Home | About | Donate

Donald Trump's Pick for Spy Chief Took Hard Line on Snowden, Guantanamo, and Torture

Donald Trump's Pick for Spy Chief Took Hard Line on Snowden, Guantanamo, and Torture

Jenna McLaughlin, The Intercept

Colleagues of former Sen. Dan Coats, R-Ind., describe the septuagenarian as competent and congenial — the “Mister Rogers” of Republicans, as Sen. Cory Gardner, R-Colo., said — but his positions on issues including NSA surveillance, Edward Snowden, torture, and Guantanamo Bay are bound to spark arguments with civil libertarians as Congress debates his nomination today by President-elect Donald Trump to succeed James Clapper as director of national intelligence.

Just asking: after Trump and his Fascist, Reich, are sworn in this month, will Snowden be in jeopardy of being extradited to the U.S. and tried for treason? Sent to Guantanamo, or worse?

In political circles Dan Coates was widely known as an imbecile and yes man.
Has anybody noticed that nearly all of Trumps appointees share the same characteristics?
Welcome to government by the Peter Príncipal, or its modern equivalent, Idiocracy.

A man who some thought had Alzheimer's disease, too. Which played a role in his not seeking re-election, as well. Ronald Rogers with a string ray in his attic, listening to his neighbors' conversations, so he can yell, " Get off my lawn now! I called the police! Don't make me grab my shotgun! "

We can have autocracy or we can have democracy, but we can't have both.

American democracy would be a coop with 318.9 million members, one person, one vote.

Online Direct Democracy

Yes, Putin is no doubt thinking Snowden will be a fine inauguration peace-gift to Trump. He will even provide the plane and fuel.

I presume that Snowden is smart enough to have already have gone underground and into hiding. Hopefully there is a sympathetic dissident Muscovite who will provide a remote backwoods dacha with a secret hiding space for him to use.

Who is Ronald Rogers and what is a "sting ray"?

I think he'll hold on to Snowden. Snowden is not a free man, here or in Russia.

They're both items we could of done without, thank you very much. Ronald Reagan and vanilla cell towers actually equallying false cell towers; used by an obnoxious Security State to listen in on us, without a warrant or a good reason.:wink:

As long as he still has information to feed the Russian agencies and is useful as a propaganda tool he'll be safe. After that, yeah, bad stuff might be in store for him.

Snowden did not feed Russian agencies anything - he destroyed all copies after handing them to over the Greenwald and the London Guardian. There is no reason to believe that he would be so stupid as to hold onto copies of information that is no longer any use to him and be open to accusations of selling secrets to another government.

And at any rate with the US and Russia soon to become a bosom-buddy oil-gangster-capitalist axis like the world has never seen, there is not going to be any need for espionage or propaganda except jointly by both countries. So Snowden has lost his usefulness to Putin except as a gift to Trump - like John the Baptist's head on a platter.

You are no doubt correct, but I would fervently hope you are wrong! Snowden has been through so much already, for exposing the truth. Thanks for your reply.

All I know about Dan Coats is that he couldn't be any worse than James Clapper, who is currently working feverishly to provoke a new Cold War with Russia during the last days of Obama's thoroughly disappointing administration.

Yeah, Russia and China, aided his flight to Moscow out of good will. Please, most of us are grownups. Just read previous articles, even here on CD. There was whole network of safe houses and support personnel in Hong Kong at his disposal.

All those power point presentations that The Intercept release from time to time were just to embarrass the US. The real juicy stuff is what's keeping him safe in Moscow.

Yes, trumps picks are controversial - they are designed to be. they are designed to move 1% America toward even more vast wealth, usury, exploitation, and power - "business" used and viewed as a bludgeon against others, as the "picker" has intended and as he has lived his entire life. The life of a contemptible, pathetic excuse for a human being - who espouses and exhibits the worst behaviors and betrayals of human endeavor - an astonishing ignorance born of greedy self-interest and ambition, really caring or being concerned for nothing but a bloated vicious ego, pathetic narcissism, and general contempt for all except the vulture capitalist model he espouses.

The obverse of this model of life is shown dramatically in the beautiful ad heartfelt words of Meryl Streep last night.

"An actor’s only job is to enter the lives of people who are different from us and let you feel what that feels like. And there were many, many, many powerful performances this year that did exactly that, breathtaking, compassionate work. There was one performance this year that stunned me. It sank its hooks in my heart. Not because it was good. There was nothing good about it. But it was effective and it did its job. It made its intended audience laugh and show their teeth. It was that moment when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter. Someone he outranked in privilege, power and the capacity to fight back. It kind of broke my heart when I saw it. I still can’t get it out of my head because it wasn’t in a movie. It was real life.

And this instinct to humiliate, when it’s modeled by someone in the public platform, by someone powerful, it filters down into everybody’s life, ’cause it kind of gives permission for other people to do the same thing.

Disrespect invites disrespect. Violence incites violence. And when the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose."

Those words of spirit, integrity and deep humanity were met with the usual despicable, shallow, and reprehensible response......................

From your utterances Mr Coats you seem to be one who would be more at home in the former KGB. Secrecy, hiding your crimes of govt from the public looks like your modus operandi. Maybe you need to listen to JFK's speech on open govts. CIA types , criminals in action, your milieu .

And he also was known to down a full bottle of wine for lunch while picking at the meal...not unlike Boehner. At the very least Coates' brain is pickled, which suits T-dump's criteria for populating his administration. Easier to manipulate....