Home | About | Donate

Don’t Thank Me Anymore... Just Care for Veterans Who Return and Work To End All War

Don’t Thank Me Anymore... Just Care for Veterans Who Return and Work To End All War

Michael McPhearson

This past Saturday morning in Saint Louis, MO I was walking home when I saw a people gathering and portions of the street being blocked. I live downtown, so it could have been another run, walk or festival. I asked someone who looked like a participant and he told me it was for the Veterans Day Parade. I was a bit surprised because Veterans Day is Wednesday. He went on to say the parade was being done on Saturday because planners were not sure if they could get enough parade spectators on Wednesday.

I watched a movie last night with Christian Bale as a government agent that would kill anyone suspected of having feelings. This would supposedly prevent wars deemed to be started by people with feelings.

I think it would have been successful in preventing wars if instead they gave conservatives psychiatric treatment.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The parades of perfidy

Correct. No one wins a war. The winner is decided on who loses the least. If you think the USA and Russia won WWII just look at the graves, same with Vietnam, Korea and now the Middle East.

People do not care, because almost all of the cannon fodder are from Flyover Country, the hollowed-out crazy-ass evangelical-dominated Heartland. They go into the armed forces because that's the only economic option, and when they returned after their time in the useless war theater, nothing's changed. Poverty, alcohol, drug abuse, violence.... what a shock.

I know in our worship-the-military "culture" (with paid pageantry at football games!) you are not supposed to state the obvious, but this emperor is sporting third-degree burns.

Endgame, et al the reason there is little interest in this thread is the great majority of those who post here not only haven't a clue about the reasons there are those who choose to serve nor what life was like prior to the end of the draft, which btw most have never faced the limited choices at the time. Even more unfortunate are those who truly hate those who have served in the military as well as their wives and families who supported them because the think they were each and every one fools. The same who attack any one who mentions, as I have, having lost a spouse as the result of Agent Orange, have also attacked me for having loved a man who made his choice and who was proud to have flown out the wounded and bodies though he hated the useless war he was a part of. Not a doubt in my mind, though I'm hardly the only members that has had such experience, those compassionate "progressives"will not hesitate to attack this post as is typical. So tomorrow for those, who as the vet who wrote the post, I will continue to hate war, but not those who for their own personal reasons served and continue to do so.

So sad. I hated the Vietnam Nam war also. My brother still has nightmares. I spent three years of my young life in the Verdun area of France where the deadliest battles of WW1 were fought. I used to dig up bombs as a child. The best way to stop war is to honor every true soldiers dream and that is to not start one. The Ossuary of Verdun is a symbol of how terrible war is. Visiting this site made me aware of the horrors of war. I chose to be a conscientious objector during Vietnam Nam war. In WW2 I have no doubt I would have fought against Hitler, Hirotio and Mussolini. To me that mentality was anti-human. The right wing in this country because of ignorance seems to be going down the same path. I will fight them till they are defeated once again. I am sure that most people feel the same way. The greatest generation knew they were pure evil. My dad fought in the Battle of the Bulge where his buddies got executed at Malmedy. He would throughout his life yell out kill them, kill them all. He meant the Nazis. He was right. We should have killed them all.

Endgame and the author of this piece, I say this to everyone who says "thank you for your service"; everyone. Thanks to you both for reminding me there are actually people out there, people who served for one reason or another and those who are serving to promote peace in the world, who feel this way. Every day I have to fight back the anger I feel at the atrocities my country is committing in my name and the the rote ignorance of those words, " thank you for your service." Kind of like "I pledge allegiance........."

The ONLY reason we have fought any of the wars since WWII is so that the corporations of the MIC can continue to enrich themselves at the cost of far too many lives. I can't say that goddamned trite phrase b/c as the author says, we should be 'fighting' to end these MIC-enriching hunger games, but instead we say crap like 'thank you for your service' or 'sorry for your loss' when we are neither thankful or sorry so long as our lives continue along on their meaningless path!

Pwr 2 the WAR-WEARY peons!
GUILLOTINE COMPLACENCY!

On this Armistice Day ( yeah, I still call it that) my thoughts and prayers are on the soldiers, both old and young, and their families. I am 100 percent behind Sanne80 on her sentiments. Some "Compassionate Progressives" somehow think it is ok to spew the most vile hate at veterans and their families. They call them stupid, uneducated, murderers, ect al. This is a lie, and they are liars.

I have worked with military people for decades (martial arts instructor) and I can assure you that most of them are highly intelligent, dedicated, wonderful people. I can, and do, have huge problems with how the military is used...but not with the men and women that have chosen to serve. To attack them is beneath contempt.

