Home | About | Donate

Donald Trump’s Dark and Scary Night

Donald Trump’s Dark and Scary Night

Bill Moyers, Michael Winship

The GOP’s new big dog blew the whistle Thursday night for nearly an hour and a half and it was loud and shrill enough to reach the ears of every angry, resentful, disaffected white American. The tone was divisive, dark, dystopian and grim.

Here was the alpha dog of the von Trump family, baying at a blood-red moon that the hills are alive with the sounds of menace.

Schwartz on Trump

An equally frightening appraisal of Donald Trump comes from
his co-author of THE ART OF THE DEAL, Tony Schwartz. Twice interviewed during
the Republican Convention on MSNBC, Schwartz emphasizes the shortness of
Trump's attention span. Evidence of this comes, I would submit, when Trump is
not reading the words of somebody else on a teleprompter, whenever he is
speaking off the cuff which happens most of the time. And Schwartz says he
experienced Trump's limited attention span first hand in trying to work with
him.

Trump's lawyers of course are coming at Schwartz for daring to say such a
thing, also that Trump is compulsive and apt to fly off the handle (much more
than his daughter Ivanka, I would again submit). The lawyers have asked that
Schwartz return his royalties earned from the book.

Schwartz meanwhile insists that he wasn't co-author but rather the whole
author. And relates calling his agent from a plane to try and give up on the
project because Trump's limited attention span made completion of the book so
impossible.

The solution came in a brainstorm Schwartz himself had. He decided not to
question Trump any more but rather just witness him while he was on the
telephone making deals.

Schwartz says the reason he is at this time coming forward is that no one else
who really knows Trump well is willing to reveal such a negative truth.

His greatest fear, Schwartz said, is that Trump's compulsiveness will easily
lead us into World War.

Will the predictable or unpredictable candidate win?

I am not sure what your nick name is intended to mean.
But that has to be one of the most purposeless distasteful and arrogant comments I have read here in a long time.

It is worth reading the entire lengthy article at the New Yorker.

ah, yes, old school: Let the system fall and implode!
Except it's a lot less pleasant if you're not - like I am - part of a fairly shielded segment of society. And no one is shielded when Trump shuts down renewable energy and opens the floodgates for climate change. No one.

When President Obama was running for the Democratic Party nomination, I wondered which was more powerful in American politics--racism or misogamy. I suspected racism was the more powerful. But, turns out, misogamy, often disguised, is more powerful.

"Together, we will lead our party back to the White House, and we will lead our country back to safety, prosperity, and peace. We will be a country of generosity and warmth. But we will also be a country of law and order.

Our convention occurs at a moment of crisis for our nation. The attacks on our police, and the terrorism in our cities, threaten our very way of life. Any politician who does not grasp this danger is not fit to lead our country.

Americans watching this address tonight have seen the recent images of violence in our streets and the chaos in our communities. Many have witnessed this violence personally. Some have even been its victims.

I have a message for all of you: The crime and violence that today afflicts our nation will soon — and I mean very soon come to an end. Beginning on January 20th 2017, safety will be restored."

"When I take the oath of office next year, I will restore law and order to our country.

"I will work with, and appoint, the best prosecutors and law enforcement officials in the country to get the job properly done. In this race for the White House, I am the law and order candidate."

"Lastly, and very importantly, we must immediately suspend immigration from any nation that has been compromised by terrorism until such time as proven vetting mechanisms have been put in place. We don't want them in our country."

"An amendment, pushed by Lyndon Johnson, many years ago, threatens religious institutions with a loss of their tax-exempt status if they openly advocate their political views. Their voice has been taken away. I will work hard to repeal that language and to protect free speech for all Americans."

That's the Bad and Ugly.

The Good:

"We must abandon the failed policy of nation- building and regime change that Hillary Clinton pushed in Iraq, Libya, in Egypt, and Syria."

"My opponent, on the other hand, has supported virtually every trade agreement that has been destroying our middle class. She supported NAFTA, and she supported China's entrance into the world trade organization. Another one of her husband's colossal mistakes and disasters. She supported the job killing trade deal with South Korea. She she supported the Trans-Pacific Partnership which will not only destroy our manufacturing but it will make America subject to the rulings of foreign governments. And it is not going to happen.

I pledge to never sign any trade agreement that hurts our workers, or that diminishes our freedom and Independence. We will never ever sign bad trade deals."

I'm no fan of Clinton, I just didn't feel that rose to the level of good, since it went along with his law and order push.

Thank you, bloomcounty, for widening the conversation. It is at such moments I'm reminded why I like Common Dreams so much-- not for niggling, captious digs of one poster aimed at another but for-- as I already said-- "widening the conversation." And widening the thought that underlies good conversation. Here's another url for people who want to hear Tony Schwartz talk about all of this on audio. (http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/trumps-remorseful-ghostwriter)

So the right-wing populists worked like hell against the Repub
establishment to give us Trump to vote for.

The left-wing populists worked really hard against the Dem
establishment to give us Bernie to vote for.
BUT . . .
the Dem establishment using Debbie S, et.al. and every trick
in the book stole the nomination from Bernie.

Hello voting bimbos,
do what that horrible man, Trump,
or that establishment hack, Hillary.

Let's see,
what if I vote Jill Stein or Gary Johnson?

And if Trump wins, maybe the Dem leadership will play fair
with the nomination process next time --
so that Donald will only be a 1-term presidential disaster.

Hello Obama, Harry, Nancy, Debbie, Bill, Hillary . . .
-- you can scare some of the people some of the time,
-- but you can't scare all of the people all of the time.

Or to quote GWB:
Scare me once (John McCain), shame on you
Scare me twice (Mitt Romney) -- well you know what I mean.

Oh yeah, like JFK's death was ALL Moyers fault, gimme a break!

The RNC convention was boiler plate hate and law 'n order BS to the tenth power. Oh hell, it went well beyond the tenth power...
All of the 'messages' therein are base brain stem fear triggers, again, beyond the tenth power.
The outright lies, lies and more lies and the fact free zone of the convention truly makes me sick.

Disaffection with government is not a matter of skin color.

Why the attempt to distract of issues of incompetence and failure, from outdated reliance on force and threats of violence?

This is an opportunity for the nation to enter a purgative time, in which these "angry, frightened white males" can be lined up and given the stuff of their nightmares, directly, with the guns they are afraid of giving up.

F*** 'em all!!

(and I'm not black)

More importantly, does it really matter?

Trump digs coal.Seen at the RNC hate fest.

Judging from many of the comments, there are a lot of Trump lovers here. Idiots.

Please stop with the tired old identity politics. It is the very reason Trump has risen to power. PEOPLE ARE SICK OF BEING LABELED.

Sorry to burst your bubble, kallimachus, but Moyers and Winship were absolutely correct in their analogy of Trump's acceptance speech. Trump is like a modern-day Torquameda....it's pretty scary!

Heaven help us all if Trump takes the Oval Office in the fall.