Home | About | Donate

Don’t Let the Lowering of the Flag Be Another Hollow Reconciliation

Don’t Let the Lowering of the Flag Be Another Hollow Reconciliation

Shawn Leigh Alexander
The Confederate battle flag will no longer fly on the statehouse grounds in South Carolina. A reality that is a remarkable turn of events less than a month after the massacre at Charleston’s Emmanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church. As has been explained many times in recent weeks, the flag was placed on the capital dome in the 1960s as a defiant response to the victories of the modern civil rights movement. The removal of the flag from the state capital is a welcome sight, but the action is symbolic and will not solve much of anything. Racism, violence and whit

Removal from Wal-Mart et al. is far more powerful than removal from the public venue, however the latter is far more important.

I live in the Bible belt and bike ride most evenings with my dogs. My route takes me down lots of rural roads and lately I've noticed that 3 places put up Confederate flags. I'd never seen them flown here before. It's identification with hate groups and/or retaliation against the South Carolina decision. And ugly!

So with regards to this, no doubt noble aspiration:

"Let us stamp out hate groups and find and prosecute domestic terrorists and their sympathizers.."

Hatred can never be stamped out. What can shift it--like alchemy--are understanding, truth and reconciliation commissions, forgiveness, and bringing the wounds borne of darkness to the Light.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people."

This "logic" is actually an empty argument. Things do matter, including guns.

Hey let's give loaded guns to every non-convicted person in the USA. None of those guns will ever "jump off" and kill anyone. Logical, just like the actual arguments that we should put loaded guns in every classroom in the USA.

Using "citizens' ability to defend themselves against crime and tyranny" as an excuse for enabling the gun deaths of tens of thousands in the USA every year is a common tactic, but not an effective one for its stated purpose.

i disagree with your conclusions, and almost every point you make in support of your argument, i see as a support to my argument. Here's one example:

"Since the beginning of time people have killed with rocks, sticks, vehicles, hands, feet, weapons, animals and poisons. There is no country on this planet free from murder with or without guns."

Great, so let's arm everyone with tools specially designed and highly effective at killing in an instant!

i presume neither of us will be persuaded by the arguments of the other on this matter.