As Jack Pershing ( commander of the AEF during World War I) said.. " No one prays more fervently for peace than the soldier, for he knows what war really is.. "

I am a veteran of the unjust war against Vietnam (21-months in combat).
Last night at a meeting of progressive Democrats (PDA) I met a
man who went to prison for being a conscientious objector during
the Korean war (''police action'').
I thanked him for being willing to go to prison for his convictions.
During the war against Vietnam, many went to Canada -- and I understand
their need to make that decision.
But to those who went to prison for non-compliance with the military
conscription laws or for their anti-war activism,
-- which took much more courage than my giving up a college
deferment to go fight a war in Vietnam,
-- I say thank you for the courage of your conviction.
And to those who have served time in jail for their anti-war activism
-- under Bush & Obama -- I say thank you.

Yep. The real spat upon are not the troops. They are, instead, the conscientious objectors and "hippies" who were steadfast in their beliefs that Vietnam was wrong and refused to have anything to do with it. No medals for these folks. 4 dead in Ohio. Doors slammed in the face during the McGovern campaign. The scorn of Nixonian "Republicans." The self-righteous condemnation by even the "veterans" who never went into harms way. Thanks, elkojohn.

By the counting of the graves, the USA did indeed win WWII. 600,000 dead vs over 20 million suffered by the Russians. By counting the dead, the Germans and the Japanese didn't lose so badly either.

Too bad that Twain wasn't familiar with the grimmer statistics that come from industrialized war. I'm sure there'd still be three kinds of lies, and one abominable concept.

You are confused. If you believe that war is wrong, which you seem to do, then any war is wrong.

Including WWII.

When W.S. Churchill was asked what they should call what came to be known as WWII, he said that we should call it the "Unnecessary War".

As a Marine Vietnam Veteran (Combat Intelligence NCO assigned to battalion Scouts), I offer these insights as "ground intelligence" to protect and defend our Constitution and Nation:

The Media is Mightier Than War ©

“War Is a Racket...It is conducted for the benefit of the very few, at the expense of the very many. Out of war a few people make huge fortunes." U.S. Marine Corps, Major General Smedley D. Butler, twice recipient of the Medal of Honor; and anti-Fascist.

Legitimacy of moral life depends on the willingness of men and women to struggle with such questions before they decide what to do. Karl Jaspers, a Jewish-tainted German WW II philosopher notes, “all men, like all nations, are tested twice in the moral realm ~ first by what they do, then by what they make of what they do. A condition of responsibility denotes a kind of second chance: men are, as if by a kind of grace, given a chance to repay to the living what it is they find themselves owing the dead.”

Arthur Engendorf, a fellow Vietnam Veteran author notes, “healing is the way we restore ourselves...with a little help from our friends, we can heal ourselves, even from war...healing culminates in a renewed vision of what is possible for us and our world. In light of this vision, our individual healing shifts from being the center of attention to an instance of much more encompassing possibility ~ healing for all humanity.”

Americans have experienced a long, challenging, courageous and often treacherous history of implementing democratic social change based on their inalienable rights and self-interests.(See Howard Zinn's "A Peoples History of the United States.") However, we have been systematically blocked and unable to participate, let alone influence US Foreign Policy and its devastating impacts on our serving military, veterans and their families, communities, cultures and countries. (See Dr. Andrew Bacevich's "Breach of Trust", and Paul Pillar's "Intelligence and U.S. Foreign Policy.")

When it comes to defending, protecting and healing our troops, Veterans and their families, herein lays the “moral essence” of US citizen obligation ~~ ordinary Americans must begin to deeply understand the very complex nature of genuine fears, threats, and the required measured responses, which will eliminate the obsolete components, assumptions and foundations of post-World War II U.S. "Folly" Policy, and the shocking slaughter, sufferings and economic and environmental degradation that continues to impact communities here and abroad.

We The People...must rethink our political and diplomatic relations, passionately reflecting on and changing the values and allegiances that continue to have profound and brutal impacts on hundreds of millions of men, women, and children. We must stalwartly influence our foreign policy decisions, protecting them for Seven Generations (Iroquois Wisdom).

WTP are the Best and Brightest and ultimately responsible for these decisions, and must instruct our government employees (and their minions) about the great truths for solving our most dangerous problems. This historical struggle is about our core values, beliefs and ideals of our diminishing democracy, its vision and the underlying humanitarian principles and values inherent in our Constitution, Declaration of Independence and most international treaties that inspire us to take peaceful actions to protect our world and humanity...when we choose.

This task will take incredible “moral courage” as intense and sustained as our honorable warriors serving in harms’ way purportedly protecting our nation and way of life. Get 'R Done America...Treasure Life.

Semper Fidelis,

David DeChant
Jarhead Clan
Veteran For Peace