however are largely responsible for the power these telecommunications companies currently have.

To the chagrin of you and Corporate State Democrat apologists on this forum, I will link to a lovely article that details how the Telecommunications Act of 1996 pushed for and signed by Bill Clinton has everything to do with the prospect of just a handful of companies having the power they now have.

Remember how dicey it was when the former FCC Chairman, Wheeler, an industry insider, was nominated by Obama? How it took a groundswell of activism to convince Wheeler to embrace internet neutrality?

Yes, give Democrats generally credit on this, but lets put the current dilemma in context.

And now for a little 90s PTSD…

Here is a snippet from the article

The Telecommunications Act of 1996 is not merely a regrettable part of history. It serves as a stern warning about what is at stake in the future. In a media world that is going through a massive transformation, media companies have dramatically increased efforts to wield influence in Washington, with a massive lobbying presence and a steady dose of campaign donations to politicians in both parties - with the goal of allowing more consolidation, and privatizing and commodifying the internet.

This issue has not been central in the 2016 presidential election. But it is deeply concerning that, of all the presidential candidates running in 2016, the Big Media lobby has chosen to back Hillary Clinton. Media industry giants have donated way more to her than any other candidate in the race, according to data from the Center for Responsive Politics. In light of this, we must be mindful of the media reform challenges we face in the present, as we try to prevent the type of damage to our democracy that was caused by the passing of this unfortunate law.

BREAK YOUR ADDICTION to the damnocrats and open your damned eyes to REALITY!!!

Well done, chicken!

SWISH chicken! Couldn’t add anything if I wanted to. Bingo.

Yes but… Hillary lost.

Oy vey.

Amusing. Nevertheless it proves the will of the masses has triumphal strength… as it should. A little weasel is about to experience this.

I can’t help the fact that you have a very narrow grasp of what has happened in this country relative to corporate money and power.

Someday, you just might see the light. Not likely, but maybe. Good luck.

The 1996 Telecommunications Act (S.652) passed the House 414-16 https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/104-1996/h25

And in the Senate 91-5. https://www.congress.gov/bill/104th-congress/senate-bill/652/actions

But the Duopoly doesn’t exist. Ah-ah. Just a conspiracy theory. Just paranoia.

To his credit, Bernie voted against. The other 15 no votes in the house were actual progressive Dems. Can you find that many today? 4 Dems and John McCain voted no in the Senate.

Oh I know what’s happened, PC. But I happen to have unshakable faith in God. God is the ultimate champion of His children. Give faith a try. You’ll be amazed.

Oh my God.

With that lowest of the low insult, seriously go ____, er, go cluck yourself jerk.

My sincerest apologies, PC. You are a believer. Again my sincerest apologies.

Whether or not I’m a believer is not yours to judge, jerk. Take an argument about policy and drive it straight into the muck. Yes I criticized your perceptions regarding such, but good grief, really?

You take it to the nth degree and cast me as not passing some spiritual pedigree?

That kind of insult is why I left organized religion a very long time ago, after being raised in a Southern Baptist Church.

Thanks for reminding me of my sound decision.

I’m truly sorry PC. Although I have my opinions I never mean to cause offense to anyone. I could remain totally silent. Perhaps that would be preferable.

Accepted. My sense of justice informs my opinions. I’m not perfect, I can be a jerk. That higher sense of seeking a more equitable society certainly doesn’t come from a space of anti-Christ. Where it comes from? I’ll let you be the judge.