Home | About | Donate

Donald Trump Is America's Shadow

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/22/donald-trump-americas-shadow

1 Like

I feel a cold lump of lead in my stomach when I realize that push is quickly coming to shove as this country descends into the madness of fascism. Will we all be good Germans? If F%&k head is ensconced for another term, all people of conscience must seriously consider putting everything on the line to resist the most dangerous evil the world has ever faced. Our grotesquely bloated nuclear armed military are now simply thugs used to kick in the door of any nation that sits atop resources coveted by US corporations. Our “leadership” is almost entirely infested with criminally insane sociopaths owned by these corporations. The most odious ones inhabiting the White House. We will have nothing to lose. Continuing to do nothing will doom us all as our planet is destroyed. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

4 Likes

Our Fort Lauderdale newspaper editors wrote: " Trump claimed in 2017 that he lost the popular vote because millions of people voted illegally (they didn’t). In 2018 he said North Korea was no longer a nuclear threat (it is). And in 2019 he said windmills cause cancer (they don’t). Just last week he claimed the media fabricated unfavorable results from his campaign’s internal polling (it didn’t). Trump insults political opponents and national heroes alike with middle-school taunts. He demonstrates no capacity for empathy or remorse. He misuses his office to punish opponents, as when he recently called for a boycott of AT&T to get even with his least favorite media outlet, CNN. He tears down institutions, once airily suggesting the U.S. should try having a leader for life as China now allows.

1 Like

Full disclosure: the guy is just god-awful.

However, Trump is not “America’s Shadow” all by himself. He ascendency certainly pulled the mask off, but American exceptionalism has historically been a widespread cultural condition, the result of generations of propaganda. My own childhood was steeped in it. Much of which he is guilty has been going on for a long time, albeit with more finesse. Jung also talked about the collective unconscious, wherein such things as the mythos of national identity reside. Perhaps that constellation is starting to unravel. The Orange Don is a glimpse into the mirror. Not a pleasant sight.

1 Like

trump. Rude, disrespectful, and intolerant. The fact that he is an unabashed serial liar is the mold and mildew atop the cake.
He sounds horrible, frightening to dance to, I give him a three. Actually Dick Clark would be hiding under the bandstand.

usa has never had a better angel. trump is who we are from the start,

I’m confused. WHEN has a president NOT been a shadow figure/reflection of 'MuriKa’s shadow? When is the last time we had a president who was also NOT a mass-murderer? A corporate lackey? What is new here? And what is this about a country gets the leader it deserves? How can we stop electing Fascists for president? And after the last election, why does anyone including this author think that polls aren’t anything other than just corporate media manipulation? Will this election be any different than arranging deck chairs on the Titanic? Gopherit